U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-14-2009, 04:52 PM

6 posts, read 47,851 times

Advertisements

Hi, this seems to be a very active forum and I see many posts that interest me. My main reason for joining now is to seek advice concerning my rental properties and I want to know if this is appropriate. Thanks.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-14-2009, 05:08 PM

1,349 posts, read 3,996,247 times
Seeking advice is definitely appropriate here (and welcome because we all love to give our opinions!). As long as you aren't soliciting business, and can handle the random snarky comment, then really the sky is the limit.

Welcome!

Old 01-14-2009, 05:30 PM

8,322 posts, read 28,334,848 times
Lie, cheat and steal. Frustrate. Overwhelm. Play the run-around game. Oppress. Walk on the already-bruised backs of minorities who do not have the means ($ or credit) to defend themselves, or are afraid of the legal system that has historically lynched their people. Better yet, find a property management company who can do this for you while you sit back with your flute at a cocktail party.

The sky is the limit!

Old 01-14-2009, 07:37 PM

Gosh, you are witty tstone... wish I could measure up to at least something in your suggestions. I'm a lousy flute player, however, and cocktail parties don't interest me that much. On to business. I do have something to sell (rental property) but I and my properties don't fit neatly into status quo categories (they are blend of lving and working spaces) and thus I am looking for suggestions for alternate venues for attracting complementary tenants. I spent too much money on the Houston Press and have had varied responses on Houston Craig's List. One of the Craig's list inquiries was from an out-of-state individual, which hasn't panned out, and two others were tenants losing their leases due to their landlords being foreclosed on. Both sets seem to be indicative of the current economic situation, don't you think? I have had locals looking. One frankly discussed his concern about the stability of his job in the next couple of years and a couple of others are wanting to consolidate their lives and downsize haven't yet found what suits their needs (and wants, perhaps).

Old 01-14-2009, 07:46 PM

8,322 posts, read 28,334,848 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mayreejayne View Post
Gosh, you are witty tstone... wish I could measure up to at least something in your suggestions. I'm a lousy flute player, however, and cocktail parties don't interest me that much.

Just speaking from personal experience (minus the minority part).

BTW flute = http://s7v1.scene7.com/is/image/John...0758?$product$

If you're of that type, you can really get away with a lot in this pro-landlord state. There are a lot of unscrupulous, disgusting things going on around here for sure. However, judges are fair to proactive tenants with a strong case. Mine was fair anyway -- I'd like to think most of them are.

Old 01-14-2009, 07:51 PM

3,853 posts, read 12,062,258 times
Probably better off posting in the rental forum rather than here. This forum is more of a general FW forum. You can post rental/LL questions here but you'll be better off posting in the rental forum because more people with similar interest posting there. I would only post here if the question is very specific to FW (like, is this xyz area good etc.)

Old 01-14-2009, 07:55 PM

Thank you Killer, I will most definitely look for that section and see what information is in there!

Old 01-14-2009, 08:05 PM

4,753 posts, read 12,824,160 times
Quote:
On to business. I do have something to sell (rental property) but I and my properties don't fit neatly into status quo categories (they are blend of lving and working spaces) and thus I am looking for suggestions for alternate venues for attracting complementary tenants.
I suggest advertising to professionals whom you wish to attract. When I ran a counseling business in another state, I always looked in my professional association newsletters for classified ads for rental space. So did the attorneys and accountants who were in the same building. We all tended to look for similar professionals who might have extra space, but a landlord could advertise in the same venue. In fact, my friend who is a psychologist landlord always uses newsletters aimed at therapists to find new tenants. And lots of service-oriented professionals would be quite interested in living where they work.

Old 01-14-2009, 10:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Topaz View Post
I suggest advertising to professionals whom you wish to attract.
Topaz, I believe you are absolutely right. I've been poking along at this labor of love (my property) for 12 years and have been trying to attract artist types that I've personally (not professionally) identified with. A friend of mine, who is a realestate agent, thoughtfully refused me to hire her and told me to think beyond that concept by finding a target market who'd be the right fit. She said, get their names and addresses and send faxes to them. You are the second person recently to suggest the same idea, to advertise in a trade specific venue.

Since I have fallen out of my own trade to become a professional landlord (please don't hate me tstone) and am between careers, I haven't been able to wrap my head around this concept for months. But I already have very interesting tenants who found me by word of mouth, they are in a specific field and I just made the great big "duh" that I need to research their business and market to their field. Thank you for nudging me in this direction. I'm sure it will work the best.

I have been surfing the "Rentals" portion of this forum and it has useful information. Good stuff for landlords and for tenants.

Old 01-14-2009, 10:08 PM

4,753 posts, read 12,824,160 times
Quote:
Topaz, I believe you are absolutely right. I've been poking along at this labor of love (my property) for 12 years and have been trying to attract artist types that I've personally (not professionally) identified with. A friend of mine, who is a realestate agent, thoughtfully refused me to hire her and told me to think beyond that concept by finding a target market who'd be the right fit. She said, get their names and addresses and send faxes to them. You are the second person recently to suggest the same idea, to advertise in a trade specific venue.

Since I have fallen out of my own trade to become a professional landlord (please don't hate me tstone) and am between careers, I haven't been able to wrap my head around this concept for months. But I already have very interesting tenants who found me by word of mouth, they are in a specific field and I just made the great big "duh" that I need to research their business and market to their field. Thank you for nudging me in this direction. I'm sure it will work the best.

I have been surfing the "Rentals" portion of this forum and it has useful information. Good stuff for landlords and for tenants.
There is absolutely nothing shameful about being a landlord. Just learn how to protect your business interests and be ethical at the same time. I am not a landlord but I heard "Mr. Landlord" speak once and he was extremely knowledgeable and very entertaining.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
View detailed profiles of: