Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-14-2009, 09:59 PM

2,628 posts, read 8,832,525 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by houston-nomad View Post
Pretty tough to get into Meyerland for 250K; I bet you'd be looking at a serious fixer-upper.
yeah, I love Meyerland and as this one shows, it can be done for $250k, but in something under 2000 sq ft facing Beechnut. You would have to be okay with facing the busy street.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-14-2009, 10:40 PM

5,429 posts, read 14,841,754 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by modster View Post
yeah, I love Meyerland and as this one shows, it can be done for $250k, but in something under 2000 sq ft facing Beechnut. You would have to be okay with facing the busy street.
I like that one too, would be great for working in the Med Center... but does look like it really could use some updating. Though if he's in construction, maybe some DIY projects? Probably could make a nice little profit off it if so...

Old 01-15-2009, 09:00 PM

4,760 posts, read 13,826,111 times
So people in this Forum have positive things to say about Meyerland and Bellaire but it looks like both are very close to Sharpstown, which is often described as one of the worst areas of Houston. Are the safe areas adjacent to the unsafe areas? (I've never been to any of these places so I'm trying to picture it).

Old 01-15-2009, 09:52 PM

200 posts, read 1,067,130 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Topaz View Post
So people in this Forum have positive things to say about Meyerland and Bellaire but it looks like both are very close to Sharpstown, which is often described as one of the worst areas of Houston. Are the safe areas adjacent to the unsafe areas? (I've never been to any of these places so I'm trying to picture it).
well to fair, no need to pick on Sharpstown. They have their own ghetto sections in those areas. you can see the crime stats for Meyerland on ericcarlson.net . I think Bellaire crime stats are not available thru HPD.

Old 01-15-2009, 10:03 PM

759 posts, read 3,184,398 times
I think the fact that both are very close to the medical center the prices stay high. We have a lot of friends that work in the medical center that live in both Meyerland and Bellaire. Most of them do tell us that some of the things that they give up is good schools (Bellaire HS is the exception.) and house size. Yes a few of them have been robbed. One in fact in his driveway washing his car on a Sunday afternoon. But it can happen anywhere...I feel safer in Sugar Land.
We do have several friends that have moved from Bellaire to Sugar Land too once their kids became school age and/or to join a private practice in the area.
Many physicians that practice in the medical center have to be able to make it to the hospital in 30 minutes or less. This is true for most cardiologist, surgeons, anesthesiologist, etc. that is why there are now many major hospitals in Sugar Land.

Quote:

Old 01-15-2009, 11:05 PM

2,628 posts, read 8,832,525 times
Quote:
Bellaire actually borders the Gulfton area to the west, which has some of the highest crime in the city. It is what it is.

As for Meyerland, there are several areas between it and Sharpstown. Maplewood, Barkley Square, Robindell, Braeburn Valley are all to the west of Meyerland before you hit Sharpstown.

Meyerland is a very good area.

The other areas you might look in is over around Memorial Bend and Memorial Plaza. It used to be not too terribly expensive just a couple of years ago, but now it is harder to find stuff in there under $400k. It is right off the beltway and Memorial, so it is further out. Schools are real good out there.

Old 01-16-2009, 05:25 AM

4,760 posts, read 13,826,111 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by icon7 View Post
Many physicians that practice in the medical center have to be able to make it to the hospital in 30 minutes or less. This is true for most cardiologist, surgeons, anesthesiologist, etc. that is why there are now many major hospitals in Sugar Land.
Yes, our family's pediatrician and allergist were telling me this week that they routinely drive from New Territory to the Medical Center in 30 minutes or less. Today I'm trying a route they described that uses 59 to Sam Houston Tollway to 90 to Scott to Wheeler at UH rather than trying to take 90 all the way as I did earlier this week. If there were some super expensive way to make this commute faster by taking a bunch of toll roads, I would do it rather than spend 2.5 hours per day stuck on 59.

Old 01-16-2009, 08:45 AM

759 posts, read 3,184,398 times
oops I forgot to tell you that route...to UH. Also try 59 to 90 to 610 to Scott. or since you are in NT 90 to 610 to Scott. But it all depends on when you have to be there. after 8:30 am it is fast! after 6:15pm the reverse is fast!

My wife takes 59 to 90 to get to the medical center. She says it is about 30-45 minutes most days Garage to Garage.

Quote:
Yes, our family's pediatrician and allergist were telling me this week that they routinely drive from New Territory to the Medical Center in 30 minutes or less. Today I'm trying a route they described that uses 59 to Sam Houston Tollway to 90 to Scott to Wheeler at UH rather than trying to take 90 all the way as I did earlier this week. If there were some super expensive way to make this commute faster by taking a bunch of toll roads, I would do it rather than spend 2.5 hours per day stuck on 59.

Old 01-16-2009, 12:02 PM

49 posts, read 167,527 times
try westwood subdivion zip code 77025 - its undiscovered, low crime rate and 10 minutes to medical center

Old 01-16-2009, 01:38 PM

571 posts, read 1,932,333 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rupa124 View Post
try westwood subdivion zip code 77025 - its undiscovered, low crime rate and 10 minutes to medical center
Hmm that seems like a good tip.. homes are cheaper
Houston homes, Houston Open Houses, and New Houston Listings

LOL ok the filter didn't work.. just type in Westwood under subdivision...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston