U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-02-2009, 09:41 AM

1,305 posts, read 3,010,493 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by EEstudent View Post
I appreciate that, but within these discussion comes the topic of "which one is better" and of course the opinions are from different people and different schools for thought. I just think that Chicago is for those that are younger but more economically privileged.

Honestly, in 15 years i will probably end up in Houston with a house in the suburbs, have a drive way with two kids just like you folks but right now I really do believe that there is much more out there.
EE, it seems to me that your idea of culture is narrowly defined as hip-hop. If that's the case, you're in luck, because Houston has one of the most vibrant hip-hop scenes in the country - far better than Chicago's scene. That said, you need to seriously expand your horizons if you ever expect to have any fun, not just here, but anywhere. You are far too young to be such a sourpuss.

By the way, having a family doesn't necessarily relegate you to the 'burbs. If that's your preference, then you should live there, but if not, why limit yourself? You can live anywhere you want.
Quick reply to this message

Old 03-02-2009, 09:57 AM

734 posts, read 863,172 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasTheKid View Post
EE, it seems to me that your idea of culture is narrowly defined as hip-hop. If that's the case, you're in luck, because Houston has one of the most vibrant hip-hop scenes in the country - far better than Chicago's scene.
Definately agreed.

Quote:
That said, you need to seriously expand your horizons if you ever expect to have any fun, not just here, but anywhere. You are far too young to be such a sourpuss.
I try to, there are other types of music i like (HUGE Taylor Swift FAN). But theater and ballet, bleh!

Quote:
By the way, having a family doesn't necessarily relegate you to the 'burbs. If that's your preference, then you should live there, but if not, why limit yourself? You can live anywhere you want.
Yea but having a decent sized house not in the suburbs costs some serious $$$. People cant really live where they want they live where they can afford.

Old 03-02-2009, 10:03 AM

13,723 posts, read 25,295,786 times
This Finnish guy is probably as confounded as I am, trying to wrap heads around how this metamorphosed into a bitchfest.

Why don't you go play some skee-ball at Chuck E. Cheese's and say you had fun, sonny. If you bank it just right off the edges you'll put it in that center hole every time. Then again I don't think you know much about putting anything into any holes....whoops, did I go there?

Old 05-04-2009, 02:22 AM

8 posts, read 13,056 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jfre81 View Post
This Finnish guy is probably as confounded as I am, trying to wrap heads around how this metamorphosed into a bitchfest.
Sort of, yea.

Anyways, two weeks to trip and this is what I've arranged so far.

-Rented a car
-Start the trip staying in a hotel at George W, we fly in afternoon US-time, -8hrs on clock, reckon we'll be pretty tired.
-On the next day drive to Kemah, stay in a B&B few nights, visit NASA center
-Relocate to Galveston for few nights, go to schlitterbahn and museums, check out the harbor
-After that have a week left and we'd like to keep our options open and do what ever we feel like then. Downtown or a road trip somewhere for example.

Thanks to your advices I booked all the hotels from $80-$150 range.

Someone asked about traffic in Finland, well if say we have the same amount of people as Houston–Sugar Land–Baytown metropolitan spread in an area tad smaller than the state of California, you'll get a picture. Traffic congestion happens only in some parts of Helsinki, and it's nothing like in central Europe, or US.

The only thing I need to figure out are the cell phones, should we bring our own with ridiculous roaming fees ($4 per minute for phone call, $0.7 per 50kB yes, kB of data.. Fire up google maps once and you are down $15) or can you get a prepaid phones and prepaid plans in US?
We just need the phones to stay in contact with each other, makes things so much easier.

Thanks for the advices so far, I'll promise to write an after action report if we make it back alive!

Old 05-04-2009, 09:57 AM

254 posts, read 379,847 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry Thorne View Post
Sort of, yea.

Anyways, two weeks to trip and this is what I've arranged so far.

-Rented a car
-Start the trip staying in a hotel at George W, we fly in afternoon US-time, -8hrs on clock, reckon we'll be pretty tired.
-On the next day drive to Kemah, stay in a B&B few nights, visit NASA center
-Relocate to Galveston for few nights, go to schlitterbahn and museums, check out the harbor
-After that have a week left and we'd like to keep our options open and do what ever we feel like then. Downtown or a road trip somewhere for example.

Thanks to your advices I booked all the hotels from $80-$150 range.

Someone asked about traffic in Finland, well if say we have the same amount of people as Houston–Sugar Land–Baytown metropolitan spread in an area tad smaller than the state of California, you'll get a picture. Traffic congestion happens only in some parts of Helsinki, and it's nothing like in central Europe, or US.

The only thing I need to figure out are the cell phones, should we bring our own with ridiculous roaming fees ($4 per minute for phone call, $0.7 per 50kB yes, kB of data.. Fire up google maps once and you are down $15) or can you get a prepaid phones and prepaid plans in US?
We just need the phones to stay in contact with each other, makes things so much easier.

Thanks for the advices so far, I'll promise to write an after action report if we make it back alive!

I'm gonna throw this out there. You can do what you would like with it. While you are on Galveston Island, I suggest trying Moody Gardens. I think you will like the Rainforest Pyramid.

Also, check out The Strand. Nice little street with some cool shops.

Old 06-28-2011, 05:22 AM

1 posts, read 433 times
how can i get from houston to seabrook?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston