U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-17-2009, 05:21 PM

2,262 posts, read 5,656,181 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MommiePreMed View Post
Really. I have a few friends who are doctors and they have noticed a reduction in appointments.

Texas is one of a few states that does not offer Medicaid to poor adults. In other states if you lose your job it is possible that you can apply for Medicaid and continue to visit health professionals.

Granted my friends are in private practice, but if those who lose their jobs and can't afford COBRA or private insurance turn to the E.R. for basic medical care and are unable to afford their bills Hospitals, even large institutions will have to reduce their workforce to remain profitable.
Notice you said "reduction in appointments". That means people coming to the clinic. If I lost my job, I would think twice before going to the doctor for a cold. Granted, if enough people stopped coming, then I might be concerned for my job - if I worked in a private clinic.

Then you said those people who can't afford COBRA come to the ERs...which is why my job is not in jeopardy. They need staff in the hospitals because people tend to use them as doctor clinics when the need arises. And if those people can't afford to pay, one of 2 things happens: either the hospital foots the bill (which happens all the time, even in fabulous economic booms), or they file for Medicaid/Medicare, in which hospitals like mine, would be paid for their services.

My job is with a non-profit children's hospital. They receive monies through donations and fund raising, grants, etc. It is a profitable hospital, but not because they are a for-profit company. More than half of my patients (and their parents) are on Medicaid already. Being that the definition of receiving Medicaid is for those people on a limited income, I am not sure how they are getting it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-17-2009, 05:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Topaz View Post
I met someone last week who works in medical billing and she just lost her job because so many people are delaying optional medical treatment to save money. Some areas of health care are recession proof but others are not.
Like you said, this is the BUSINESS side of medical care...completely different in every aspect than patient care. They would get rid of as many employees as possible on the business side before laying off nursing staff.

Once you start laying off nurses/doctors/etc...then that means less patients can be seen. Then the little money coming in goes down even further.

Old 01-17-2009, 09:28 PM

Location: where nothin ever grows. no rain or rivers flow, TX
2,028 posts, read 7,334,594 times
anyone can be replaced by cheaper labor from abroad in times like these

Old 01-17-2009, 11:14 PM

3,853 posts, read 11,423,853 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wysiwyg View Post
no kidding. No job is safe. Not even government.

Old 01-18-2009, 05:03 AM

Quote:
I disagree. If you are talking regular business/retail/sales type positions, then yes - probably. If you are talking about jobs that require specific skill sets or specializations, then no - they can't.

If say a company needs to downsize, and they lay off an engineer, they are not going to replace that engineer with cheaper labor from abroad. that company will restructure itself to deal with the loss.

Now if someone finds that they get laid off, but they are replaced (with cheaper labor or whatever), then perhaps that was just the company's chance to get rid of someone who wasn't doing their job up to the company's standards.

Old 01-18-2009, 06:31 AM

419 posts, read 1,528,248 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lhafer View Post
Notice you said "reduction in appointments". That means people coming to the clinic. If I lost my job, I would think twice before going to the doctor for a cold. Granted, if enough people stopped coming, then I might be concerned for my job - if I worked in a private clinic.

Then you said those people who can't afford COBRA come to the ERs...which is why my job is not in jeopardy. They need staff in the hospitals because people tend to use them as doctor clinics when the need arises. And if those people can't afford to pay, one of 2 things happens: either the hospital foots the bill (which happens all the time, even in fabulous economic booms), or they file for Medicaid/Medicare, in which hospitals like mine, would be paid for their services.

My job is with a non-profit children's hospital. They receive monies through donations and fund raising, grants, etc. It is a profitable hospital, but not because they are a for-profit company. More than half of my patients (and their parents) are on Medicaid already. Being that the definition of receiving Medicaid is for those people on a limited income, I am not sure how they are getting it.
There is virtually guaranteed Medicaid in Texas for all children whose parents incomes/assets are below a certain level. There is no comparable coverage for adults.

Yes, YOU may notice an increase in patients as more and more parents are forced to apply for Medicaid on behalf of their children.

What about nurses who don't work in pediatric hospitals. Those are the hospitals that will/could feel the greatest change in business. Yes the medical center is the place to be because Houston has a strong economy, and patients have insurance to afford elective and required procedures. But as we all know the economy is not stable.

Yes as people lose their jobs they will flock to the ER or simply attempt to self medicate. A rise in non revenue patients over a period of time could harm not for profit and for profit businesses alike.

If donations are slowed and revenue is not generated how will hospitals continue to pay nurses and other staff? Supply and demand will dictate how companies act in order to protect the long term health of their establishments.

So, yes you might have a job because children of most unemployed parents will qualify for Medicaid, but not all nurses work in settings with guaranteed paying customers.

Old 01-18-2009, 07:04 AM

Location: from houstoner to bostoner to new yorker to new jerseyite ;)
4,085 posts, read 11,222,559 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MommiePreMed View Post
There is virtually guaranteed Medicaid in Texas for all children whose parents incomes/assets are below a certain level. There is no comparable coverage for adults.
Sadly, no, not at the state level. However, Harris County Health Department offers complete health care coverage for low-income adults through the Gold Card. It's a great program and operates on a sliding scale. Prescription medicines can be as little as $5. The downside is the wait for appointments, at the doctor's office. Still, it's preferable to going without and worth passing along if you know anyone without health insurance.

How Can I Obtain a Gold Card?

Old 01-18-2009, 01:58 PM

Location: where nothin ever grows. no rain or rivers flow, TX
2,028 posts, read 7,334,594 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lhafer View Post
I disagree. If you are talking regular business/retail/sales type positions, then yes - probably. If you are talking about jobs that require specific skill sets or specializations, then no - they can't.

If say a company needs to downsize, and they lay off an engineer, they are not going to replace that engineer with cheaper labor from abroad. that company will restructure itself to deal with the loss.

Now if someone finds that they get laid off, but they are replaced (with cheaper labor or whatever), then perhaps that was just the company's chance to get rid of someone who wasn't doing their job up to the company's standards.
even with specific skills one can be replaced by a fresh blood, nitwit from abroad or local contractors selling for peanuts. To the decisionmakers in the corporate office, some deals with hiring firms are too good to pass up. even the price of fresh grads. The business owners can order a cut in expenses, bosses are just waiting for that so they can let go of a few people and replace them later from the hiring firm for some commision. skill and experience doesnt matter, the whole attitude from top to middle level management is 'make it work' in crunch times

Old 01-18-2009, 02:52 PM

Quote:
even with specific skills one can be replaced by a fresh blood, nitwit from abroad or local contractors selling for peanuts. To the decisionmakers in the corporate office, some deals with hiring firms are too good to pass up. even the price of fresh grads. The business owners can order a cut in expenses, bosses are just waiting for that so they can let go of a few people and replace them later from the hiring firm for some commision. skill and experience doesnt matter, the whole attitude from top to middle level management is 'make it work' in crunch times
And because of this, it will hurt the economy even worse. Because to get rid of those employees is getting rid of experience. Experience that green horns don't have. Young new grads don't have the knowledge set to make some important decisions.

I guess where I am thinking about is my husband's work. He is an superintendent of an oil refinery, with a chemical engineering background. Now, he is paid very decently. More than he would if he went to any other company around, including the big ones like Shell or Exxon, so it would make a lot of sense to replace him with someone who will get paid less. But his experience is what keeps him in his job. If his bosses got rid of him and put in some other person that is younger, and less experienced...then the refinery would be in a world of hurt. He makes decisions every day that affect how well the plant does, how much product they are making, thus how much money they are making. A younger, less experienced person would make incorrect decisions, or decisions that could slow the process down, and in turn loose the company money.

So in the long run, it's better for companies to keep their experienced employees (as long as they are doing their job adequately) than to turn them over for some green young grad who's eager to make pennies on the dollar. If that happens, then it should be the managers who are making those decisions that get laid off!!

Old 01-18-2009, 03:07 PM

1 posts, read 2,175 times
Default God bless....

God bless...I hope EVERY ONE'S JOB is secure...but...nothing in life is 100% - no one is immune from losing their job - especially in this economy...the medical profession is SLOWING down at a pretty good gait...not many occupations go untouched in this economy. Sadly the unemployment line if filled with people who thought their job was safe and secure....we can NEVER say NEVER......May God bless and may all jobs be safe!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
View detailed profiles of:
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or