U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-23-2009, 04:24 AM

1,309 posts, read 2,888,615 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by tstone View Post
You're definitely right about HPD in Clear Lake. A monitored home security system is no different vs. a noise-maker.
Do you have any anecdotal information you could share on this subject? I've often wondered about it. It's got to be better than nothing, but has it ever resulted in the apprehension of perps - that you know of?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-27-2009, 10:23 AM

244 posts, read 566,493 times
I am now concentrating on the Clear Lake, Pearland, Friendswood areas.

Old 01-27-2009, 11:00 AM

8,156 posts, read 26,425,344 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zhang Fei View Post
Do you have any anecdotal information you could share on this subject? I've often wondered about it. It's got to be better than nothing, but has it ever resulted in the apprehension of perps - that you know of?

The only thing I can say is 2 times our monitored burglar alarm went off while I was at work, and there was no evidence the police ever showed up.

(Nothing happened - it was caused by a faulty sensor.)

When I got home I called the alarm company so they could cancel the call. I'm thinking if I got home and personally called HPD, they'd eventually show up a couple hours later. When I lived in Sugar Land, those cops would be at the house in less than 5 minutes if the alarm went off.

Even though we have our own patrol unit, the force is still strung out too thinly to even come out if your car is broken into. You call them to report it, and they give you a case # to file with your insurance.

If you want nice, suburban master planned communities with better services, look at the Memorial Villages. Those towns are essentially like Clear Lake, but with enough money to de-annex themselves from Houston and its services.

But since the OP is looking on the SE side, and while I'm on a roll... if you want the strongest police presence, Friendswood would be your place.

Old 01-27-2009, 12:05 PM

So Friendswoods is Friendswood, but Clear Lake is Houston? What about the utility companies (power, phone, water, gas, etc.). Are they the same?

Old 01-27-2009, 12:39 PM

Clear Lake is basically Houston 77058, 77059, 77062. The city of Webster (77598) bleeds into Clear Lake... it's basically the shopping district for the area, and it's sometimes hard to tell where it begins and ends.

Electric company is deregulated and there are lots of companies: www.powertochoose.org

Your landline phone will likely be Southwestern Bell / SBC which is now AT&T.

Natural gas = Centerpoint energy.

Water will depend on your neighborhood. Clear Lake is Clear Lake City Water Authority. Elsewhere it could be a MUD.

Old 01-27-2009, 12:42 PM

3,702 posts, read 15,925,817 times
Utilities are all the same except water and trash pick-up

Old 01-27-2009, 01:58 PM

When I was west of I-45 my phone co was Verizon. When I moved to the Clear Lake side, it became SBC. Not sure how it is anymore. Not that it matters since you don't really have a choice.

West of 45, I had to pre-pay for trash pickup 4 times a year to a private company. They gave us a sticker for our trash can. East of 45, trash is included in my annual HOA fee.

Old 01-27-2009, 02:19 PM

The "powertochoose" looks like a lot of headache to decide what to pick!!!

Old 01-27-2009, 06:49 PM

8,626 posts, read 16,248,131 times
Many cities require an update on alarm permits annually and that the alarm company also has to have a copy of the renewed permit annually or they won't verify to the police that the alarm needs to be dispatched on. The police won't come if the alarm company won't verify that they have a permit. Good info to know and to verify with your city and alarm company so you know you are getting your money's worth from your system.

Old 01-27-2009, 07:21 PM

I paid for that alarm permit for 3 years for nothing. I used to get HO insurance discounts and year after year they got smaller and smaller, until this year there is no difference between monitored alarm vs. noise maker. So I didn't renew it this year since I figured it's a lost cause.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or