U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-18-2009, 11:25 AM

419 posts, read 1,528,017 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by tstone View Post
Sugar Land to UH Main in under 30 minutes sounds like a flight, especially during rush hours!!

I don't drive over 65 and I am able to drive from downtown to Sugar Land or vice versa in 16 minutes. My husband works in Sugar Land and we share a car so I drive in the HOV lane often. The trip to UH from HOV exit ramp, turn on holman, to San Jacinto to Elgin is 10 to 15 minutes depending upon the day.

I never take 59 to 45 S, as that would add an extra 10 minutes or more to my commute.

I can't even imagine using the mainlines during heavy commute time.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-18-2009, 11:42 AM

488 posts, read 1,259,735 times
What about the Bellaire area Topaz? Or Meyerland?

Old 01-18-2009, 05:44 PM

4,751 posts, read 12,042,562 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MommiePreMed View Post
Are you attempting to reduce your commute time to UH main to under 45 minutes?

Can you find a rideshare and commute. I can drive from Sugar Land to UH main in under 30 minutes when I have a passenger using the HOV lane, then taking Elgin to campus.

Is rideshare and option for you.
Yes, 45 minutes would be fabulous. I'm going to investigate rideshare.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tstone View Post

Also in there is a park & ride or park & pool option. If you're in League City you'd use the Bay Area one. Most of CLear Lake would use the South Point one, or maybe the Fuqua one.
I am going to explore Park & Pool. As far as I can tell, the Bay Area Park & Ride goes to downtown or Med Center but not UH Main.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Josci View Post
What about the Bellaire area Topaz? Or Meyerland?
I looked around Meyerland today. I really liked it but it might be beyond our budget if we follow our "as much as possible, keep expenses to one income" family rule. I'm definitely not ruling it out.

Old 01-18-2009, 06:31 PM

8,626 posts, read 16,243,864 times
You can get on the HOV lane btwn Dixie Farm Road and Scarsdale (from the feeder) or from the Park and Ride lot at Southpoint - I think Fuqua goes to the med center. I don't find Pearland to be much closer to U of H than Clear Lake (mileagewise) depending upon where you live in Clear Lake, particularly if you live in the areas off Clear Lake City Blvd. Too bad you can't try out your commute That would sure be great -- always best to see for yourself when you can from the various areas that you are interested in.

I am in that general area and if I leave around 6:25, I am in my downtown parking garage at about 6:55. If I leave later - the commute gets longer but still it tends to vary. I'm not sure I could give an exact time at different times but its pretty unpredictable for me - sometimes slow - sometimes fairly quick ..... unless I leave really early. My schedule routinely changes so I leave at varying times. Now if I go home at 5 -- traffic varies - sometimes it is incredibly heavy and other times - it's smooth sailing. Like this past Friday - wow was it great driving home. Left downtown about 5:00 or 5:15 and got home in 35 mins. but another day could be a different story at that time of day. Once you get inside the loop and get beyond Bellfort exit - it moves pretty good too.

Last edited by texas7; 01-18-2009 at 06:55 PM..

Old 01-18-2009, 07:07 PM

Take a look at NuRide.

Old 01-18-2009, 08:45 PM

Quote:
I don't drive over 65 and I am able to drive from downtown to Sugar Land or vice versa in 16 minutes.
What part of downtown and what part of Sugar Land? My commute is likely farther because I am going to east downtown (UH Main Campus not UH Downtown) from New Territory. (but your 16 minutes sounds wonderful...I'd settle for twice that).

Old 01-18-2009, 10:33 PM

132 posts, read 523,297 times
Whats your budget ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Topaz View Post

I looked around Meyerland today. I really liked it but it might be beyond our budget if we follow our "as much as possible, keep expenses to one income" family rule. I'm definitely not ruling it out.

Old 01-19-2009, 06:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Topaz View Post
What part of downtown and what part of Sugar Land? My commute is likely farther because I am going to east downtown (UH Main Campus not UH Downtown) from New Territory. (but your 16 minutes sounds wonderful...I'd settle for twice that).
It takes me 16 minutes to get to the end of the HOV lane at Holman, then another 10 to 15 minutes to travel the streets to UH Main. Right on Holman, left on San Jacinto, right on Elgin.

15 minutes from 59 and Highway 6, You live closer to Grand parkway, I think, so I am unsre as to how long it takes in the morning to travel that distance.

If I did not have such a sporadic schedule I would offer to rideshare with you, take turns driving.

Old 01-19-2009, 06:48 AM

Quote:
It takes me 16 minutes to get to the end of the HOV lane at Holman, then another 10 to 15 minutes to travel the streets to UH Main. Right on Holman, left on San Jacinto, right on Elgin.

15 minutes from 59 and Highway 6, You live closer to Grand parkway, I think, so I am unsre as to how long it takes in the morning to travel that distance.

If I did not have such a sporadic schedule I would offer to rideshare with you, take turns driving.
Thanks! I do have a bit farther to go to get to 59 and Highway 6, but it isn't too bad.

This sounds crazy but my husband and I are going to try ridesharing from our home in Sugar Land to UH and then he will drive on to Clear Lake. It would give us some time together during the commute. We aren't sure it would work long term but it couldn't hurt to try it now that we are thinking about the HOV lane.

And I will check out other ridesharing options as well.

Old 01-19-2009, 06:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Houston456 View Post
Whats your budget ?
$200K-$300K with our preference being toward the lower end of the range and buying something with some cosmetic issues we can upgrade over time to improve the value of the house.

Our budget would be higher if we hadn't left a bunch of equity behind with two previous job relocations with bad timing. Our relocation packages didn't include real estate costs.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or