U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 01-19-2009, 10:54 AM
 
237 posts, read 383,645 times
Reputation: 358

Advertisements

Google Maps traffic info stinks. Use the TranStar Website. Here's the traffic map that shows what the traffic is like right now.

Houston TranStar Real-Time Traffic Map

They also have historical data so you can see what the best time to leave is.

Houston TranStar - Historical Freeway Travel Times
http://traffic.houstontranstar.org/hist/traveltimes_web.aspx?id=8
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 01-19-2009, 12:49 PM
 
419 posts, read 1,527,869 times
Reputation: 201
Quote:
Originally Posted by Topaz View Post
Thanks! I do have a bit farther to go to get to 59 and Highway 6, but it isn't too bad.

This sounds crazy but my husband and I are going to try ridesharing from our home in Sugar Land to UH and then he will drive on to Clear Lake. It would give us some time together during the commute. We aren't sure it would work long term but it couldn't hurt to try it now that we are thinking about the HOV lane.

And I will check out other ridesharing options as well.
That sounds like a good plan!!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-19-2009, 02:32 PM
 
Location: Austin, TX
4,751 posts, read 12,040,957 times
Reputation: 3216
Quote:
Originally Posted by kittyhawk View Post
Google Maps traffic info stinks. Use the TranStar Website. Here's the traffic map that shows what the traffic is like right now.

Houston TranStar Real-Time Traffic Map

They also have historical data so you can see what the best time to leave is.

Houston TranStar - Historical Freeway Travel Times
http://traffic.houstontranstar.org/hist/traveltimes_web.aspx?id=8
Oh, cool, I knew about TranStar but I hadn't noticed the historical data until you pointed it out...that's very helpful...thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-20-2009, 06:34 PM
 
Location: Austin, TX
4,751 posts, read 12,040,957 times
Reputation: 3216
I know this thread was originally about Clear Lake to UH Main rather than Sugar Land to UH Main but just for the historical record, my husband and I commuted to and from Sugar Land (New Territory) and UH Main today using the HOV lane of 59. It took 40 minutes in the AM (leaving at 7:10 am) and 1 hr. in the PM (leaving at 5:25 pm).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-20-2009, 06:38 PM
 
Location: Pittsburgh N. Hills / Houston-Clear Lake
8,156 posts, read 26,416,529 times
Reputation: 4395
Quote:
Originally Posted by Topaz View Post
I know this thread was originally about Clear Lake to UH Main rather than Sugar Land to UH Main but just for the historical record, my husband and I commuted to and from Sugar Land (New Territory) and UH Main today using the HOV lane of 59. It took 40 minutes in the AM (leaving at 7:10 am) and 1 hr. in the PM (leaving at 5:25 pm).

So much for the 16 minute flight, huh?

Clear Lake (Northfork) would be about 10 minutes less each way.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-20-2009, 06:47 PM
 
Location: Austin, TX
4,751 posts, read 12,040,957 times
Reputation: 3216
Quote:
Originally Posted by tstone View Post
So much for the 16 minute flight, huh?

Clear Lake (Northfork) would be about 10 minutes less each way.
Do you mean it would be 10 min. less to and from Northfork if I were driving alone, or via HOV lane?

I was totally impressed with the HOV lane today, by the way. I never really noticed it when driving alone but it was much more pleasant to use it than to sit in stop-and-go traffic on the main lines.

I kept wondering how traffic enforcement monitors compliance and then I finally figured out there are cameras to ensure you really have 2 people in the car.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-20-2009, 07:38 PM
 
Location: Pittsburgh N. Hills / Houston-Clear Lake
8,156 posts, read 26,416,529 times
Reputation: 4395
Roughly 10 minutes less each way, if you were driving alone. I've never hopped on the HOV lane so I wouldn't know.

The area is also smack in between two Metro park & rides. I know someone who uses it and prefers it to driving, says it's reliable. Not sure about the time it takes though.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-20-2009, 08:42 PM
 
Location: Austin, TX
4,751 posts, read 12,040,957 times
Reputation: 3216
Quote:
Originally Posted by tstone View Post
Roughly 10 minutes less each way, if you were driving alone. I've never hopped on the HOV lane so I wouldn't know.

The area is also smack in between two Metro park & rides. I know someone who uses it and prefers it to driving, says it's reliable. Not sure about the time it takes though.
I would definitely use a park and ride if it stopped at UH Main. People who work at the Med Center or downtown are lucky because they have more transit options.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-21-2009, 07:28 AM
 
419 posts, read 1,527,869 times
Reputation: 201
Quote:
Originally Posted by tstone View Post
So much for the 16 minute flight, huh?

Clear Lake (Northfork) would be about 10 minutes less each way.
Catty huh?

Topaz even said that she lived further then HWY 6 and 59. My total time is 30 minutes, it took her 40 which would be accurate for someone living further south than hwy 6 and 59.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-21-2009, 07:35 AM
 
419 posts, read 1,527,869 times
Reputation: 201
Quote:
Originally Posted by Topaz View Post
I know this thread was originally about Clear Lake to UH Main rather than Sugar Land to UH Main but just for the historical record, my husband and I commuted to and from Sugar Land (New Territory) and UH Main today using the HOV lane of 59. It took 40 minutes in the AM (leaving at 7:10 am) and 1 hr. in the PM (leaving at 5:25 pm).
I told you that the commute in the HOV lane was quick! Did you encounter traffic once the HOV lane ended near the HWY 90 exit?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Topaz View Post
I would definitely use a park and ride if it stopped at UH Main. People who work at the Med Center or downtown are lucky because they have more transit options.
The park and ride/public transportation system is one of my major gripes with the city.

Some mornings I park at Hilcroft Park and Ride and take the 132 downtown and the 42 to UH Main. The total commute time is longer than when I drive from Sugar Land.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:


Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2018, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top