Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-21-2009, 08:01 AM

8,376 posts, read 30,697,976 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MommiePreMed View Post
Catty huh?

Topaz even said that she lived further then HWY 6 and 59. My total time is 30 minutes, it took her 40 which would be accurate for someone living further south than hwy 6 and 59.
If making a crack about bunk or unclear information is ''catty'' then so be it:

http://www.petsource.org/~/media/migration%20folder/upload/images/articles/cat/cat32.jpg.ashx (broken link)

Most people throw ''door to door'' numbers around when talking about commute times. Saying you spend X amount of minutes on one stretch of road, when you take half a dozen roads to get to home or work, is essentially useless.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-21-2009, 08:43 AM

421 posts, read 1,726,734 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tstone View Post
If making a crack about bunk or unclear information is ''catty'' then so be it:

Most people throw ''door to door'' numbers around when talking about commute times. Saying you spend X amount of minutes on one stretch of road, when you take half a dozen roads to get to home or work, is essentially useless.
Perhaps you can't read, because I plainly stated that it took me 16 minutes to arrive downtown VIA the HOV lane. If that is not one stretch of road, I don't know what would be. I then plainly stated the route that I travel that took less than 15 minutes to arrive at UH main from Downtown.

What is wrong with traveling side streets if the hwys are congested? Perhaps you enjoy wasting time by sitting in traffic when other routes are easily and readily accessible.

Are you looking for fault, or just having a bad week.

Old 01-21-2009, 08:13 PM

759 posts, read 3,184,176 times
Today: I left at 06:58 from garage door in Telfair to an office garage almost at the end of the CBD took 27 minutes (07:25). leaving at at 17:40, it took 41 minutes(18:21) for the reverse trip...only because it takes about 10 minutes to get to 59 on Smith and there was an accident on the main lanes near downtown that had a bunch of rubberneckers.

Old 01-21-2009, 09:06 PM

4,760 posts, read 13,825,153 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MommiePreMed View Post
I told you that the commute in the HOV lane was quick! Did you encounter traffic once the HOV lane ended near the HWY 90 exit?
The traffic wasn't too bad once the HOV lane ended.

The main thing we've learned is that the commute is a whole lot more fun when my husband and I are together than when we are both commuting separately. We are going to try it again tomorrow to see if it goes more quickly the second time since we will know better what we are doing.

Old 02-13-2009, 05:17 AM

4,760 posts, read 13,825,153 times
I just discovered that the Bay Area Park and Ride stops at the Eastside Transit Center, and then UH operates a shuttle from the Eastside Transit Center to campus. So if my family moves to the Bay Area, this is likely what I will do.

I came back to post this update because it wasn't immediately obvious how UH students and staff who live in the Bay Area could use mass transit to campus. You have to know about that final piece involving the UH shuttle.

Old 02-13-2009, 07:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Topaz View Post
I just discovered that the Bay Area Park and Ride stops at the Eastside Transit Center, and then UH operates a shuttle from the Eastside Transit Center to campus. So if my family moves to the Bay Area, this is likely what I will do.

If you live near Bay Area Blvd this sounds like a good option.

But if you live near Clear Lake City Blvd, you would be dipping down south/west a good 3-4 miles, before coming back north again... Waste of time. There is another park & ride closer to 45/Fuqua- I think it's called South Point. You may want to check & see if they have the same setup to UH. That way you can live a bit closer in, if you find something suitable.

Old 02-13-2009, 08:14 AM

540 posts, read 868,206 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tstone View Post
If you live near Bay Area Blvd this sounds like a good option.

But if you live near Clear Lake City Blvd, you would be dipping down south/west a good 3-4 miles, before coming back north again... Waste of time. There is another park & ride closer to 45/Fuqua- I think it's called South Point. You may want to check & see if they have the same setup to UH. That way you can live a bit closer in, if you find something suitable.
There are 2 park and rides at I-45 and Fuqua. The one on the east side of 45 is called Southpoint and ONLY serves the Texas Medical Center. The one on the west side of 45 is called Fuqua and serves the downtown destinations. A few of the Bay Area Park and Ride buses stop at Fuqua as well.

Old 02-13-2009, 08:38 AM

Good info. That said, if you live anywhere north of Bay Area Blvd it might be better to just shoot up Hwy 3 to Fuqua, to the park & ride in the morning. However in the afternoon, I wouldn't touch Hwy 3. You can get on the 45 feeder, or Fuqua (Genoa Red-Bluff) east to Space Center. Space Center is a wide-open road in that stretch on the east side of Ellington w/ no lights (for now).

I personally wouldn't mess with the Bay Area park & ride unless I lived in Friendswood or League City.

Old 02-13-2009, 08:49 AM

98 posts, read 310,146 times
I will offer a little clarification here. I go to U of H from time to time. Normally I go to the medical center. I use public transportation nearly all the time for commuting. The 246 does stop at Eastwood Transit Center; sometimes. There are five buses that stop there in the morning. They run about 30 to 40 minutes apart. They run a little more often in the evening. You can get a shuttle to U of H, but it has been my experience that it’s just as easy to walk. The neighborhood might make you feel uncomfortable. The Eastwood Transit Center is the last stop leaving town in the evening and the bus is often full so you might have to stand or wait for another bus (the buses are less crowded now that gas is cheap, but it still happens). I just did this commute last week. The bus ride was probably around 25 minutes. The walk to the center of the campus took me about 10 to 15 more. I actually prefer to have a walk worked into my commute so I view this as a good thing.

As to what Tstone said. The 297 South Point does not go to Eastwood Transit Center. It goes to Monroe, and then goes straight to the Medical Center (a great choice if you have to commute there and you live near that Park and Ride). The 247 Fuqua goes to the Eastwood Transit Center (a little more often than the 246) then goes into downtown. It does not appear to be as crowded as the 246.

The 247 Fuqua might be a good choice except it sits on the opposite side of 45 from where you would live in Clear Lake. I have never driven to it so I can’t speak as to whether this is a problem or not. My guess is that it is. If you can get someone to carpool with you into U of H the commute would be a breeze.

The 249 mimics the 244, 246 and 247 in the middle of the day and in the evening (FWIW).

Old 02-14-2009, 09:11 AM

197 posts, read 797,049 times
Default to the OP

If you live in Clear Lake or League City and you commute to downtown (or even better, UH Main), would you please share with me your commute time? Either here or via direct message.

20-25 mins [no HOV]

I just know what lanes to pick LOL
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston