U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-19-2009, 03:08 PM

Location: from houstoner to bostoner to new yorker to new jerseyite ;)
4,085 posts, read 11,440,139 times

Advertisements

Please keep it on-topic. This isn't the place to debate about health care. You can take that to P&OC or Great Debates. If you don't have any recommendations or useful advice as asked, keep it moving.

Poltracker
's got it right, parisby. Get a Gold Card from the Harris County Hospital District. And don't be ashamed about your problem. Folks in the medical field have seen and heard it all.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-19-2009, 03:17 PM

447 posts, read 1,598,818 times
Parisby,

Please know that to be eligible for Harris County Services (the Gold Card), you must make no more than 200% of the poverty level, I believe. It may have increased to 250%. Also be aware that this is a program for Harris County only, so you have to prove that you live in Harris County. You must also have a face to face meeting with them to apply and you will have to apply for Medicaid also (doesn't matter that you don't qualify for Medicaid, but you still have to apply)

Hope this helps

Old 01-19-2009, 03:57 PM

3,567 posts, read 3,990,727 times
So far I know you only get the gold card if you do not have sufficient income and no insurance as already said. One of my friends has a gold card. You pay 10% of everything. So if you have a job that got a decent pay it's going to be hard to get it.

Old 01-19-2009, 04:26 PM

488 posts, read 1,285,286 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by parisby View Post
I am a male and have been putting a personal unknown medical condition off for about 5 years now simply because I am nervous with seeing doctors, and embarassed of my problem and also I have no medical insurance. Can someone please recommend me a doctor that specializes in male checkups that won't charge me an arm and leg. My workplace offers no medical insurance and I cannot afford to get one on my own, and my condition seems to be getting worse. I am curious to find out what it is and hope there is a fix for what I have. I am just nervous because of those 2 factors.

Help would be greatly appreciated.

I would prefer somewhere on the westside Katy area if possible.
I thought there is some law that requires employers to at least offer their full-time employees medical insurance. Is that incorrect?

Have you called around to get insurance quotes...just to see how much it would cost you???

Old 01-19-2009, 04:44 PM

3,702 posts, read 16,309,453 times
Parisby,
Based on your previous posts, you should qualify for some assistance. I encourage you to go. It is not good to play with your health.

Old 01-19-2009, 06:02 PM

10,425 posts, read 44,584,826 times
Try here:
Ibn Sina Foundation, Houston: High Quality Health Care at low prices (http://www.ibnsinafoundation.org/about.cfm - broken link)

Or if you have some money go here:
CareCredit® Healthcare Finance - Payment Plans and Financing for Cosmetic Surgery, Dental, Vision, Hearing, Veterinary & Other Medical Procedures

The second one cost $9/m but you get up to 50% off all normal doctor prices. I know.......50% off rape prices is still high but with this program they will loan the money for your medical procedures and payback is FREE interest for the first 18 months and 18% after that.

I use this for dental. A $1600 root canal cost me $800. I now have insurance but only up to a limit. I will use my care card for everything over my insured limit. There are about 8 companies who have this program but after much research I found this one to be the best one. Pay the year in advance and it is less then $7/m.

Good luck !!!!!!!!!!!

Old 01-19-2009, 06:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Josci View Post
I thought there is some law that requires employers to at least offer their full-time employees medical insurance. Is that incorrect?

Have you called around to get insurance quotes...just to see how much it would cost you???
No Josci there is no law requiring employers to offer insurance. We still have a few freedoms left in America, much less in the past 8 years though.

To purchase health insurance on the open market would cost around $500 to up to $2000 a month if you have some pre-exising conditions. Me? I am uninsurable at any price. I am a cancer surviver which makes me inelligable to purchase health insurance. However there is a law that requires any employer to insure any employee despite their medical history And this includes any spouse. An employer can not refuse to put an employee or the employees family on their insurance plan based on any past history.

So this creates a money making opportunity for entrepreneurs. Lets say you are single and have a nice job with employee sponsered health insurance. You have a close boyfriend or maybe just a male friend who has no health insurance and needs medical care but can not afford it. Lets say he offers you a fee and in addition pays you his share of what is deducted from your paycheck for the insurance.
You see where Im going with this? So a couple friends do a real legal marraige even though they will never live together or be intimate. It is just a busines arrangement. They are legally married just so one can get health insurance. I know because I married for her health insurance.

There is an entire black book out there with offers and advertisments by those in this position. It sucks and it sucks bad but that is what your policitcal satanic clowns have given us.

Last edited by desertsun41; 01-19-2009 at 06:16 PM.. Reason: spelling

Old 01-19-2009, 06:22 PM

4,697 posts, read 11,709,846 times
I always find it amusing that people don't bat an eye to pay $100 to get a mechanic to look at their car but call it highway robbery to pay $100 to have a doctor check them over.

Old 01-19-2009, 06:38 PM

8,653 posts, read 16,807,821 times
You know there are some clinics that offer a "wellness" package for like $30 a month that allow you to come in for check-ups and minor emergencies for a very minimal fee. You might try and find something like that to join. Not major medical but at least you could see a dr. if and when you need one.

Old 01-19-2009, 06:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris_ut View Post
I always find it amusing that people don't bat an eye to pay $100 to get a mechanic to look at their car but call it highway robbery to pay $100 to have a doctor check them over.
You have a point. But who the hell do they think they are charging $50 for an aspirn or $25 for a band-aid?

What the OP was asking.....I feel for him. Been there done that. Many of us have. I have lived in Canada in the late 90s so I have seen the better side of this mess. No one north of the border has any worry such as the OP here.

I sincerly hope the info I just posted for him helps. Life can be so stressful when you know that you can not afford to pay a doctor to keep you alive should it come to that situation.

When you are feeling well and healthy the last thing in the world you think about is getting sick. But when you do, and cant afford medical treatment, there is no worse feeling. Trust me.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston