Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-19-2009, 06:51 PM

8,895 posts, read 19,995,992 times

Advertisements

I know you want westside and this is for SE side - Pasadena to be exact. This group says they offer competitive discounts to those without insurance. It may be far, but when you are sick and you need help sometimes distance doesn't matter. Doesn't hurt to look into:

Bayside Urgent Care | Insurance Plans We Accept (http://www.baysideurgentcare.net/insurance.htm - broken link)
Quick reply to this message

Old 01-19-2009, 09:42 PM

759 posts, read 3,184,176 times
for the OP.
If you do not have insurance, try one of the private cash only clinics that are pretty much everywhere. YES it will cost you a few hundred $$$. Sure they will ask you to go see a urologist or something. Or find a office for a urologist and see if they will take a look at you tell ask them what they will charge for a consultation. Have you tried WEB MD to figure out kind of what you have? Dude 5 years! If your lifestyle is like the character Tom Hanks portrayed in Philadelphia, run to an ER and scream it hurts!

----delete---- I was getting carried away....

Old 01-20-2009, 04:47 AM

Location: from houstoner to bostoner to new yorker to new jerseyite ;)
4,084 posts, read 12,681,773 times
Once again, this is not a debate about health care. Any such replies from my first post in this thread on will be deleted.

Old 01-20-2009, 11:08 AM

112 posts, read 432,576 times
Thanks everyone for the advice. Since my workplace offer no benefits package for like medical insurance. Would it be possible if I go find a place and pay for it monthly? I prefer a coverage of like 80/20. Anyone know how much it would roughly cost?

Also if you work for a big company, they usually offer medical, dental insurance. But do they deduct for this out of your paycheck or do they actually pay for it for you?

Old 01-20-2009, 11:34 AM

490 posts, read 1,433,940 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by parisby View Post
Thanks everyone for the advice. Since my workplace offer no benefits package for like medical insurance. Would it be possible if I go find a place and pay for it monthly? I prefer a coverage of like 80/20. Anyone know how much it would roughly cost?

Also if you work for a big company, they usually offer medical, dental insurance. But do they deduct for this out of your paycheck or do they actually pay for it for you?
There are a ton of places you can get quotes from. I would google "Health Insurance Providers Texas" and go from there. Call around and get some quotes and do some research. Off the top of my head I can think of United Health Care and Blue Cross Blue Shield.

Small business gets the worst insurance and alot of times no dental and no vision...just really expensive coverage.

Larger corporations tend to have better options and often offer vision and dental. I have heard that if you work for the state you get pretty good health benefits compared to what others get.

Your health insurance gets deducted from your paycheck...(pre-tax). Your company pays for some of it and you cover the rest.

Old 01-20-2009, 11:47 AM

809 posts, read 3,569,303 times
Quote:
But do they deduct for this out of your paycheck or do they actually pay for it for you?
It depends on the company. My company pays 100% of my premium (for me only - I would have money deducted if I wanted to cover my famiy). I have worked other places that only covered some of the cost for the employee.

Old 01-20-2009, 12:08 PM

10,447 posts, read 49,653,116 times
Quote:

If you would have read my post #26 I told you how you can not only finance your medical care at no interest but only pay 50% of the actual cost.

It works. I use it for dental which is over and above what my insurance will cover.

Old 01-20-2009, 02:32 PM

169 posts, read 799,080 times
If you are looking to spend very little money, you might not be able to afford an 80/20 policy. You are better off getting a high deductable policy. When we had to purchase our own insurance, we found the best deal from Humana. I think that if you call a few insurance brokers - you;ll get a much more accurate picture of what is going on.

Employers may choose to pay your premium or they may choose to pay a part of your premium. I get mine pd for but still spend $600+ /mo to have the rest of my family covered.

If you choose to get a high deductable plan, don't go into it looking for one that gives $20 office visits - it won't happen. It really doesn't matter what the office visits cost - if you have the insurance - you will not be billed at the cash rate -you will be billed at the contracted rate, so your office visits will be much cheaper anyway. You just want to get SOMETHING so that you only have to pay contracted rates. That is what will save your bacon financially.

Old 01-20-2009, 03:06 PM

2,857 posts, read 6,724,762 times
I know a visit to the doctor is expensive, even with insurance it can be. But ask yourself, can you afford not to go? If this has been a nagging problem for five years you may be causing more expense and damage to your health. Try a doc in the box clinic if you don't have a regular internest.
And lose the embarrassment. Doctors have seen it all, as have their staff. If its anything serious all modesty will be lost quickly anyway.

Old 01-20-2009, 04:39 PM

112 posts, read 432,576 times
Sigh, it is an unknown skin condition on my "manhood" . It's getting out of hand and seems to be getting worse. I believe I know what it is. But I do not know any doctors or places that specialize in this area? Right now I am not feeling good at all. My world has just completely shut down and I feel extremely out of touch with everything. I tried looking a t a few places online to get an idea of how much it will cost me monthly to have health insurance and it looks to be about $250/month. I am just really scared at this point and seriously do not know who to go or where to start. Sorry if I am being like this.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston