U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-25-2009, 04:25 PM

469 posts, read 1,322,025 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Txgal33 View Post
That is a hard question for us. We use to live in Eagle Springs up until almost two years ago. We built our first home there and just loved living there so our hearts keep pulling us in that direction. Plus the fact the shopping is all right there to include the new Target which I guess for those who live there is not all that new anymore. It is convient to grocery stores like Kroger and Heb plus right there is where our peditricians office was. Heck we could have walked there if we rally wanted to. The Ace had a Post Office. Not sure if they still do and we liked the elementary school.
So the problem is all in the pricing.Summerwood you will find homes priced at least $10,000 less than Eagle Springs so technically we would get more for our money in Summerwood which is what we keep saying. We will buy where we get most house for the money that we are willing to shell out.
My qualm is the fact that it is not Eagle Springs, are friends still live in Eagle Springs, and that shopping is much farther away though hubby disagrees. Also unless you buy a home backing up to the reserve there really are not that many tress on your lot. Also the fact that we have seen the Beltway flood on several occassions right there at the intersection of the Beltway and Summerwood.
The drive for hubby would be shorter since he will be driving to Baytown to start off with so that is a plus but I just do not know. I guess again it all depends on the house. If the house wows me then I may be willing to give in. There is one preowned we are keeping our eye on that fits every request we have. Doubt it will still be there in four months but if it is it will be in the top of our list.
What are you all thinking?? We have not really been looking in Fall Creek. Back when we lived in the area we drove thru there a couple of times and it did not wow us. I am sure we will make the drive again though. The fact that there was nothing out there at the time, also there was no school at the time, and it was down and around from the dump. In the begining we heard people complaining abt the smell and also theft in the area. Not sure if either have subsided. I know they were suppose to be closing the dump.
Sorry for the long post....
I think the Summerwood community plan is a little better than Fall Creek and that is why you most likely were not wowed by Fall Creek. However, I think I would still pick Fall Creek over Summerwood simply because of how close the dump is to Summerwood. You can really smell it in some places, on wet mornings following a rain storm. My favorite of the three you mentioned is Eagle Springs. The ammenities are much better there than they are in either Fall Creek or Summerwood. Not to mention that Eagle Springs is almost complete and so that means you will see much higher appreciation rates in Eagle Springs than you will in the other two. If I thought there was any chance that I might move with in the next 5 years I would go with Eagle Springs even though homes are 10-15K more.

Master planned communities tend to have very low appreciation rates while alot of lots are left and building is still going on. In fact during the middle of the projects pricing can come down. On the other end when a master planned community is almost complete you will see above average appreciation rates for 2-3 years. With appreciation rates that run between 5-8% for that period. Then things return to the norm for the Houston area.

Another thing that I feel is noteworthy is that right now I would personally not have a build job done by any of the builders. Most of them are pretty shaky and several are on the verge of bancruptcy. And if the builder you choose goes bancrupt during the build you will loose your deposit and anything you paid out for upgrades. Just my .02.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-26-2009, 08:19 AM

93 posts, read 271,475 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamesww View Post
I think the Summerwood community plan is a little better than Fall Creek and that is why you most likely were not wowed by Fall Creek. However, I think I would still pick Fall Creek over Summerwood simply because of how close the dump is to Summerwood. You can really smell it in some places, on wet mornings following a rain storm. My favorite of the three you mentioned is Eagle Springs. The ammenities are much better there than they are in either Fall Creek or Summerwood. Not to mention that Eagle Springs is almost complete and so that means you will see much higher appreciation rates in Eagle Springs than you will in the other two. If I thought there was any chance that I might move with in the next 5 years I would go with Eagle Springs even though homes are 10-15K more.

Master planned communities tend to have very low appreciation rates while alot of lots are left and building is still going on. In fact during the middle of the projects pricing can come down. On the other end when a master planned community is almost complete you will see above average appreciation rates for 2-3 years. With appreciation rates that run between 5-8% for that period. Then things return to the norm for the Houston area.

Another thing that I feel is noteworthy is that right now I would personally not have a build job done by any of the builders. Most of them are pretty shaky and several are on the verge of bancruptcy. And if the builder you choose goes bancrupt during the build you will loose your deposit and anything you paid out for upgrades. Just my .02.
Both Fall Creek and Eagle Springs are closer to the dump than Summerwood.

Old 01-26-2009, 06:07 PM

2,262 posts, read 5,656,181 times
Fall Creek and Park Lakes are both VERY close to the land fill. Eagle Springs would probably come in 3rd (though I have never heard any one complain of a smell, and I lots of friends who live there), followed by Summerwood.

Old 01-26-2009, 10:29 PM

3,107 posts, read 8,032,106 times
Txgirl33 - thanks for your perspective about FC vs Summerwood.

We have been considering Fall Creek/Summerwood and more recently Eagle Springs so I'm glad I just happened to read about the landfill.

Where exactly IS this landfill? When we went to Eagle Springs' info center, they told us it was no where near ES or Summerwood but very close to Fall Creek. Fall Creek told us it was not close to them at all and Summerwood said it was closer to Fall Creek. No one claims to have ever smelled the landfill.

As someone who grew up in Staten Island (NY) and lived 10 miles away from the world's largest landfill at the time, the stench was HORRIBLE - especially in the height of humid summers. But, I distinctly remember the maliferous odor during the winter months, too, so really there was not much respite from the smells.

I don't know how big this particular landfill is but if there's a potential for it to receive years of garbage by the tons over the next 15 years, I would not want to buy a house to raise my family in within 10-15 miles radius of this landfill based on my experience.

ETA - FYI according to Google Maps:

landfill to Eagle Springs - 4.8 miles
landfill to Summerwood - 5.9 miles
landfill to Fall Creek - 2.7 miles

I also just read on another message board that someone from Fall Creek met with Tim Cox (Director of Landfill Operations), Bernard Remmes (District Manager - Atascocita Landfill), and Lisa Doughty (Community Relations Manager) back in 2007. According to the info he/she gathered, the landfill has 20 more years of operating capacity - so until about 2029. Also, additional land was permitted in 2005 doubling the capacity of the landfill.

I wanted to add a caveat to the information I found regarding the 20+ yrs of operating capacity on the Atascocita Landfill: there seems to be a lot of conflicting information about the someday/maybe closure of the landfill. Several posts I've seen were claiming a 2007 closure so please take what I wrote with a grain of salt & proceed with your own research.

This pretty much kills those areas for me thanks to living on the same island as the Fresh Kills Landfill.

Last edited by Sampaguita; 01-26-2009 at 10:50 PM..

Old 01-26-2009, 10:56 PM

1,042 posts, read 2,791,219 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sampaguita View Post

We have been considering Fall Creek/Summerwood and more recently Eagle Springs so I'm glad I just happened to read about the landfill.

Where exactly IS this landfill? When we went to Eagle Springs' info center, they told us it was no where near ES or Summerwood but very close to Fall Creek. Fall Creek told us it was not close to them at all and Summerwood said it was closer to Fall Creek. No one claims to have ever smelled the landfill.

As someone who grew up in Staten Island (NY) and lived 10 miles away from the world's largest landfill at the time, the stench was HORRIBLE - especially in the height of humid summers. But, I distinctly remember the maliferous odor during the winter months, too, so really there was not much respite from the smells.

I don't know how big this particular landfill is but if there's a potential for it to receive years of garbage by the tons over the next 15 years, I would not want to buy a house to raise my family in within 10-15 miles radius of this landfill based on my experience.

I also just read on another message board that someone from Fall Creek met with Tim Cox (Director of Landfill Operations), Bernard Remmes (District Manager - Atascocita Landfill), and Lisa Doughty (Community Relations Manager) back in 2007. According to the info he/she gathered, the landfill has 20 more years of operating capacity - so until about 2029. Also, additional land was permitted in 2005 doubling the capacity of the landfill.

I wanted to add a caveat to the information I found regarding the 20+ yrs of operating capacity on the Atascocita Landfill: there seems to be a lot of conflicting information about the someday/maybe closure of the landfill. Several posts I've seen were claiming a 2007 closure so please take what I wrote with a grain of salt & proceed with your own research.

This pretty much kills those areas for me thanks to living on the same island as the Fresh Kills Landfill.
That is odd about the more land for teh dump. Back when we relocated in 2007 it was said that the dump was closing within the next two to three years. Very interesting indeed. As for the smell seriously the 5 years we lived in Eagle Springs it NEVER smelled! Trust me I have a low thresh hold for smells! I actually had never even heard anybody complaining bat the smell in Summerwood. Fall Creek yes and well of course Park Lakes is a big negative! I believe that sadly enough people who choose to purchase there....beautiful homes yes indeed...will never see their money back out of them. Just no appreciation value as long as the dump is there. Just my opinion though. We keep coming across those homes on MLS and love um but there is just no way.

Old 01-26-2009, 11:27 PM

1,042 posts, read 2,791,219 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sampaguita View Post

Just finished your read. To be honest I do not see where it could expand since they have already built new neighborhoods around there. They could go up the road towards Atascocita but there is the little league field or whatever that is and well I doubt that golf community....what is it it called....anyways, I doubt it would allow for the dump to be that close to it. I wish I could rememeber...oh yeah, Tour 18.
So where are ya looking now? Thanx for the heads up on the signing. Though we would love to build again it just is not posible or smart at this time. Last time around we had like a four week turnaround. We had actually signed on a home here before our home in Eagle Springs was even on the market. Thankfully in just 8 days we had a contract on it! I am know we won't be so lucky this tme around. So it will more than likely be a preowned home though we have always lived in new construction. Probably not the smartest thing to do but it is what we have always just done.

Old 01-27-2009, 12:15 AM

3,107 posts, read 8,032,106 times
We're going to take our time now as far as finding a place to buy. While it might be a pipe-dream, I do NOT want to move again after we buy our next house so I want to be sure we're moving into an area that really will fit our needs for the forseeable future.

Other areas we're looking into are Sugar Land and certain parts of Missouri City as well as areas in the 77024 & 77079 zip (although I don't think we're going to find something in our budget unless we want to do some big renovations). A good Catholic church & school are really driving us right now but our list of "must-haves" keeps changing based on what we're seeing out there so we could end up right back where we started.

Old 01-27-2009, 04:41 AM

2,262 posts, read 5,656,181 times
The main intrance to the land fill is on Wilson road right before you get to Atascocita Road (going north). I am not sure where more land would be like a PP said, because Wilson road is on the West side, Atascocita Road is on the north side, on the Eastern side there is a large park with sports complexes that backs up to it, and on the South side is of course Park Lakes.

I would never in a million years live in Park Lakes. It's way to close to the dump. And it's backed up to a well established trailer park, albeit a nicer looking one.

Fall Creek is nice, and has a nice commute. I would probably consider homes closer to the Mesa Drive side, or further in the back.

Eagle Springs....ahhh i would kill to live there. Actually I am trying to talk my hubby into moving there. And I bet that I could get from Eagle Springs to 59 in the same amount of time as someone who left from Summerwood. I will have to time it one day.

Summerwood is also nice, but has a further commute. The only reason we didn't build there was because the community where we live (Walden) offered the same house for $20,000 off the base price. At the time, it was a better deal.

I have a really nice Google Maps picture and had labeled all the areas mentioned above and their relative location to the dump for those that claim Fall Creek and Park Lakes are not close to the land fill. Now if I can just figure out how to post it...

Old 01-27-2009, 06:40 AM

187 posts, read 628,310 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lhafer View Post
I have a really nice Google Maps picture and had labeled all the areas mentioned above and their relative location to the dump for those that claim Fall Creek and Park Lakes are not close to the land fill. Now if I can just figure out how to post it...
I may be able to help you with this. Is it an online map, or one you've downloaded and modified?

Old 01-27-2009, 09:36 AM

469 posts, read 1,322,025 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HH1962 View Post
Both Fall Creek and Eagle Springs are closer to the dump than Summerwood.
How interesting I have never once smelled anything in Fall Creek or Eagle Springs but have personally witnessed unpleasant odors in Summerwood.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston