U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-27-2009, 10:02 AM

2,262 posts, read 5,657,644 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by plaidfrogg View Post
I may be able to help you with this. Is it an online map, or one you've downloaded and modified?
The only way I could make it small enough was to zip it. So I have it on my computer, as a zipped file. But what happens when I post it, and people try to unzip it? I am not familiar with zipped files. I know you can choose how to open it. Would that work? I don't want anyone to have access to my computer files.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-27-2009, 10:08 AM

187 posts, read 628,432 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lhafer View Post
The only way I could make it small enough was to zip it. So I have it on my computer, as a zipped file. But what happens when I post it, and people try to unzip it? I am not familiar with zipped files. I know you can choose how to open it. Would that work? I don't want anyone to have access to my computer files.
I just sent you a direct message.

Old 01-27-2009, 11:36 AM

1,042 posts, read 2,791,744 times
Quote:
The main intrance to the land fill is on Wilson road right before you get to Atascocita Road (going north). I am not sure where more land would be like a PP said, because Wilson road is on the West side, Atascocita Road is on the north side, on the Eastern side there is a large park with sports complexes that backs up to it, and on the South side is of course Park Lakes.

I would never in a million years live in Park Lakes. It's way to close to the dump. And it's backed up to a well established trailer park, albeit a nicer looking one.

Fall Creek is nice, and has a nice commute. I would probably consider homes closer to the Mesa Drive side, or further in the back.

Eagle Springs....ahhh i would kill to live there. Actually I am trying to talk my hubby into moving there. And I bet that I could get from Eagle Springs to 59 in the same amount of time as someone who left from Summerwood. I will have to time it one day.

Summerwood is also nice, but has a further commute. The only reason we didn't build there was because the community where we live (Walden) offered the same house for $20,000 off the base price. At the time, it was a better deal.

I have a really nice Google Maps picture and had labeled all the areas mentioned above and their relative location to the dump for those that claim Fall Creek and Park Lakes are not close to the land fill. Now if I can just figure out how to post it...
What are your thoughts on Walden?? We are looking at some older homes in there I think all are on the course. Are the dues yearly or monthly??? Love Eagle Springs but as of right now so do all of the builders and owners! I think we will still end up back there though unless something just wows us some where else.

Old 01-27-2009, 12:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Txgal33 View Post
What are your thoughts on Walden?? We are looking at some older homes in there I think all are on the course. Are the dues yearly or monthly??? Love Eagle Springs but as of right now so do all of the builders and owners! I think we will still end up back there though unless something just wows us some where else.
Here's my take on Walden: if you are a golfer, then it's a great community.

We originally wanted to build in Eagle Springs. This was over 4 years ago, and they weren't built up very much. We didn't particularly care for the builders that were there at the time. We fell in love with a Meritage home, and they were building in Walden and Summerwood. Summerwood wanted $20,000+ just on top of the base price for the same floor plan that we got in Walden. So then the choice was easy....Walden.

Here's why I want to move OUT of Walden and go to Eagle Springs:

1. Walden's HOA fees are $200/year for maintenance fees. And then you have monthly dues of $74. This gets you club house access where the weight rooms are, and access to the pool. So that's $1,100/year in HOA fees. If you want to do tennis, it's extra a month (like $120 I think). And golf membership is like $3,000/year additional or something like that. We pay much more in HOA fees than Summerwood or Eagle Springs for much less ammenities. Fall Creek has higher HOA fees...but then again is a nicer golf course community that hosts the Shell Open.

2. It's an older community, and the houses are NOT cookie cutter. One drive through it and you can see that. But at the same time, there are NO sidewalks in my community. I HATE THIS! I have a 3 year old and if she wants to ride her tricycle, she has to do it in the street. VERY unsafe. THis is my #1 qualm with Walden, and why I want to move.

3. Because it's a golf course community, kids drive golf carts all the time. In the road, not just on the course. And they pile themselves on until I swear it's going to tip over, and they don't know how to drive. There have been complaints, but it's hard to keep this under control. I swear I see kids as young as 10 years old driving their golf cart down the street. We live in the very back of the community, so I have to swerve around these kids all the time.

4. I feel like the neighborhood is going southward. Meaning I feel like the people that are moving in to my neighborhood are the kind of folks that normally would be moving into a $90,000 community, not a $250,000. That may sound bad, but when your neighbors party all the time, and have loud music playing, or reving their harley's in the driveway at midnight...it gets really old.

5. From my research (I am an avid user of HAR.com because I LOVE looking at houses)...it seems like Walden is selling at least $30,000 below Eagle Springs for comprable houses. At least the comps I looked at for mine. That's why we feel like we can't move right now...we wouldn't get what we paid for our house.

Sorry this is so long, but you wanted my take on Walden. All I can suggest is MOVE TO EAGLE SPRINGS. I wish I had when we had the chance. Right now HAR.com is showing Walden to have 55 homes for sale, not including any For Sale By Owners of course. Eagle Springs is showing 100+ homes for sale. Now Walden may have less homes for sale because the resale value is low right now. But since there are so many homes for sale in Eagle Springs, you should be able to make a better deal - buyer's market!

Old 01-27-2009, 02:58 PM

3,107 posts, read 8,033,425 times
lhafer - thanks for your view points on Walden. It's good to read some from a current resident.

Did you have any interest whatsoever in Lakeshore? Any feedback on that development?

Old 01-27-2009, 07:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sampaguita View Post
lhafer - thanks for your view points on Walden. It's good to read some from a current resident.

Did you have any interest whatsoever in Lakeshore? Any feedback on that development?
At the time we moved Lakeshore didn't exist. It started being built right after we moved into Walden. I have driven through the lake side of Lakeshore, and really liked what I saw. I hear the lot sizes are pretty nice size. The other side of Lakeshore (on the other side of W. Lake Houston) are cheaper homes due to being further away from the water. I have not driven through there. Their HOA fees are around $675/year I believe. And their ammenities are really nice...a lot like Summerwood and Eagle Springs.

I have a friend who currently lives here in Walden as well, and their #1 choice of community in the area is Lakeshore. They liked the size of the lots, and thought Eagle Springs was a little too cookie cutter for them.

If we were moving next week, and I had my choice of neighborhoods...I would look into Lakeshore. But from what I have researched, it's a little pricier than Eagle Springs in my opinion. So it would be in order of preference:
1. Eagle Springs - I just love the feel of this community. I always see people and families out and about when I pass through (which is at least twice a day going to/from work...wrenching really).
2. Lakeshore - nice community, Kids R Kids day care (my daughter currently attends the Eagle Springs one), and new elementary is being built. Closer to shopping, grocery than Summerwood.
3. Summerwood - nice community. I have heard that it's been going downhill the past few years due to builders giving incentives to Katrina victims...but I have no proof of this.
4. Fall Creek - nice community. Nice commute to downtown/med center. A lot closer to the land fill, and further away from shopping...Super Walmart just doesn't cut it for me.
5. Park Lakes - never ever would I live here.

Now there is Water's Edge (or whatever it's called) between Lakeshore and Walden on W. Lake Houston Pkwy that's an upper end Pulte community. But my husband goes to school with one of the civil engineers for this community, and it's rumored that Pulte's going to pull out of this community. I am not sure what would happen, since it's ONLY Pulte there. It's gated, has lake front lots, and starts around $250,00 up to $500,000. Not sure why it's not talked about much on here.

Old 01-28-2009, 03:34 PM

Quote:
At the time we moved Lakeshore didn't exist. It started being built right after we moved into Walden. I have driven through the lake side of Lakeshore, and really liked what I saw. I hear the lot sizes are pretty nice size. The other side of Lakeshore (on the other side of W. Lake Houston) are cheaper homes due to being further away from the water. I have not driven through there. Their HOA fees are around $675/year I believe. And their ammenities are really nice...a lot like Summerwood and Eagle Springs.

I have a friend who currently lives here in Walden as well, and their #1 choice of community in the area is Lakeshore. They liked the size of the lots, and thought Eagle Springs was a little too cookie cutter for them.

If we were moving next week, and I had my choice of neighborhoods...I would look into Lakeshore. But from what I have researched, it's a little pricier than Eagle Springs in my opinion. So it would be in order of preference:
1. Eagle Springs - I just love the feel of this community. I always see people and families out and about when I pass through (which is at least twice a day going to/from work...wrenching really).
2. Lakeshore - nice community, Kids R Kids day care (my daughter currently attends the Eagle Springs one), and new elementary is being built. Closer to shopping, grocery than Summerwood.
3. Summerwood - nice community. I have heard that it's been going downhill the past few years due to builders giving incentives to Katrina victims...but I have no proof of this.
4. Fall Creek - nice community. Nice commute to downtown/med center. A lot closer to the land fill, and further away from shopping...Super Walmart just doesn't cut it for me.
5. Park Lakes - never ever would I live here.

Now there is Water's Edge (or whatever it's called) between Lakeshore and Walden on W. Lake Houston Pkwy that's an upper end Pulte community. But my husband goes to school with one of the civil engineers for this community, and it's rumored that Pulte's going to pull out of this community. I am not sure what would happen, since it's ONLY Pulte there. It's gated, has lake front lots, and starts around $250,00 up to $500,000. Not sure why it's not talked about much on here.
We have never been impressed with Pulte and honestly did not see how they kept getting so many housing awards. The contruction quality is by far less than quality in our opinion. We did look there the last time we wee in the area and said wow to some of the homes but after going in a few, I was no longer saying wow.
Lakeshore on the lake side is nice. The other side was alrady being built when we lived there last and I was not impressed with that side at all. We have yet to drive thru the lake side but again like you say homes seem to be far more expensive and I am not so crazy abt how the club house and pool are right there in your face as you drive by. West Lake Houston will only be getting busier and I would not want to watch all that traffic go by while at the pool.

Old 01-28-2009, 03:50 PM

Quote:
Here's my take on Walden: if you are a golfer, then it's a great community.

We originally wanted to build in Eagle Springs. This was over 4 years ago, and they weren't built up very much. We didn't particularly care for the builders that were there at the time. We fell in love with a Meritage home, and they were building in Walden and Summerwood. Summerwood wanted $20,000+ just on top of the base price for the same floor plan that we got in Walden. So then the choice was easy....Walden.

Here's why I want to move OUT of Walden and go to Eagle Springs:

1. Walden's HOA fees are $200/year for maintenance fees. And then you have monthly dues of $74. This gets you club house access where the weight rooms are, and access to the pool. So that's $1,100/year in HOA fees. If you want to do tennis, it's extra a month (like $120 I think). And golf membership is like $3,000/year additional or something like that. We pay much more in HOA fees than Summerwood or Eagle Springs for much less ammenities. Fall Creek has higher HOA fees...but then again is a nicer golf course community that hosts the Shell Open.

2. It's an older community, and the houses are NOT cookie cutter. One drive through it and you can see that. But at the same time, there are NO sidewalks in my community. I HATE THIS! I have a 3 year old and if she wants to ride her tricycle, she has to do it in the street. VERY unsafe. THis is my #1 qualm with Walden, and why I want to move.

3. Because it's a golf course community, kids drive golf carts all the time. In the road, not just on the course. And they pile themselves on until I swear it's going to tip over, and they don't know how to drive. There have been complaints, but it's hard to keep this under control. I swear I see kids as young as 10 years old driving their golf cart down the street. We live in the very back of the community, so I have to swerve around these kids all the time.

4. I feel like the neighborhood is going southward. Meaning I feel like the people that are moving in to my neighborhood are the kind of folks that normally would be moving into a $90,000 community, not a $250,000. That may sound bad, but when your neighbors party all the time, and have loud music playing, or reving their harley's in the driveway at midnight...it gets really old.

5. From my research (I am an avid user of HAR.com because I LOVE looking at houses)...it seems like Walden is selling at least $30,000 below Eagle Springs for comprable houses. At least the comps I looked at for mine. That's why we feel like we can't move right now...we wouldn't get what we paid for our house.

Sorry this is so long, but you wanted my take on Walden. All I can suggest is MOVE TO EAGLE SPRINGS. I wish I had when we had the chance. Right now HAR.com is showing Walden to have 55 homes for sale, not including any For Sale By Owners of course. Eagle Springs is showing 100+ homes for sale. Now Walden may have less homes for sale because the resale value is low right now. But since there are so many homes for sale in Eagle Springs, you should be able to make a better deal - buyer's market!
Of course those numbers do not include the new construction that are not even on MLS. I as well LOVE looking at houses and love open houses of new homes. I like to see how they are decorated and all. We honestly have been watching the market there for a year now knowing that we will be back in June sometime of this year. Obsessive a bit yes but we also like to stay informed. Our Realtor will hate us because we even know of a site that tells us what homes actually sold for!
We looked in Walden back in 2002 and for the fact that it dose not have sidewalks we passed on it. We knew we always wanted kids and so we wanted a neighorhood with sidewalks. Some people who lived across from us in the apartments wanted us to show them around up there and we showed them both Eagle and Walden and they chose Walden probably because of the price of the home they purchased as well.
Summerwood was and is nice but still too far out for my taste and honestly the feel is still for some reason different than Eagle Springs.I do not know what it is but there is something. That and it always seemed wet there and even after we moved into ES whenever there was a bad storm Summerwood alsways seemed to be the hardest hit as far as power outages and what not. That and hubby says the cable sucks there. We may still end up there but it is by far NOT my first choice at all. We will use it as a last resort if need be but I think we will be able to get something that has almost every thing on our list at rock bottom prices in Eagle Springs. At least that is what I am hoping. Our list is kinda long and our budget kinda short. I am sure everybody knows how that goes.
Thanx for your input on Walden! I guess unless there is something that wows us there we will pass on it. That and I would have to leave cookie crumbs to get home. I ALWAYS get lost in there.

Old 01-28-2009, 08:22 PM

Getting lost in Walden is definitely possible!! I don't even know all the roads and I have lived here for 4 years!

On the way home I thought of another reason why I would choose Eagle Springs over Summerwood...the roads.

Summerwood and Lakeshore for that matter, have W. Lake Houston to the Beltway. That's it. With the construction that's about to begin on the Beltway...I would be wary. It should be nice once it's finished though.

Eagle Springs...I take my daughter to the Kids R Kids there every day. So I can go back to W. Lake Houston to the beltway (like I did the other day because there was a wreck my normal way). I can take Will Clayton all the way to 59. I can take Atascocita Road to Wilson and catch the Beltway that way (my usual route). Or you can take Atascocita all the way down to the beltway to get to 59 (the fastest route to 59 really).

Old 01-28-2009, 09:11 PM

3,107 posts, read 8,033,425 times
We visited both sides of Lakeshore and definitely the lake-side is nicer IMHO. Of course, you pay for more quality homes and larger lots on the lake-side. We didn't like the non-lake-side of Lakeshore - everything seemed a bit too close together.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston