U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 01-20-2009, 10:27 PM

Location: from houstoner to bostoner to new yorker to new jerseyite ;)
4,085 posts, read 11,220,884 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJboutit View Post
There is store off OST that sells Obama Shirts
He said a SAFE place.

I kid, I kid.

(kinda )

Old 01-20-2009, 10:40 PM

12,521 posts, read 22,337,052 times
You mean they're not selling any knock off Obama gear at the local flea markets, mall kiosques, & gas stations yet?

Old 01-21-2009, 05:10 AM

4,751 posts, read 12,042,562 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DJboutit View Post
There is store off OST that sells Obama Shirts
What is OST?

Old 01-21-2009, 06:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Topaz View Post
What is OST?
Why, I'm glad you asked because it gives me an opportunity to insert a little Houston history lesson! What a way to start the day!

History

Look under East Texas to read about the Houston portion.
TX

There will be a motorcade in 2029 to celebrate the highway's centennial! Let's hope it comes through Houston.
http://www.oldspanishtrailcentennial.com/index.htm

But to most Houstonians, the portion the above poster is referring to is just a notorious street that runs through (what is roughly the edge of) Third Ward.

Old 01-21-2009, 09:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by houstoner View Post
But to most Houstonians, the portion the above poster is referring to is just a notorious street that runs through (what is roughly the edge of) Third Ward.
Why is it notorious? I drove on it this morning to get to work. It is not the most lovely or safe looking part of town, but is there something I should know?

Old 01-21-2009, 11:09 PM

83 posts, read 270,688 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by houstoner View Post
Well, no. It's actually in Midtown close to HCC-Central in one direction and on the border with Montrose in the other.

i should have just said that its near the central campus instead of saying it right before you get to it, but regardless it is across the street from the breakfast club.

and yes ost is a bad street sometimes at night. there was an incident that happened at the gas staion on old spanish trail and scott street ahwile back.

Old 01-22-2009, 03:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Topaz View Post
Why is it notorious? I drove on it this morning to get to work. It is not the most lovely or safe looking part of town, but is there something I should know?
You should be okay during the day as long as you're just passing through. I don't recommend ever stopping at that gas station across from Timmy Chan's on the corner of OST and Scott the previous poster mentioned, however. I made that mistake once. There's that place and a "no-tell" motel with some unsavory characters not far from that intersection. A rapper from Portland was killed there last year. Portland rapper found shot in Houston motel - Breaking News Updates from Portland and Oregon - The Oregonian - OregonLive.com To be fair, I think the area is cleaning up some. Lots of retail have moved in to that area over the last few years. Just be sure to gas up and mind the potholes. You don't want to get a flat tire.

Old 01-22-2009, 06:39 AM

8,156 posts, read 26,420,381 times
OST @ Scott? Ah yes. You could probably get all the Obama gear in the world there. I have some fond memories exploring that area. Used to be pretty damn rough 5 years ago. I'd be really surprised if it's that much better now. If Timmy Chan's is still there, consider it rough.

There used to be an HEB there in which someone shot up the store in broad daylight. Had to be the crappiest HEB I've ever shopped in... And the only full-size grocery store I've ever bought or even seen a 40-oz at.

Interesting characters came out at night, too. I had an old project Mustang I was beating up on 610 and the streets that stalled about 1am out there. It flooded and the battery died. Out of the blue, a group of homeless people found me and helped me push-start it. I'll never forget one of them, a cracked-out, 19-20 yr old Asian kid who gave me some electrical advice that actually worked.

A couple of times I'd take the split @ Griggs to get some of that air freshener spray at Bam's. Great addition for detailing, which I was big into. Also good for masking smoke.

When we were looking at a place to get our marriage license, we went down that way a bit farther according to the county website. Well we got down and it turned out to be a jail and nothing more. The website hadn't been updated to reflect the change. That was a trip.

Looking back, seems I had some serious cojones sometimes. And reflecting back at what I remember, out of all the areas in town I've spent time at, the most ignorance by far came out of that area.

Old 01-22-2009, 09:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tstone View Post
OST @ Scott? Ah yes. You could probably get all the Obama gear in the world there. I have some fond memories exploring that area. Used to be pretty damn rough 5 years ago. I'd be really surprised if it's that much better now. If Timmy Chan's is still there, consider it rough.
Still there, or at least the sign is still there. I drive by it all the time.

Although after reading this thread, I think I need a new route!

Old 01-22-2009, 09:48 PM

8,309 posts, read 33,329,150 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tabloodsaw View Post
Can anyone help? I am here in Houston for a few weeks and have been invited to an informal gathering to watch the inauguration. I need to buy some Obama gear, i.e. t-shirt, hat, etc. but want to go to places that are relatively safe for me to travel to considering. Any suggestions?

HA HA HA HA HA!!!

Did you make it through the inauguration in one piece? I was worried about you...

Gotta be careful here, lots of dudes in sheets after dark. HA HA HA!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or