Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-10-2007, 06:53 PM

4 posts, read 20,674 times

Advertisements

Hello. I am doing research on various areas of Houston as we are possibly being transferred there. We have visited The Woodlands before and there is no doubt it is nice. What I am really curious about though is whether or not there are a lot of "snobby cliques" in that area. No offense to anyone, but when we were there we spent a little time in Sugarland and people there said there was a lot of that in The Woodlands. The area that we live now (in the north) is very much like that and I hate it. It is just flat out known for being that way. Do you know if The Woodlands really does have a reputation as such?

We are also looking at Katy, and would like to look more south towards the water but we're not sure if we will have the time for more research.

Thanks in advance for any input.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-10-2007, 07:57 PM

46 posts, read 245,649 times
I just moved here from the North last year and can say if you like "The Woodlands" area then check out Spring. It is "The Woodlands" with out the higher price tag. "The Woodlands" (notice the quotes LOL) does have a bit of snobbish factor. It is really over priced. I live off of Rayford Rd and have a beautiful house. In "The Woodlands" it would be about 20k more. This is just a few miles from "The Woodlands." In fact turn right onto Sawdust instead and your in "The Woodlands."

If you have kids you really don't want them to goto "The Woodlands" schools unless they can drive a Hummer or Escalade to school. The area of Spring I live is the Conroe school district. Conroe is a very good school district.

Living here is great. We get to use "The Woodlands" for its good parts, but not live with the bad parts. Although I maybe moving soon I love my house and neighborhood.

Where will you be working? How long do you want your commute to be? If you want to hear more about where I live let me know. Also the streets and roads are a mess down here. Roads stop and start, you hit a dead end then suddenly you go around and there the road starts again.

Old 03-10-2007, 09:26 PM

dpn0121, Thank you for that information. Yes, we do have a child and she will not be driving a Hummer or Escalade to school. Those were the types of things I had heard about The Woodlands. I'm sure that may not be the case for everyone, but I would worry if it was the majority. I just don't want to get in an area that tends to have the clique thing going on.

I will check out Conroe on the internet this weekend. The commute is not an issue as my husband has a home office, thankfully!!

I am worrying myself sick about our child changing from an average size school to such a large school. It's just so scary when you read about gangs in schools, etc. Do you know much about the Katy area/schools?

Thanks again.

Old 03-10-2007, 10:00 PM

I do not sorry, but I have read on the forum that it is also nice.

Old 03-11-2007, 09:42 AM

6,884 posts, read 20,407,466 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vball View Post
dpn0121, Thank you for that information. Yes, we do have a child and she will not be driving a Hummer or Escalade to school. Those were the types of things I had heard about The Woodlands. I'm sure that may not be the case for everyone, but I would worry if it was the majority. I just don't want to get in an area that tends to have the clique thing going on.

I will check out Conroe on the internet this weekend. The commute is not an issue as my husband has a home office, thankfully!!

I am worrying myself sick about our child changing from an average size school to such a large school. It's just so scary when you read about gangs in schools, etc. Do you know much about the Katy area/schools?

Thanks again.
Hi there--new to posting here, but not to the forum. I just wanted to point out that in any city, town, etc you are going to have a group of "rich kids". It is unavoidable, there isn't a town in this state that doesn't have them on various income levels and the message is always the same. It is up to us as responsible parents to make sure OUR message gets through all that crap that our kids see. The Woodlands is no different from Sugar Land with snobbery, IMHO, or any other place in the US. The only way to avoid cliques is to move to 50 acres of unrestricted land somewhere, homeschool your kids, watch church on TV, and have your groceries delivered.

My best friend in high school drove a BMW. I never could understand why I couldn't have one too at the time, but now I do, and that is what is important. My friend is still floundering with entitlement issues from his parents and he's 36 years old. It is kinda sad.

Just stick to your guns with your kids and show them the right way and they'll flourish no matter where they are.

Old 03-11-2007, 10:03 AM

Very good reply!

Old 03-11-2007, 02:20 PM

24 posts, read 111,642 times
Default Woodlands

I have been living here for the last three years and we are getting ready to move to Denver because of my husband's job. When we first arrived, we lived in the Southern end of town (Grogan's Mill) and now we live in Cochran's Crossing. There was no snobby feeling at all to the school in Grogan's Mill. The population was diverse and the elem. school was phenomenal. It's close to the freeway and you may be able to find a nice, inexpensive, albeit older home in this area (zip 77380).

Now, we live in Cochran's Crossing (77381) and the elementary school (Galatas) has its share of rich folk driving expensive cars. Where you sense the snobbiness is when you are around PTA volunteers. The kids don't know the difference between the classes and frankly, I feel it's up to us, as the previous person mentioned, to teach kids our values etc. There is a fantastic church here if you are interested, called Northwoods Unitarian, if you are interested in a liberal, humanist, family friendly church.

The Middle School for this area is fantastic with a great principal. (Mitchell Interm.). Again, some nice cars, but others no so nice. Teachers are overall great, and this school has won awards for being in the Top schools of Texas.

I wouldn't worry about the snob thing in The Woodlands. Just find a nice family friendly neighborhood, check out the school in person if you can, and go for it. Moderator cut: house info We have a pond around the corner for kids to fish, and it's a great cul de sac street with great kids/neighbors. I am very liberal/anti-snob, and I love it here. My husband's a pilot working out of Denver, so we have to get closer to him or else we would stay.

Good luck! Let me know if you have any questions! Glad to help.

Last edited by AustinTraveler; 03-11-2007 at 02:35 PM.. Reason: Sorry, no advertising. Use PM or post in Classifieds forum.

Old 03-11-2007, 04:08 PM

404 posts, read 1,245,267 times
This is also my first post here. I recently moved to Grogan's Mill and love it - cost of living so far has been very reasonable and the people I've met have been friendly and helpful. Just the change I've been looking for although I've not spent much time in the other villages - I know some are quite exclusive but I am certain you will find plenty of good and unpretentious people in every one of them.

Although I don't have kids, one of the wonderful things about the area is seeing them walking home from school or out on their bicycles without constant supervision. What a change from Houston where my family can't even let their children out in the front yard or turn them loose in their own neighborhood. Every time they want to ride bikes, they have to load them up and take them to Rice University or Memorial Park...not good, so this has been very refreshing.

Snobby cliques will always exist but I was given very good advise when I was younger: Rise Above It...and I did and am now comfortable living and working around those from all walks of life - it's the way I was brought up and never felt deprived at all. I grew up in a privileged area in Houston but I was not privileged. So I chose my friends carefully, but never begrudged or *lusted* after their more extravagant lifestyle which was unattainable for my beautiful mother who raised 8 children alone. There are good and bad people all over the place, regardless of their finances...or lack thereof.

The fresh air is wonderful at the moment, the trees are beautiful, I'm adapting to the slower pace real good and life in the 'Sticks' is great. Hope you will consider this area.

Old 03-11-2007, 05:16 PM

Thanks everyone for all the great comments. I completely agree about it being more important how we raise our children. We live by those values daily, but I am definitely going to shy away from an area that is just flat out known for snobbish behavior. Where we live now is just unbelievably snobbish and I just don't care for it. I am just fine in that I can handle myself around it, but for me it's a choice and I would rather be around people that don't worry about keeping up with the Jones'.

It sounds like The Woodlands is great and that one could be in an area where there is not so much of that. I think it is larger than what we realize as well.

It is on the top of our list and your comments/input are much appreciated. Thanks again.

Old 05-14-2007, 04:27 AM

27 posts, read 137,071 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vball View Post
Thanks everyone for all the great comments. I completely agree about it being more important how we raise our children. We live by those values daily, but I am definitely going to shy away from an area that is just flat out known for snobbish behavior. Where we live now is just unbelievably snobbish and I just don't care for it. I am just fine in that I can handle myself around it, but for me it's a choice and I would rather be around people that don't worry about keeping up with the Jones'.

It sounds like The Woodlands is great and that one could be in an area where there is not so much of that. I think it is larger than what we realize as well.

It is on the top of our list and your comments/input are much appreciated. Thanks again.
If you are interested in the coast area, there are a lot of nice homes down here, and the area has just about everything you would need. For cultural events, Houston is about 45 mins. to an hour, and Galveston is also 45 mins away. Clear Lake, Seabrook, League City areas are nice, and the Clear Creek ISD has a very good reputation.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston