U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-21-2009, 06:42 PM

419 posts, read 1,707,835 times

Advertisements

I understand this store just opened today. Anyone check it out yet and how does it compare to the older one thats further North on hwy 6 at Austin Parkway (Dulles) ...? Competition is on with the new Kroger at 6 and Ft Bend Co tollway.....
Quick reply to this message

Old 01-21-2009, 07:00 PM

109 posts, read 523,760 times
I haven't been there yet, but, according to a source at HEB, this new store should be really nice. It was one of two 112,000 s.f. stores that they are opening with this new "Sienna concept," which has elements of a Central Market, but is more tailored to the community. They will have a large organic food section, a large selection of prime meats, a 40' seafood display, over 300 varieties of beer and 2,000 varieties of wine (woo hoo!).

If you live in the Ft. Bend area, be on the lookout for coupons for freebies in the mail to be redeemed during their grand opening weeks.

Old 01-21-2009, 07:31 PM

419 posts, read 1,707,835 times
I remember reading in a local NP that fresh fish will be brought in daily.

Old 01-21-2009, 07:48 PM

103 posts, read 385,655 times
I went to the grand opening of the Kroger. Much, much nicer than the one by Glenn Lakes! Used my free coupons. Wasn't able to make it to the new HEB, the one I've truly been waiting for. Maybe this weekend; even my kiddos are excited.

Old 01-22-2009, 08:05 AM

26 posts, read 100,210 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChangeIsGood View Post
I went to the grand opening of the Kroger. Much, much nicer than the one by Glenn Lakes! Used my free coupons. Wasn't able to make it to the new HEB, the one I've truly been waiting for. Maybe this weekend; even my kiddos are excited.
I agree that the new Krogers at the FT. Bend toll is nice, clean, and everyone was very friendly. I plan to check out the new HEB Friday.

Old 01-22-2009, 10:14 AM

579 posts, read 925,582 times
Ive lived on hwy 6 for eight years...we had to go to either Hwy 6 and 1092 to grocery shop, or over to Pearland, and in a matter of one week, two new grocery stores opened!!! amazing......now, i bet Walmart will go ahead and start their construction on their new superstore in front of Vicksburg. You know the green eyed monster that the boys in Bentonville Ak have! Ive been to both...here are my opinion on each:

I went to Kroger on saturday morning to get some milk...I didnt stay in there long, but it was very spaceous and had a bunch of room....its bigger then the Kroger on hwy6/1092 and bigger than the new Kroger on shadow creek ranch/288, but its smaller than the HEB plus store on 518/288.

I went back to Kroger on tuesday the 20th to do some shopping....got there around 815, and they had at least 25 workers there kind of loitering around, as if they didnt know what to do....they were friendly asking If I needed help, but I told them I was good....they have coffee bar set up, selling Seattles Best coffee, and they also sell hot meals from the kitchen. I picked up some breakfast for $1.79 (two pieces of bacon, a spoonful(thats being generous) of grits, a potatoe patty and two spoonfuls of eggs. it was okay, but it didnt make me forget IHOP or Dennys.)

I took my time walking around the store, getting familiar to the location of eveything since I know the other location on 1092/6 like the back of my hand. They have more aisles in the new kroger, and the products are in different locations......I noticed that the produce section is kind of small, but the hot food section, deli bar, and live cooking stations are fairly large. The pharmacy is pretty big too, but they are slow as heck...I was dropping off a prescription to get the free $20 in groceries and they didnt have it ready after an hour, saying they were "backed up", but had only been open for four days...

non the less, they have a large sampling of books and magazines, their seafood and meat departments are pretty big, and the dairy department is stocked with the usual kroger staples(springfield milk, kroger brand, borden, Simply Orange OJ, and the like). The store has hard wood floors through out the entire store...The restroom area is bigger then the other Krogers on hwy 6, and it even includes a "family room", the parking lot is not as big as it appears from hwy 6, because they have seperated the gas station away from the main parking area, and the other storefront locations in the shopping center are still being worked on...... I see a burger king sign in front, so BK is coming...it would be nice to get an IHOP or any sit down restuarant right there too..... Gas was $1.49, which makes it the cheapest gas station on hwy 6 from 1092 all the way to 288, matching the old Kroger store, and the new HEB in Sienna.

What did tick me off on the new Kroger is they had all these checkers standing around, but only had three lanes opened....the first lane I went to, the register wouldnt work, so the lady had to take me to self checkout to check me out...I thought they was bad management, especially for a new store.

Btw....i went to the old kroger yesterday at 1pm....it was empty.....

on to HEB....I went there on opening day on Weds the 21st, looking for newspapers...they only had the Houston Chronicle....their competetion, Kroger, had the NY Times, Wall Street Journal, Business Week Daily, and the USA Today....advantage Kroger....I picked up two Chronicles and one of each of the others from tuesday inaguration of President Obama.

the first thing I noticed were all of the Missouri City cops standing around in the HEB parking lot...I dont know what they were doing, but it had to be about 20 of them....Maybe there was some high level dignitary that was going to show up, or they were getting free donuts(lol), but I think they were there for traffic control. HEB had about 100 workers there that morning..they were very visable in their red HEB shirts, and their name tags too......they had all of their lanes open, and of course, the workers were all just in the aisle waiting for their next checkout to come. It appeared they had more "managers" standing around then workers....maybe they were area managers, vp's, etc, but they sure were taking a bunch of space up...but when you open a new store in Sienna, you have to show it off.

HEB had an abundance of samples....steak and shrimp, and even wine(at 700 am no less)....sushi...crab and shrimp dip, bread with olive oil(like you get at Carrabba's), free coffee samples, or for the first week, they were offering 20 ounce cups of their house brand for .99 cents, and a 24 ounce for $1.09(thats even less then my current favorite coffee house, Exxon on the run!)...the had their usual samples going on all around the store as well(samples of Apple toasted bread, enchillada's, chicken stir fry).

the new HEB in Sienna is way bigger then the Austin Parkway store, has more parking, but like Kroger, the parking is split a little bit....they have a gas station out front as well, and they were also $1.49, matching Kroger. HEB has a better seafood and deli section then Kroger has.....Their meat sections are about even, but HEB has more options for "right now food" with their in house selections of chopped beef, red beans and rice, jambalya, and enchilladas...

HEB has better frozen goods, especially their own store brands....I consistently purchase the stir fry, broccoli, corn on the cob and mixed veggies in bulk there....

I like both stores actually, but I like the HEB plus in Pearland a little more because of the space it offers, and the other shopping in the area(Academy, Pearland Mall across the street, etc)......I think HEB is more "show" than Kroger is, but sometimes you have to entertain the customers to make the sales.....HEB's prices are a little cheaper than Kroger on certain items, but with the double and triple coupons that Kroger offers, it evens up the competetion a little bit. That will be good for all of the 40,000 plus people who live off of Hwy 6 south, because these stores will compete against each other for customers.......

Last edited by v2four; 01-22-2009 at 10:33 AM..

Old 01-22-2009, 12:01 PM

7,840 posts, read 10,362,555 times
Great reviews. +1 for you.

Old 01-22-2009, 07:42 PM

103 posts, read 385,655 times
Stopped by the HEB today. It's a cross between the one in Sugar Land and Pearland. I actually prefer this size to the one in Pearland, which can be overwhelming. They had a vast selection of seafood! And it looked so fresh. And I tried some Spinach Tamales there today, OMG delish! My son hung out at the sushi area as he loves that stuff, but it looked just like the other HEBs' sushi section. My daughter noticed they didn't have the small carts Kroger has. I have to say Kroger impressed me a bit more, BUT the fact that the HEB is right in front of where I live wins my vote!

Old 01-24-2009, 08:09 PM

3 posts, read 9,788 times
I've been to both stores and they both are great! I'm so happy I don't have to drive to pearland any more to grocery shop. I am very happy they both opened!

Old 01-26-2009, 07:29 PM

759 posts, read 2,838,704 times
Large store...went there to check out the "exotic" foods...nothing too WOW. but the fish selection was incredible. and everything looked fresh...howr they managed to keep the fish smell away deserves a gold star. I just went the once and probably will not go that far again...from Telfair to Sienna is not a quick trip to the store. Plus parking was almost non-existent.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston