U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 01-22-2009, 02:43 PM
 
Location: Clear Lake Area
2,076 posts, read 3,818,426 times
Reputation: 1959

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mom2Feebs View Post
I say it's as churchy as you want it to be.
I'd say this is a pretty good assessment.

From my experience in the clear lake area for the past two years, here's what I've found:
Is Houston churchy? Yes, in the sense that a large percentage of the population goes to church on a regular basis (see all the megachurches). When we were looking at homes to buy, a large majority had numerous crosses and other Christian items on display which gave the impression that they make religion a major part of their lives.

Is Houston overly pushy about religion? Not in my experience. I've never been asked what religion I am or what church I goto. I believe my wife has been invited to church by a co-worker, but that's about it. My 1st grade daughter has been asked why she doesn't goto church by neighborhood friends, but kids that age are extra inquisitive about anything and everything.
As far as how open Houstonians are to other religions/nonbelievers, I don't know. Like I said, I've never had discussions about my religious views with any mainstream Christian Houstonians. The only people I happened to talk about my views with also happened to be skeptical about religion.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 01-22-2009, 02:50 PM
 
Location: Katy, TX
1,288 posts, read 4,398,132 times
Reputation: 626
Depends where you are from...it's not really "churchy" but it's a whole lot more churchy than Philadelphia where I'm from. For me, that's a good thing.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-22-2009, 05:33 PM
 
488 posts, read 1,261,449 times
Reputation: 151
Quote:
Originally Posted by Black Jack22 View Post
It's VERY churchy. Trust me.
You mean the people you know? I don't think Houston in general is really churchy....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-22-2009, 05:38 PM
 
488 posts, read 1,261,449 times
Reputation: 151
Odd...I responded to a post that is now gone.....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-22-2009, 06:18 PM
 
Location: Houston, TX
8,627 posts, read 16,279,027 times
Reputation: 5939
I've been asked what church I go to a lot. But doesn't bother me to be asked. After I answer - nobody tries to convert me to their church. They "might" say "oh we go here, they have a great program for kids - if you ever want to visit, let me know" and that is usually the end of it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-22-2009, 06:57 PM
 
Location: Hell's Kitchen, NYC
2,271 posts, read 4,417,379 times
Reputation: 1584
Quote:
Originally Posted by LostInHouston View Post
When we were looking at homes to buy, a large majority had numerous crosses and other Christian items on display which gave the impression that they make religion a major part of their lives.
I agree that it's as churchy as you make it out to be too. You can find whatever you want here in Houston. Yes, lots of people do go to church. Yes, there are megachurches in Houston, but I don't think many people in the city make a fuss out of it. A lot of people I know are simply "spiritual."

Let it be known though that crosses are a very Mexican aesthetic and not necessarily a religious inclination. I tried to get my boyfriend to explain it to me. (Yes, I am gay.) He didn't have an explanation. He has about 7 crosses (and needless to say, he's not religious...at all). He simply really likes crosses--the bigger the better. It was a little weird for me since I'm agnostic, but he found comfort in the Mexican-ness and after a while I didn't really notice them.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-22-2009, 08:00 PM
 
840 posts, read 1,814,329 times
Reputation: 1129
A cosmopolitan metro of almost 6 million is "churchy?"

No, not all in that sense. Lots of Mosques, Buddhist centers and what not...

This isn't a Bible Belt place. Sure there are some grandiose Christian temples but overall, Houston is too much of a bumping, on-the-go metro to be "churchy."
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-22-2009, 09:15 PM
 
54 posts, read 170,372 times
Reputation: 21
But I think that compared to the other biggest cities in the US, there is a much more "churchy" feel about Houston.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-22-2009, 10:01 PM
 
Location: Pittsburgh N. Hills / Houston-Clear Lake
8,159 posts, read 26,464,449 times
Reputation: 4411
Quote:
Originally Posted by theSUBlime View Post
I agree that it's as churchy as you make it out to be too. You can find whatever you want here in Houston. Yes, lots of people do go to church. Yes, there are megachurches in Houston, but I don't think many people in the city make a fuss out of it. A lot of people I know are simply "spiritual."

Let it be known though that crosses are a very Mexican aesthetic and not necessarily a religious inclination. I tried to get my boyfriend to explain it to me. (Yes, I am gay.) He didn't have an explanation. He has about 7 crosses (and needless to say, he's not religious...at all). He simply really likes crosses--the bigger the better. It was a little weird for me since I'm agnostic, but he found comfort in the Mexican-ness and after a while I didn't really notice them.

I always thought the Mexican aesthetic were the crucifixes, not crosses. Crosses with no Jesus figure nailed to it are a Protestant symbol, usually.

Also add the virgin Mary and the sacred heart of Jesus to that aesthetic. It's a Mexican thing, but more accurately a Catholic thing.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-22-2009, 10:08 PM
 
Location: Katy, TX
1,288 posts, read 4,398,132 times
Reputation: 626
Quote:
Originally Posted by tstone View Post
I always thought the Mexican aesthetic were the crucifixes, not crosses. Crosses with no Jesus figure nailed to it are a Protestant symbol, usually.

Also add the virgin Mary and the sacred heart of Jesus to that aesthetic. It's a Mexican thing, but more accurately a Catholic thing.
Yep, I think you're right about that one.

I've been asked by several neighbors what church we go to, but only after we made clear that we do go.

The mayor of Katy declared this week "Celebrate Life" week to go along with National Sanctity of Human Life Sunday...they are having little fundraisers for the local (Christian) crisis pregnancy center all over town.

I realize that's Katy and not technically Houston, but still...that would never EVER happen where I'm from.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:


Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2018, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top