U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-22-2009, 11:55 PM

3,107 posts, read 8,033,425 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by tstone View Post
I always thought the Mexican aesthetic were the crucifixes, not crosses. Crosses with no Jesus figure nailed to it are a Protestant symbol, usually.

Also add the virgin Mary and the sacred heart of Jesus to that aesthetic. It's a Mexican thing, but more accurately a Catholic thing.
Yes...that's pretty accurate - especially with regard to crosses vs crucifixes. The Virgin Mary and Sacred Heart of Jesus are quite important in Hispanic Catholic culture.

In response to the original question, in the 3 months that we've been here, I've not found Houston to be particularly "churchy" other than that there seem to be a lot of Christian churches (especially in The Woodlands...seems like there's a church every few blocks). However, no one has ever asked me what church I go to or what faith I practice. So far no one really seems to care as long as you're doing no harm.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-23-2009, 07:05 AM

2,271 posts, read 4,412,111 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tstone View Post
I always thought the Mexican aesthetic were the crucifixes, not crosses. Crosses with no Jesus figure nailed to it are a Protestant symbol, usually.

Also add the virgin Mary and the sacred heart of Jesus to that aesthetic. It's a Mexican thing, but more accurately a Catholic thing.
If we're getting technical, but for my boyfriend it's a Mexican symbol--very Mexican..but technically my boyfriend is not Catholic in the least. Cross, crucifix...it signifies the same thing. Plus I remember when my boyfriend brought his friends from Mexico, they thought the crosses were just as cool as the crucifixes.

Old 01-23-2009, 02:54 PM

933 posts, read 3,051,608 times
This is the churchiest place I have ever lived. (well...except for Utah. Now that's churchy)

Old 01-24-2009, 07:59 PM

3 posts, read 9,787 times
Houston has a lot of different kinds of churches, nobody cares if you go, however, I think a lot of people do go to church and that is why Houston is such a great place to live.

Old 01-24-2009, 08:32 PM

492 posts, read 850,461 times
I lived in Houston for 25 years, from Kemah to Pasadena to Bellaire to Hiway 6 to Spring and in Montrose. Of all the places I've lived in Houston as well as not in Houston, Houston is more non-'churchy' than any. To the contrary, it's usually... 'what's your beer?'

Old 01-24-2009, 08:44 PM

6,878 posts, read 17,817,169 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kandy View Post
This is the churchiest place I have ever lived. (well...except for Utah. Now that's churchy)

So, I'm guessing you've only lived here and Utah in your life, then?

Try Beaumont. Or Waco. Or Oklahoma. You want churchy? Hoo, lordy.

Old 01-24-2009, 09:05 PM

4,751 posts, read 12,046,812 times
Colorado Springs is the most "churchy" place I've ever lived. You couldn't meet your new neighbors for more than 5 minutes there before they asked which church you attend.

Old 01-24-2009, 10:07 PM

108 posts, read 376,187 times
LOL rofl no. I think this might be the weirdest thread ever.

I don't think i"ve even discussed religion...most people i know are athiest or hindu or some non-christian thing.

Old 01-25-2009, 02:16 AM

2,076 posts, read 3,813,691 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Topaz View Post
Colorado Springs is the most "churchy" place I've ever lived. You couldn't meet your new neighbors for more than 5 minutes there before they asked which church you attend.
quickly followed by "do you have any meth I can score?" and "how about a gay erotic massage?"

Old 01-25-2009, 06:35 AM

4,751 posts, read 12,046,812 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LostInHouston View Post
quickly followed by "do you have any meth I can score?" and "how about a gay erotic massage?"
Ha, that's funny and so true! I've lived in many places and Colorado Springs was my least favorite.

And I do go to church regularly, but when my family lived in Colorado Springs we routinely drove to Denver to attend services (1 hour and 20 minutes away) because after exploring the churches in Colorado Springs, we concluded that they weren't a good fit for our values. It was much easier to find a fit in Houston.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or