U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-25-2009, 07:24 AM

9,274 posts, read 22,784,179 times

Advertisements

If it's churchy in my area, people are certainly keeping it to themselves. And that's where it should be.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-25-2009, 07:42 PM

12,521 posts, read 22,352,812 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiger Beer View Post
Is Houston....'churchy'?

Meaning...is this a city similar to other southern cities where 'what church do you go to?' is a common question asked among strangers when they first meet?
Not in the least bit

There as many people in Houston that go to Islamic mosques or Buddhist temples as they do churches.

Houston is located right at the very edge of the "Bible Belt" which makes it less Conservative than most cities in Texas. Other cities like Dallas tend to me a lot more Southern Baptist & Conservative.

Last edited by Metro Matt; 01-25-2009 at 07:54 PM..

Old 01-27-2009, 07:17 AM

734 posts, read 864,063 times
Have you seen the sizes of churches in First Colony good god those things just keep getting bigger!

Old 01-28-2009, 10:25 AM

15,302 posts, read 16,854,240 times
While I can't comment on the actual city, Pearland is the first suburb I ever lived in where I get invited to Bible study groups and where the moms at the school bus stop had a prayer circle every day for a few weeks at the beginning of the school year. (They stopped eventually after they figured out that they were not going to recruit my granddaughter that way).

In the north, you just do NOT get this kind of thing even in the suburbs (in fact, it would have been considered nutty in the small town in New York where I grew up).

Dorothy

Old 01-28-2009, 10:42 AM

8,931 posts, read 11,330,600 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiger Beer View Post
Is Houston....'churchy'?

Meaning...is this a city similar to other southern cities where 'what church do you go to?' is a common question asked among strangers when they first meet?
In many regions and populations of Houston, yes, there is a good Christian environment. Mostly amongst the native Houstonians. Is that a good thing or a bad thing to you?

Yes it's a big city, but we are still in the South. Cities like Houston, Dallas, and Atlanta are far more religious and spiritual than places like New York or San Francisco.

On the other hand, I'm positive that while a majority of people in this city believe in God, a much smaller percentage will consider themselves Christians let alone attend a church.

And unlike most places up north, down here you won't be treated like a wacko for having a religion.

Last edited by Nairobi; 01-28-2009 at 10:51 AM..

Old 01-28-2009, 12:09 PM

8,157 posts, read 26,437,912 times
The Midwest has a good # of religious, gun-toting Evangelicals, much like the South. Many times you never hear about that because it's trendy to pick on the South, esp when you're (struggling to survive) in the West or NE.

Of course, the progressive way is to have an extreme disdain for this culture, and assume its people are backward and racist without having any first-hand knowledge. Understandable, ok -- the vocal ones are usually complete jerkoffs, today's Republican Party, and the TV media don't help the matter at all either.

However on the other side is: if a group of non-Christians performed a ritual (such as praying in a circle outside), it's considered diversity and celebrated as the greatest thing since gay. Don't get me started on certain whackos from the 'diverse,' 850 AD non-Christian side either. Let me just say if given no other choice, I'd rather deal with Christian idiots vs. these guys. There are nuts on both sides of the fence, in addition some on the non-believing side as well.

Fortunately I haven't had to deal with nuts of any type in my particular areas. Places like Katy or Pearland or any other now-suburbs that used to be little country towns a couple decades ago are likely to have an element the progressive types would absolutely abhor.

Old 01-28-2009, 12:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tstone View Post
The Midwest has a good # of religious, gun-toting Evangelicals, much like the South. Many times you never hear about that because it's trendy to pick on the South, esp when you're (struggling to survive) in the West or NE.

Of course, the progressive way is to have an extreme disdain for this culture, and assume its people are backward and racist without having any first-hand knowledge. Understandable, ok -- the vocal ones are usually complete jerkoffs, today's Republican Party, and the TV media don't help the matter at all either.

However on the other side is: if a group of non-Christians performed a ritual (such as praying in a circle outside), it's considered diversity and celebrated as the greatest thing since gay. Don't get me started on certain whackos from the 'diverse,' 850 AD non-Christian side either. Let me just say if given no other choice, I'd rather deal with Christian idiots vs. these guys. There are nuts on both sides of the fence, in addition some on the non-believing side as well.

Fortunately I haven't had to deal with nuts of any type in my particular areas. Places like Katy or Pearland or any other now-suburbs that used to be little country towns a couple decades ago are likely to have an element the progressive types would absolutely abhor.
I don't think that it's fair to call all vocal believers "jerkoffs". There's a big difference between those who try to judgmentally force their beliefs on others and those who are simply just trying to spread the word they believe in as their God instructs them to do. Christians preach love, and I've never personally met a Christian who didn't practice it.

Old 01-28-2009, 12:20 PM

8,157 posts, read 26,437,912 times
Sorry, by ''vocal'' I meant publicized... the extreme vocal you see when you turn on the TV sometimes. Westboro Baptist comes to mind.

Also included would be people who shove their religion down your throat in public when you didn't ask for it.

Old 01-28-2009, 12:22 PM

Nowadays, with the media, it seems more commonplace for a person with beliefs to be ridiculed than it is for a person without beliefs, and that's not fair.

Old 01-28-2009, 12:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tstone View Post
Sorry, by ''vocal'' I meant publicized... the extreme vocal you see when you turn on the TV sometimes. Westboro Baptist comes to mind.

Also included would be people who shove their religion down your throat in public when you didn't ask for it.
Give me an example. You mean like street evangelists?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or