U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-08-2009, 08:17 PM

470 posts, read 1,394,541 times

Advertisements

I drive by that house you are considering; it's nice. I think it should be safe from the landfill odor. However, you will hear alot of traffic from both Southern Trails Drive and Kingsley Drive (Co. Rd.48). Especially when the county begins to widen Kingsley right behind that house in the upcoming years (as I was told was planned).

There are some trailer homes and older, smaller, country homes not too far from that location just west across Kingsley Dr.. They are located just outside the city of Pearland and the folks living there know they are not subject to Pearland city ordinances; they have been known to fire off their guns at all hours of the day. The Pearland cops can't do anything about it. Just thought you should know that, since when it happens it usually riles up the folks living in the Enclave, and it can be heard even in my house in the Sage Meadows, 1/2 mile away.

I should add an update that at our HOA meeting in late August we were told that Imperial Homes has indeed gone bankrupt. So their recent startups in ST will go stagnant again. Today I noticed that Imperial has been removed from the names of builders on the main Southern Trails website maintained by the developers, so it must be confirmed. At the HOA meeting the rep from AWH told us they are shopping for a builder to replace Imperial and take over their lots in the 70' section (Oak Hollow).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-08-2009, 08:51 PM

20 posts, read 75,943 times
Thanks very much again Timwendy. We liked the landscaping and how the community spaced the homes and parks I'm just hoping we could close the house. I will keep you updated.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Timnwendy View Post
I drive by that house you are considering; it's nice. I think it should be safe from the landfill odor. However, you will hear alot of traffic from both Southern Trails Drive and Kingsley Drive (Co. Rd.48). Especially when the county begins to widen Kingsley right behind that house in the upcoming years (as I was told was planned).

There are some trailer homes and older, smaller, country homes not too far from that location just west across Kingsley Dr.. They are located just outside the city of Pearland and the folks living there know they are not subject to Pearland city ordinances; they have been known to fire off their guns at all hours of the day. The Pearland cops can't do anything about it. Just thought you should know that, since when it happens it usually riles up the folks living in the Enclave, and it can be heard even in my house in the Sage Meadows, 1/2 mile away.

I should add an update that at our HOA meeting in late August we were told that Imperial Homes has indeed gone bankrupt. So their recent startups in ST will go stagnant again. Today I noticed that Imperial has been removed from the names of builders on the main Southern Trails website maintained by the developers, so it must be confirmed. At the HOA meeting the rep from AWH told us they are shopping for a builder to replace Imperial and take over their lots in the 70' section (Oak Hollow).

Old 09-09-2009, 10:34 AM

17 posts, read 51,702 times
Hi all. I used to work in Southern Trails in sales for a builder. I no longer work for a home builder.
The Landfill should not be a concern. Timnwendy is right it is 2.1 miles away from Southern Trails drive. We have a SW wind almost all the time here from the gulf which would blow any stink the opposite way. It is a really nicely planned community with great ammenities.

Alvin ISD has a "country" rep which is diminishing. In my opinion it is just as good if not better because the schools are all new. (I am not sure which Middle School it is zoned)

The community has a much better layout than Shadow Creek Ranch and remember you buy the meighborhood more than the house!

Old 09-10-2009, 11:18 AM

3 posts, read 15,832 times
For the area in the 80's PSQFT is normal. Depending on the upgrades that can be good or bad. Woodfloors certainly helps. Although I would first ask if you have kids or dogs. If you do, BAD PLAN. I came from a house with wonderful woodfloors on the living floor, and wood floors do not standup to the pounding that you get from kids or small (10lb.) dogs. Laminates can, woods cannot (most woods). I would not expect the smell "wives tale" to be an issue. Saw a release saying that that dump cannot expand for another 10 something years. I am in the Enclave in a Newmark with high sensitivity to smells and I love it.

What you also need to consider is the price you are paying for the home. Make sure there is enough in the general area that price point. You never want to be at either end of a price point, most expensive, or the cheapist. It makes it difficult on resale. I hope that helps.

Old 09-12-2009, 02:40 AM

thank you for the replies we are on the process of negotiating this home I just hope and pray that we get it. If we do I will post it here we're excited to move to this community.

Old 09-12-2009, 02:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by arod236 View Post
For the area in the 80's PSQFT is normal. Depending on the upgrades that can be good or bad. Woodfloors certainly helps. Although I would first ask if you have kids or dogs. If you do, BAD PLAN. I came from a house with wonderful woodfloors on the living floor, and wood floors do not standup to the pounding that you get from kids or small (10lb.) dogs. Laminates can, woods cannot (most woods). I would not expect the smell "wives tale" to be an issue. Saw a release saying that that dump cannot expand for another 10 something years. I am in the Enclave in a Newmark with high sensitivity to smells and I love it.

What you also need to consider is the price you are paying for the home. Make sure there is enough in the general area that price point. You never want to be at either end of a price point, most expensive, or the cheapist. It makes it difficult on resale. I hope that helps.
thanks for the reply.. were a young family with 2 small kids but no pets hope we dont ruin the wood floors if ever we get this home.. thanks again

Old 09-12-2009, 02:59 AM

The community has a much better layout than Shadow Creek Ranch and remember you buy the meighborhood more than the house![/quote]

I very much agree.. thanks. Im wanting to live in this neighborhood because of the lovely community and close access to medical center and pearland town center.

Old 09-12-2009, 06:44 PM

we got the home..

Old 09-12-2009, 08:00 PM

18,696 posts, read 35,420,950 times
Congrats!!!!!!! Now you can stop pacing and worry'ing.
[URL="http://www.city-data.com/"][COLOR="SeaGreen"]CD Home page[/COLOR][/URL], [URL="http://www.city-data.com/forumtos.html"][COLOR="seagreen"]TOS (Terms of Service)[/COLOR][/URL], [URL="http://www.city-data.com/forum/faq/107997-search-function-using-search-function.html"][COLOR="SeaGreen"]How to Search,[/COLOR][/URL] [URL="http://www.city-data.com/forum/faq/"][COLOR="SeaGreen"]FAQ's[/COLOR][/URL], [URL="http://www.city-data.com/forum/faq/70589-guide-guide-city-data-posting.html"][COLOR="SeaGreen"]Guide[/COLOR][/URL]
[URL="http://www.city-data.com/forum/wyoming/"]Wyoming[/URL], [URL="http://www.city-data.com/forum/montana/"]Montana[/URL], [URL="http://www.city-data.com/forum/north-dakota/"]North Dakota[/URL], [URL="http://www.city-data.com/forum/south-dakota/"]South Dakota[/URL], [URL="http://www.city-data.com/forum/guns-hunting/"]Guns and Hunting[/URL]

Old 09-12-2009, 11:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ElkHunter View Post
Congrats!!!!!!! Now you can stop pacing and worry'ing.
thanks.. pacing and worrying is now replaced by excitement and anticipation for work overtime
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or