U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
 
 
Old 02-20-2013, 05:32 PM
 
28 posts, read 70,186 times
Reputation: 40

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patricia Carpenter View Post
I so appreciated reading all the valuable information with regard to builders and the surroundings of Southern Trails. For someone such as myself who has fallen in love with this beautiful area, you have answered a lot of questions and put some issues to rest. Thanks for taking the time to share.

Patricia

We are in Sedona Lakes - on the other side of the highway and we love it and don't have to worry about the landfill possible expansion. We have a Fb page and the community is great and also ethically diverse. Come check it out on the other side of the highway!
Quick reply to this message

 
Old 02-20-2013, 08:24 PM
 
15,290 posts, read 16,839,007 times
Reputation: 15019
Quote:
Originally Posted by alamakota View Post
exactly! For example, there is a brand new school that opened in Rodeo Palms (under Alvin ISD) my family member is a teach there - I'd highly recommend the district and wouldn't worry too much that it's not pearland.
Unfortunately, schools are uneven in Alvin ISD too. And if you have a child who needs special ed, I don't recommend the elementary schools. I have been a part of the Autism Support group for Pearland and Alvin and the stories I hear are not good ones for either, but I will say we are having a good experience with Massey Ranch in Pearland for our autistic 8 year old grandson.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-19-2014, 04:02 PM
 
1 posts, read 1,120 times
Reputation: 10
Can someone please tell me how long the commute is from Southern Trails to the Medical Center? I know they have been building a lot in that subdivision, so wasn't sure if it was overly congested regarding traffic. Also, any updated opinions on the area would be greatly appreciated.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-20-2014, 04:47 AM
Status: "Pearlander" (set 6 days ago)
 
Location: Pearland (Southern Trails)
470 posts, read 1,394,541 times
Reputation: 365
Quote:
Originally Posted by yellowbug1 View Post
Can someone please tell me how long the commute is from Southern Trails to the Medical Center? I know they have been building a lot in that subdivision, so wasn't sure if it was overly congested regarding traffic. Also, any updated opinions on the area would be greatly appreciated.
It all depends when you make the commute. I am an early bird and pull out of my garage in Southern Trails at 5am. I arrive at my parking garage in the Med Center between 18-20 minutes later.

My wife works 2nd shift at a hospital in the med center. She leaves our house at 1:45pm and pulls in to her parking garage there about 25 minutes later.

The big problems with the commute occur between 6:30-8:30am. That's the peak time, when it can be packed. Many people here at City-data say that you need to get on Hwy 288 headed north no later than 6:15am in order to have a reasonable commute time to the Med Center. That seems accurate based on my observations.

Note that an alternate commute route to the Med Center is up Almeda Rd. It's very easy to get on Almeda from Southern Trails. Yes, Almeda has stop lights, but it can still be faster than bumper-to-bumper traffic on 288.

Southern Trails is still booming. Trendmaker came back, and Village Builders is joining the builders there (Perry and Ashton Woods). There are new road improvements coming to help the subdivision. By the end of the summer, Magnolia Crossing will open up to give another route between Southern Trails Dr. and Kirby. Also, a project to widen Kingsley Dr. (Co. Rd 48) from Broadway southward is supposed to begin later this year.

A brand new elementary school (Duke) located on Co. Rd. 59 will open this year for the kids in Southern Trails. Work has begun on the new ShadowCreek High School, between Southern Trails and the Pearland Towncenter.

I have lived in ST since 2008 and still enjoy it. You can pm me if you have more questions.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-20-2014, 09:19 AM
 
26 posts, read 33,884 times
Reputation: 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by yellowbug1 View Post
Can someone please tell me how long the commute is from Southern Trails to the Medical Center? I know they have been building a lot in that subdivision, so wasn't sure if it was overly congested regarding traffic. Also, any updated opinions on the area would be greatly appreciated.
I commute from ST to near IAH & my commute from abt 7am is just under an hour. If your work hours are flexible, you can play trial & error on different time slots & see which one works for you. Nonetheless, it should be relatively tolerable.

As far as the community, TimnWendy has provided ample info. We have been living here for the last six months and it's a great community. Good luck!
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-20-2014, 05:43 PM
 
1 posts, read 1,065 times
Reputation: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Timnwendy View Post
It all depends when you make the commute. I am an early bird and pull out of my garage in Southern Trails at 5am. I arrive at my parking garage in the Med Center between 18-20 minutes later.

My wife works 2nd shift at a hospital in the med center. She leaves our house at 1:45pm and pulls in to her parking garage there about 25 minutes later.

The big problems with the commute occur between 6:30-8:30am. That's the peak time, when it can be packed. Many people here at City-data say that you need to get on Hwy 288 headed north no later than 6:15am in order to have a reasonable commute time to the Med Center. That seems accurate based on my observations.

Note that an alternate commute route to the Med Center is up Almeda Rd. It's very easy to get on Almeda from Southern Trails. Yes, Almeda has stop lights, but it can still be faster than bumper-to-bumper traffic on 288.

Southern Trails is still booming. Trendmaker came back, and Village Builders is joining the builders there (Perry and Ashton Woods). There are new road improvements coming to help the subdivision. By the end of the summer, Magnolia Crossing will open up to give another route between Southern Trails Dr. and Kirby. Also, a project to widen Kingsley Dr. (Co. Rd 48) from Broadway southward is supposed to begin later this year.

A brand new elementary school (Duke) located on Co. Rd. 59 will open this year for the kids in Southern Trails. Work has begun on the new ShadowCreek High School, between Southern Trails and the Pearland Towncenter.

I have lived in ST since 2008 and still enjoy it. You can pm me if you have more questions.
I'm looking ST as well, I have been following this thread and enjoy reading your posts, I have a question about the school bus: do you see the school bus picking up student in ST? I'm asking this question because it seems that Alvin District does not provide school bus within 2 miles, if this is true, how do you work couples handle this issue? is there after school programs available around?
Thank you so much for your time!
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-21-2014, 06:55 AM
Status: "Pearlander" (set 6 days ago)
 
Location: Pearland (Southern Trails)
470 posts, read 1,394,541 times
Reputation: 365
Quote:
Originally Posted by yajunr View Post
I'm looking ST as well, I have been following this thread and enjoy reading your posts, I have a question about the school bus: do you see the school bus picking up student in ST? I'm asking this question because it seems that Alvin District does not provide school bus within 2 miles, if this is true, how do you work couples handle this issue? is there after school programs available around?
Thank you so much for your time!
I do not have school age kids but I think I can answer your questions. Yes, I see AISD school buses picking up and dropping off kids in Southern Trails. For the schools that are very close, like York Elementary and the (new) Duke Elementary, parents do shuttle their children. This is why everyone is looking forward to Magnolia Crossing opening up, since it will connect to Kirby Dr., and this will give us a new short cut to Duke Elementary.

There are after-school programs around. My neighbors are always discussing the different choices available on our Yahoo group for Southern Trails residents.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-22-2014, 07:31 AM
 
Location: Pearland, TX
3,333 posts, read 7,794,606 times
Reputation: 2309
I live on the other side of 518 from Timnwendy in Shadow Creek. What they say is true. It depends upon what time you leave for the Medical Center. My neighbor works there and never gets on 288. She leaves about 6:45 and takes Almeda (521). She says it's never more than 30 minutes.

To Timnwendy:

We've lived here 5 years now and once we get an auto parts store on our side, we'll never go on the East side of 288!. We've begun going down Hwy 6 for Home Depot, Target and Walmart (the new one that's clean). Also go to the $14 car wash just past Sienna. Life is good!

Ronnie
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-23-2014, 06:05 AM
 
Location: Pearland
65 posts, read 87,285 times
Reputation: 60
Also in shadow creek, but my husband leaves at 8:00ish going up 521 to one of the med center parking lots. It takes him 30-40 minutes from our door to the parking lot.

I'm definitely going to have to check out the stores HoustonRonnie suggested. I hate going on the other side of 288 on the weekend.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-23-2014, 06:41 AM
Status: "Pearlander" (set 6 days ago)
 
Location: Pearland (Southern Trails)
470 posts, read 1,394,541 times
Reputation: 365
I am attaching a map of Southern Trails to this post. It shows the complete build-out (still a few years away). It is taken from the MUD34 map. Sections 13 and 14 have home sites available as of this posting date, but sections 15, 16, & 17 are still undeveloped (awaiting streets and other infrastructure). This should give you an idea of what it will be like when finished.
Attached Thumbnails
Southern Trails Community in Pearland-southern_trails_from_mud34_plat.jpg  
Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


 
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2018, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top