U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-23-2009, 09:31 AM

447 posts, read 1,570,980 times

Advertisements

Katy now has the Park and Ride at Grand Parkway and I-10. It goes straight to downtown. My husband takes it daily. Takes about 45 min. Cost 4.50 each way. A lot of companies (his does) will help offset the cost. It runs every 15 min. during peak times.

And I would pick Katy over all the other areas (well, I do live in Katy
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-23-2009, 09:47 AM

3,107 posts, read 8,030,631 times
I don't really know the other areas you've listed but we currently rent in The Woodlands. While it's taken a bit for me to get acclimated, I will say that for the needs of a young family, everything is here - great pediatricians to choose from, tons of activities for mommy/baby/toddlers/pre-schoolers, pharmacies and grocery stores galore. My latest beef (lol) is that it's just further from our family than we'd ideally like to be.

IF you choose TW (not sure if you're planning to buy right away but I would try to rent first since you really don't know the lay of the land and what looks good on paper or on-line doesn't necessarily translate into the perfect area for you & your family), be sure to move into a fairly newer part of the area. We live in a neighborhood where most of the residents are empty-nesters & retirees - it's not a particularly lively neighborhood. Our friends who moved to TW are renting in a newer community here where there are a lot of kids of all ages and there's always something to do for their children.

BTW - get your fill of Kopp's!

Old 01-23-2009, 09:56 AM

11 posts, read 43,177 times
Thank you all for the great responses. Getting unbiased feedback from you all has been a great asset in our decision making. Please feel free to keep the responses flowing. Thank you!

Old 01-23-2009, 01:34 PM

9,605 posts, read 14,273,941 times
Sorry, but if you are coming from Milwaukee, there is no part of Houston that is going to feel like you never left home. It is like comparing apples to, well, definitely not apples.

Old 01-24-2009, 08:54 PM

126 posts, read 323,441 times
I've lived in Cypress and now the Memorial area. The commute from Cypress downtown is pretty bad. It is roughly 30-35 miles, so you're looking at 45 minutes best case and 1+ hours each way at rush hour... there always seems to be some accident on 290. My commute to the Galleria area and downtown was the primary reason we moved closer in. From Katy you take I10, and it has recently been expanded in one of the nations largest roadway projects. While it is still a great distance from downtown, the traffic is currently much lighter than 290. I'm a little closer than Katy, but I take I10 to downtown a couple of times a week and have been very happy with the traffic flow.

As for value, Katy is a little more expensive than Cypress for the same house. In general, Katy is slightly more 'mature' regarding shopping and restaurants. Both have great schools, but don't assume that all in Katy ISD or Cy-Fair ISD are good. They both have their share of underperforming schools.

I know a lot of people who work downtown and live on the North and South sides, but I don't really have any personal experience with the commute, lifestyles, or home values.

Good luck! Houston is a great place to work, live, and raise a family.

Old 01-25-2009, 12:58 PM

77 posts, read 119,146 times
We recently moved from Kingwood into town because hubby was commuting to the Galleria, which was rough. Had he been downtown we would have certainly stayed. Downtown really is straight shot from KW and if you don't have to use your car for business during the day, the Metro Park & Ride is great! Almost all the men on our street did the park and ride downtown.

KW is lovely and has lots of housing options for your price range. Schools are good and there are so many activities for SAHM's and young children (I know since i have a 3 and 5 year old). Lots of moms' groups, parks, pre-school and MDO options. Plus, KW is pretty self-contained but Humble and Atascocita are close for other shopping. Woodlands is lovely too but you'll pay much more for the same house there over KW. Plus the traffic there is much worse just getting around there. Kingwood really gives you a "small town" feeling.

As for Cypress and Katy, commutes would be much worse heading to downtown. You've got to go around the loop just to get downtown. And as for the Woodlands, 45 is always backed up, at least down here near the loop. Yes, you can take the Hardy toll road but that will get pricey!

So anyway, as you can tell my vote is Kingwood. At least go out and take a look around w/ a realtor familiar with the area before you make any final decisions. Good luck on your move!

Old 02-27-2009, 07:57 PM
J3N

1 posts, read 1,124 times
We are also moving from Wisconsin to The Woodlands. Good luck and maybe we'll cross paths!

Old 02-27-2009, 08:25 PM

3,467 posts, read 6,813,070 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pack Attack View Post
Please rate these communities 1-5 with 1 being the best and 5 being the worst in terms of the following based on the below information:

My family of three is moving from Wisconsin to Houston.
I work smack downtown Houston on McKinney.
We're looking to purchase a home in the $175,000-$235,000 range.
I refuse to pay expensive tolls, but public transportation like park and rides are an option.
Low crime and family-first culture are appealing to us.

Example to show the format for responses:
Cypress:2
Katy:1
Kingwood:5
Tomball:4
Woodlands:3

Public Schools:
Cypress:
Katy:
Kingwood:
Tomball:
Woodlands:

Commute to downtown Houston not using tollroads:
Cypress:
Katy:
Kingwood:
Tomball:
Woodlands:

Likelyhood for home appreciation within 10 years:
Cypress:
Katy:
Kingwood:
Tomball:
Woodlands:

Best overall home values, all factors considered:
Cypress:
Katy:
Kingwood:
Tomball:
Woodlands:

and the most important
Community that will make my stay-at-home wife and our little growing family feel like we never left family and home:
Cypress:
Katy:
Kingwood:
Tomball:
Woodlands:

Please also feel free to throw in any detailed comments if you're feeling ambitious. Thank you in advance!
Not going to answer the school question, because I think it's a wash.

Commute to downtown Houston not using tollroads:
Cypress: 4
Katy: 2
Kingwood: 1
Tomball: 5
Woodlands: 3

Likelyhood for home appreciation within 10 years:
Katy: 1
Kingwood: 3
Woodlands: 2

Best overall home values, all factors considered:
Woodlands: 1

and the most important
Community that will make my stay-at-home wife and our little growing family feel like we never left family and home:
Woodlands: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Josci View Post
How did you pick these communities?

Kingwood and the Woodlands are very far North and your commute will be over an hour!(
I'm just going to assume he wants the best lilly white, low crime, SAHM area in Houston (nothing wrong with that, just cutting through the chase), then my vote would be The Woodlands.

Last edited by usc619; 02-27-2009 at 08:39 PM..

Old 02-28-2009, 12:12 PM

17,032 posts, read 26,019,755 times
Kingwood would be the best I think, many professionals live there and commute downtown...which can be a pain. Woodlands is another 15 min north on 45. Katy isnt bad Ive heard but another tough commute. Both have park and rides that are faster.

Did you look at Pearland?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or