U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-24-2009, 08:22 PM

10 posts, read 14,928 times

Advertisements

rent for around 700-750 a month
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-26-2009, 02:09 AM

13,695 posts, read 13,564,168 times
Probably the best way to find rented accommodation is the HAR site. I've set it up to look at properties across the whole of Houston for up to $750 per month. You can play around with it as you want. Hang on- it defaults, so you need to put in your settings. You need Residential Lease.

http://www.har.com/cs_body2.cfm

Regarding dogs, there are strict leash laws in Houston which can be a pain, though so can be snakes, so be careful of your dog in vulnerable areas.

There was only one 'Bark Park' (I kid you not) when I was in Houston, at the George Bush Park. I think there are more now.

Found it-

The Houston Dog Park Association

If it's of any solace, I moved to Houston with a family including a cat and a dog from rural England and enjoyed the experience.

Good luck.

Old 01-26-2009, 06:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jezer View Post
Probably the best way to find rented accommodation is the HAR site. I've set it up to look at properties across the whole of Houston for up to $750 per month. You can play around with it as you want. Hang on- it defaults, so you need to put in your settings. You need Residential Lease.

Home Finder - Search for Houston Homes, Realtors, and Real Estate Tools - HAR.com

Regarding dogs, there are strict leash laws in Houston which can be a pain, though so can be snakes, so be careful of your dog in vulnerable areas.

There was only one 'Bark Park' (I kid you not) when I was in Houston, at the George Bush Park. I think there are more now.

Found it-

The Houston Dog Park Association

If it's of any solace, I moved to Houston with a family including a cat and a dog from rural England and enjoyed the experience.

Good luck.
Thank you very much for the websites.

Old 01-26-2009, 06:07 AM

I was hoping people could tell me about the city. Like what type of people live in certain sections of the city. We are white/puertorican/colombian. Also i was wondering if anyone could or would tell me where the warehouse and manufacturing jobs are located in houston? As right now we do not have a car so we have not been able to travel out there yet. Getting a car in 3 weeks with taxes so if anyone could let us know the right places to look we won't be driving around houston like chickens with our heads cut of lol. Also is there anything to do in houston that would keep little kids entertained? One more thing i know there is vionlence in every city (as I am from the Boston MA area originally) but some people here tell me not to stay stopped at a stop sign to long or someone will run up on our car. They all said not to drive or walk at night for fear of getting mugged or car jacked. Is this true? Thank You

Old 01-26-2009, 07:47 AM

Location: from houstoner to bostoner to new yorker to new jerseyite ;)
4,085 posts, read 11,219,593 times
Houston is huge. Most people live in the suburbs here, but there's about half a million inside the loop, which is the main part of the city. So first you need to decide if you want to live closer to the action or away from it. There are communities that can give you the best of both worlds, but your budget and family size may be limiting you there. You might try looking for an inexpensive apartment or rental house in Eastwood east of downtown, or Garden Oaks and Oak Forest, and other nearby neighborhoods to the north. There aren't a lot of Puerto Ricans and Colombians here relative to the East Coast, but there are some and their numbers seem to be growing. There's not much racial tension. For the most part you can live wherever you want. As for jobs, I don't know, they seem to be scattered throughout the city. Lots of industry on the east side in general.

Old 01-26-2009, 09:31 AM

2,582 posts, read 7,673,261 times
One of the ways Houston is going to be different than a lot of older east coast cities is our lack of zoning. So there isn't one area that all the warehouse facilities are concentrated in. They are scattered. That is not to say there aren't concentrations, there are. There are distribution centers out by Intercontinental Airport I think, there is a large block by the ship channel of course, as well as a number east of downtown and just west of Hobby airport.

While they are located all over, the lion's share will probably be east.

Houston is also very mixed. It's not a city where typically just this type of people live here, and another type live there.

Any of the suburbs will offer you the good schools and low crime with similar shopping amenities, similar housing styles and quality of life. If you move closer in it can vary a lot depending upon where you go. Broad generalizations do not work as things can change in the distance of a block or two.

Old 01-26-2009, 09:48 AM

1,129 posts, read 2,935,530 times
I've met zilch Puerto Ricans in Houston but many Columbians. I work with some now and I had a neighbor before I moved that all might provide you good information on such things. Private email me and I'll provide more details how to contact them. The biggest Hispanic community now has gravited from the near downtown East End (mostly multi-gen in US Mexican) to Southwest Houston just south of the Bellaire Blvd ChinaTown area. This area is also more "other" Spanish speakers from central, south America and the Caribbean. An epicenter, for example, is the big dance clubs at corner of Gessner @ SW Freeway (both sides). There's also a big restaurant owned by Columbians from Cartegna behind Sharpstown Mall (Clarewood @ SW Freeway) where you could hook up with lots of fellow Columbianos. Good comida de marisca tambien! (seafood)

Old 01-26-2009, 09:58 PM

18,207 posts, read 25,896,902 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bamba_boy View Post
I've met zilch Puerto Ricans in Houston but many Columbians. I work with some now and I had a neighbor before I moved that all might provide you good information on such things. Private email me and I'll provide more details how to contact them. The biggest Hispanic community now has gravited from the near downtown East End (mostly multi-gen in US Mexican) to Southwest Houston just south of the Bellaire Blvd ChinaTown area. This area is also more "other" Spanish speakers from central, south America and the Caribbean. An epicenter, for example, is the big dance clubs at corner of Gessner @ SW Freeway (both sides). There's also a big restaurant owned by Columbians from Cartegna behind Sharpstown Mall (Clarewood @ SW Freeway) where you could hook up with lots of fellow Columbianos. Good comida de marisca tambien! (seafood)
It seems like Houston is becoming the new hot city for Columbians all of a sudden. I know people have told me that Columbians are now starting to become a force down there.

Old 01-27-2009, 05:44 AM

Location: from houstoner to bostoner to new yorker to new jerseyite ;)
4,085 posts, read 11,219,593 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spade View Post
It seems like Houston is becoming the new hot city for Columbians all of a sudden. I know people have told me that Columbians are now starting to become a force down there.
Puerto Ricans, too. I have a few friends. I met them a few years ago going salsa dancing at Jones Plaza. They're not a force yet, but there are enough here now to merit a festival, which would have been unheard of just a few years ago. 2008 Puerto Rican & Cuban Festival The nexus for them does seem to be the SW side.

Old 01-27-2009, 07:32 AM

Thank you guys so much for all the websites and info I love learning new things about houston! i will be moving there in about 4-5 months and I can't wait sounds like a lot of fun and very cultural. Does anyone have any pics they can share with me? I'de love to see them and it would be appreciated. so the crime is not as bad as everyone around here told me? But then again Center TX is real country and they have never lived in the city. I almost considered moving to Dallas. but my heart is with houston and thats where we are going to go. see you guys in a few months lol.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or