U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 03-11-2007, 08:10 PM

42 posts, read 133,635 times

Advertisements

If there is anyone that is moving or thinking of moving to Southern California and have questions, I would be happy to help while I'm still here. I'm a native Southern Californian, born and raised in the desert. (120f) So if you have any questions shoot.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-11-2007, 09:26 PM

41 posts, read 181,597 times
we are moving from the O.C. to Katy... which moving Co. did you choose? what is the cost? Did you tow your car and how much would it be? thanks!

Old 03-11-2007, 11:08 PM

Here are some of the companies

www.worldmovingservices.com (broken link)
nationwidereloservices.com
www.usaexpressmoving.com
www.amexmovers.com
http://www.mybqm.com
http://www.megavanlines.com
www.MovingCost.com

An example of 1 quote from Vista to Katy:
www.powerpointmovers.com Please feel free to call me at 1-888-350-2081
Delivery: Exclusive Door to door upon request

Delivery: Allow 3-5 days for delivery:

In a 24 high cube truck (capacity of 10,000 lbs / 1,500 cuft- exclusively yours) and not with other households.

Included: All taxes, mileage, fuel and any tolls. Full moving service: Loading, unloading and transportation as well as disassembly/reassembly of furniture.

Included: Pad wrapping of furniture

Included: Free use of wardrobe boxes. Some restrictions apply.

Not included: Special wrapping /packing materials if necessary

**Please request our packing/wrapping materials price list.

Included: Basic valuation coverage of $0.60 per pound per item

TOTAL MOVE COST: $4995

For Automobile movers:
AA-Automovers.com 877-744-7489 ext 333
www.moveautotransport.com
www.m3carriers.com (broken link).
www.angelstransport.com

We are waiting to finish jobs that we have scheduled at Camp Pendleton before we can ship our cleaning equipment. We are also trying to sell as much as possible. I just sold my red with black top mustang convertable.
We will ship all our household goods and will only take what will fit in our Ford Excursion. We will be taking a poodle and a Double Yellow headed Amazon parrot.
We were going to fly and have the Excursion moved by one of the transporters for about $695.00, but we decided to take the scenic route instead. I only drive from sunrise to sunset and anything pass that will only leave you in between towns. There is plenty of beach between San Diego and Katy but no water! We checked and there are hotels or motels that will take pets.
We have made lots of friends online so we hope to meet them when we get to Katy.
I hope that the information will help you to get an Idea of what to expect. Any other questions don't hessitate to ask. My regards to Orange County, which we will be visiting soon when we go to Aneheim to see Mickey Mouse before we leave California.

Old 03-12-2007, 12:11 AM

61 posts, read 183,799 times
we used angles moving transport they transported our CRV for $800 and we only had boxes to move (we ditched our furniture) we used box brothers and it cost us $600
here are the links
http://www.angelstransport.com
http://www.boxbros.com

Where in katy are you moving to ? we are going to move to katy too. we are just trying to decide which community to move into.

Old 03-12-2007, 01:30 AM

Cool To Movingaroundok

Lol! What part of Katy? My wife is the one that will be deciding. But I laugh, because if you would only know how many times she has fallen in love with a new house that she has seen online. She goes to school full time, runs a business, does 8-6 hours of homework and still has time to see new listings, I think she knows every realtor's web page in Houston.
The only thing concrete is that she has looked at the Katy school district and has not decided which high school our 16 year old daughter will attend. Also which elementary school for our soon-to-be 1st grader. Now do we move closer to the best elementary and let the high schooler be further away from school? Do we move in the center of both? Do we disregard the distance and get the house that we want?
We are looking for a 4-5 bedroom with a pool and large yard. We promised our 5 year old a swing set with a playhouse on top and a twisting slide. And my past time is growing plants. I want extra room to plant my orange, lemon, avacado, guava, banana and persimon trees. Room for grapes, and flowers. But most of the houses with pools, don't have much room left over. Usually the fence ends at less than 5 feet from the pool.
We thought about getting a home in the 100's. Then between $150 to $200.
Then $250 to what ever. There are so many beautiful homes that I will be glad when she says, "Honey this is going to be our new home."
But then, knowing her, we will probably rent or lease for a year until she is definite about the area she wants to live in. I'm in no hurry. I got my long play records to listen to. Especially the song that says, "Time is on my side, yes it is."

Old 03-12-2007, 04:36 PM

12 posts, read 42,789 times
Hi Papermaker4u,

My husband and I are also considering a move to Katy from LA. We think we might do better over there. Here in LA I have to work to make our monthly mortgage but in Texas I don't think that will be the case because we will be able to pay the house cash with the equity we make on our house. I have two kids and being able to stay home with them is a big deal for me but sometimes I have second thoughts. I have lived in LA all my life and I am afraid of the change. From what I read on your threads you have a business here in CA. If you don't mind me asking why are you moving to Texas? Maybe you know something I don't that would make it easier for me and my family if we do decide to go.

Old 03-14-2007, 11:52 AM

Default Hi BBPV

Hi BBPV, I watched the Miss Universe one day, and fell in love with the beautiful women from Venezuela. I said to myself, "I got to get me one of those, so I did. I married one. LOL My wife is from Caracas, Venezuela and
She fell in love with San Diego. She said that was the closes she could get to the weather from Caracas. She misses her family, whom are still back there. It is very expensive for 4 to fly from San Diego to Caracas or from LAX to Caracas. Almost $5,000.00 round trip. So she brought up that she had been surfing on the web and found that Houston has direct flights to Caracas and the trip is shorter. From the west coast it takes about 7-8 hours or more depending on the connections.
Next as a good surfer, she looked at the housing and since then she has fallen in love with about 10 homes. She started with a 1st time buyer's dream of $100,000 then for $993.00 a month we could go to a $150,000 home and now we are looking at $250 - $260 homes and according to the calculator payments would be approx $1375.00 a month and the home would be ours. We are currently renting a 2brm, 2bath for $1650.00.
I love San Diego, but where ever my queen wants to go, I will follow. You know the saying, "Blow in my ear and I will follow you anywhere!" I have attached a picture of our wedding at the beach of Camp Pendleton Marine Base, CA.

And as for you case, you will be in an advantage because of your equity. My brother in law lived in Northridge, CA. He sold his 5 bed home with pool and guest house and moved to Florida. He bought 2 new homes with pools. He lives in one and rents the other.

Texan were good to me when I was stationed in Wichita Falls, TX. When in Rome you do as the Romans do, When in Texas, you become a Texan. I learned to two-step, chew gum, and talk without biting my tongue.

And as for what do I know that you don't know? I know that I am married to a beautiful woman and have 2 beautiful daughters. By the way my wife is younger than me. (she was 1 yr old when I graduated from High School) LOL
They make me feel younger and I give them all I got. God has given me another opportunity and reason to live for many more years.
Best regards,
papermaker4u

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbpv View Post
Hi Papermaker4u,

My husband and I are also considering a move to Katy from LA. We think we might do better over there. Here in LA I have to work to make our monthly mortgage but in Texas I don't think that will be the case because we will be able to pay the house cash with the equity we make on our house. I have two kids and being able to stay home with them is a big deal for me but sometimes I have second thoughts. I have lived in LA all my life and I am afraid of the change. From what I read on your threads you have a business here in CA. If you don't mind me asking why are you moving to Texas? Maybe you know something I don't that would make it easier for me and my family if we do decide to go.
Attached Thumbnails
Moving from San Diego To Katy-wedding-pictures-066.jpg  

Last edited by Midnitecruzer; 03-14-2007 at 12:01 PM..

Old 03-14-2007, 05:15 PM

12 posts, read 42,789 times
Thank you papermaker4u for replying to my thread and for sharing your picture.

Old 03-17-2007, 08:08 PM

2,703 posts, read 392,576 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by papermaker4u View Post
Lol! What part of Katy? My wife is the one that will be deciding. But I laugh, because if you would only know how many times she has fallen in love with a new house that she has seen online. She goes to school full time, runs a business, does 8-6 hours of homework and still has time to see new listings, I think she knows every realtor's web page in Houston.
The only thing concrete is that she has looked at the Katy school district and has not decided which high school our 16 year old daughter will attend. Also which elementary school for our soon-to-be 1st grader. Now do we move closer to the best elementary and let the high schooler be further away from school? Do we move in the center of both? Do we disregard the distance and get the house that we want?
We are looking for a 4-5 bedroom with a pool and large yard. We promised our 5 year old a swing set with a playhouse on top and a twisting slide. And my past time is growing plants. I want extra room to plant my orange, lemon, avacado, guava, banana and persimon trees. Room for grapes, and flowers. But most of the houses with pools, don't have much room left over. Usually the fence ends at less than 5 feet from the pool.
We thought about getting a home in the 100's. Then between $150 to $200.
Then $250 to what ever. There are so many beautiful homes that I will be glad when she says, "Honey this is going to be our new home."
But then, knowing her, we will probably rent or lease for a year until she is definite about the area she wants to live in. I'm in no hurry. I got my long play records to listen to. Especially the song that says, "Time is on my side, yes it is."
Hey,

I suggest you try and get your daughter into Seven Lakes High School. It is the best high school in Katy as far as scores go, and just opened two years ago. Some communities you should check out are Grand Lakes in Katy, Seven Meadows, and Westheimer Lakes North. Cinco Ranch is another good school just three to four miles north of Seven Lakes, but it is overcrowded. About 3,300 kids go there. The district is actually rezoning some of the neighborhoods to Seven Lakes.

If you want something more established with tall oak trees, try Nottingham Country, Green Trails, or one of the Kelliwood developments. Most of them are zoned to Taylor High School (another great Katy school). Parts of Kelliwood are zoned to Cinco Ranch, too.

I hopes this helps.

Old 03-18-2007, 06:17 PM

Default Thanks for the info Guerilla

Thank you kindly for the info. I will look into all the areas you suggested. And to all the other info. I have received from others also.
Thanks for the info
papermaker4u

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guerilla View Post
Hey,

I suggest you try and get your daughter into Seven Lakes High School. It is the best high school in Katy as far as scores go, and just opened two years ago. Some communities you should check out are Grand Lakes in Katy, Seven Meadows, and Westheimer Lakes North. Cinco Ranch is another good school just three to four miles north of Seven Lakes, but it is overcrowded. About 3,300 kids go there. The district is actually rezoning some of the neighborhoods to Seven Lakes.

If you want something more established with tall oak trees, try Nottingham Country, Green Trails, or one of the Kelliwood developments. Most of them are zoned to Taylor High School (another great Katy school). Parts of Kelliwood are zoned to Cinco Ranch, too.

I hopes this helps.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston