Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-29-2009, 05:42 PM

24 posts, read 174,470 times

Advertisements

I've lived in Nashville for the past 12 years, and have honestly never liked it much. I grew up in Tyler and my family relocated here in the mid 90s and don't seem to be interested in going back to Texas. So, I'd be moving on my own and would know no one there. Last summer I spent a few weeks in Austin and loved it. I even found an apartment in Cedar Park and started planning to move without a job. However, due to difficulty I've had finding a job in Nashville, I'm concerned that Austin would be similar since it isn't much larger. I've haven't been to Houston since visiting the Space Center as a child, but am planning to visit for at least a week in February.

I'm a web developer, and don't have a degree. (To be specific I do HTML/CSS/PHP development.) Until I can find a web dev job I am interested in any type of job I can find that pays $10/hr to $15/hr. So call center, tech support, or clerical -- anything I can find I will apply for.

What is the IT industry like in Houston compared to Austin? From searching online there seems to be a a more jobs in both compared to Nashville, but due to the larger population of Houston I don't know how it really compares. Nashville has a very poor market right now and has 8% unemployed. We've had massive lay offs in many areas including IT at major companies here almost monthly, and now we are over saturated with people with higher education than myself looking for the same jobs I am, which are few to start with.

Even though I have enough savings to make it a year without working, I'd prefer to find at least a temp job before the move so that I don't waste my savings on an apartment. I'd like to save it to put down on a house in the future. Can anyone recommend any staffing or temp agencies in Houston?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-29-2009, 06:02 PM

11,887 posts, read 36,922,373 times
Just go to Job Search | one search. all jobs. Indeed and do a search for web developers in both cities. Both temporary and full-time positions will be displayed. I like Indeed.com because it is an aggregate all of the job search engines (Monster, CareerBuilder, USAJobs, Yahoo Hotjobs, etc.) into one single portal.

You should also put your resume up on those above mentioned websites.

I did a search for web developer in Houston and about 100 web developer jobs popped up.

http://www.indeed.com/jobs?q=web+dev...=Houston%2C+tx

I had similar results for Austin.

http://www.indeed.com/jobs?q=web+dev...l=austin%2C+tx

Old 01-29-2009, 08:48 PM

1 posts, read 2,129 times
If you are looking for temporary work, I suggest applying for an Apple job with Volt. You may also be able to find a job in Apple's tech support or iPhone group since they are both located in Austin. Apple is a great company to work for and it's located off Parmer near McNeil which isn't far from Cedar Park. Austin is a great place to live!

Old 01-29-2009, 08:58 PM

24 posts, read 174,470 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by txgtr1 View Post
If you are looking for temporary work, I suggest applying for an Apple job with Volt. You may also be able to find a job in Apple's tech support or iPhone group since they are both located in Austin. Apple is a great company to work for and it's located off Parmer near McNeil which isn't far from Cedar Park. Austin is a great place to live!
I use Macs and would love to work for Apple. The apartment I had planned to move to was at Parmer and 1431 and would have been the perfect location if I found a job there. Right now I think my new plan is to spend a month in Houston and Austin and hopefully be able to find something at least temp so that I can go ahead and make the move to one of the cities while I look for something permanent. Thanks for the recommendation about Volt.

Old 01-29-2009, 08:59 PM

235 posts, read 803,270 times
Like anywhere else you'll find the job market has slowed. Some companies in Houston have a hiring freeze. A few have had layoffs but not a lot. Overall it's still pretty decent. I'm in IT but on the network side so I can't say how the programming market is. But for networking it's not too bad.

Old 01-30-2009, 12:00 AM

129 posts, read 382,690 times
First off, Houston has been a great IT job market over the past 15 years. The market here has been way too high lately, but is tightening right now due to the dramatic change in oil and gas prices. But there are still opportunities.

Regarding your stated skills.... I work for an IT consultancy. Maybe it is just a product of the industry/size of firms I work with, but we primarily do J2EE and .NET work in our custom app projects. In my experience, PHP isn't common in Houston... of course, everything in the browser is HTML and CSC. However, most companies I work with are using top tier app servers for their custom UI, business layer, and integration/soa needs.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston