U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-21-2009, 08:18 PM

147 posts, read 308,848 times

Advertisements

Are you dead set on TKD and not a more effective martial art?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-21-2009, 10:12 PM
JL

7,312 posts, read 11,478,620 times
I'm curious if anyone has taken their kids to the school where Steven Lopez's(Olympic) family owns? How was it?

Old 07-22-2009, 07:25 AM

7,912 posts, read 7,868,959 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Dirty View Post
Are you dead set on TKD and not a more effective martial art?
i second that question.

IMO there is no such thing as a TKD school that IS NOT a mcdojo. any place that a CHILD can get a blackbelt in a mater of a couple of years IMO is not good. you give kids a false sense of empowerment. parents tend to take their kids to a TKD or kung fu or aikido school for self defense classes. this puts false or unreachable expectations on the child. think about it, do you think your 10 yr old is going to be able to defend him/her self against a 200 lb man by kicking him with a round kick? NO!

this post is starting to sound like a telemarketing add LOL.

i suggest something more realistic like brazilian jiu jitsu. if you are in the kirkwood/memorial area then you are not far from westheimer and the belt. check out elite martial arts/ elite mma.

eric williams is TOP NOTCH! a world champion 3 times in BJJ.

www.elite-martial-arts.com

pleanty of mat space, prices are not bad, and the instruction is second to none. kids classes are fun for the kids while they learn.

bjj does not allow a child under 16 yrs old to reach black or even brown belt. at 16 the child tests for his blue belt which is the 2nd lowest belt in the BJJ structure. this keeps the kids "realistic" in their abilities.

my biggest pet peeve is a 6 yr old black belt.

Old 07-22-2009, 07:27 AM

9,274 posts, read 22,772,739 times
Wow, old thread dug up. I was looking for martials arts for me at the time,to spice up the workout routine. I decided instead of buying a gold plated yellow belt I'd pay for pilates reformer classes instead.

Old 07-22-2009, 08:49 AM

lol you know i didnt even look at the origional date.

i will still suggest elite which has a complete fitness studio with trainers. bjj is a workout like no other and is very good for womens self defense (they also offer a womens self defense seminar now and then)

Old 07-25-2009, 10:54 AM

3,161 posts, read 3,712,060 times
i'll second eric at elite.

elite is actually located inside Bona fitness, I worked out there for a couple of years. Id go watch um occasionally, eric really loves what he does...

Old 07-25-2009, 06:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bily Lovec View Post
i'll second eric at elite.

elite is actually located inside Bona fitness, I worked out there for a couple of years. Id go watch um occasionally, eric really loves what he does...

YES!!!!

eric and hai are AWESOME people as well as instructors/sportsmen. not to mention NASTY in a fight lol. eric may be the one man in houston i would rather not have to fight. a BJJ workout is like no other thats for sure.

Old 07-26-2009, 08:39 AM

147 posts, read 308,848 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rigas View Post
YES!!!!

eric and hai are AWESOME people as well as instructors/sportsmen. not to mention NASTY in a fight lol. eric may be the one man in houston i would rather not have to fight. a BJJ workout is like no other thats for sure.
You know people like Yves Edwards, Melvin Guillard, and Steve Altman live in Houston right?

Old 07-26-2009, 11:15 AM

yeah, melvin is a woman hitter, yves is to small, but a really nice guy, and dont know steve.

erics jitz is top notch and as good or better then anyone in town. i have had nasty bruises on my legs from eric through thai pads.

guys like sam hogar and ricco rodriguez live here too.

i stand by my statement about eric. (i am bias sure but he is NASTY). he was invited to the olympic wrestling team while in college but got injured and was paralized in one arm. he got better, anf faught some mma. was undefeated and was invited to fight in japan, pancrese and things. he turned it down to stay home with his wife. i believe he ended up nearly paralized in his arm at anouther point.

he won 3 golds and a silver at the international masters, his weight class and absolute divisions. his only silver was do to a lay and pray technique implemented by lloyd irvin who got 2 points on a trip and then stalled the time out.

and above all of this, he is possibly the nicest guy i have met in the bjj world
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
View detailed profiles of:
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or