U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-27-2009, 08:09 PM

4,751 posts, read 12,042,562 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by EasilyAmused View Post
Sugarland is fine. Middle Class and up. However, it's smack up against the worst area in Houston.
I think Sugar Land is more protected than that. The crime indices for my entire zip code in Sugar Land (77479) are quite low.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-28-2009, 06:44 AM

8,156 posts, read 26,420,381 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Topaz View Post
I think Sugar Land is more protected than that. The crime indices for my entire zip code in Sugar Land (77479) are quite low.

It is more ''protected'' than that. It's true the notorious SW side borders Sugar Land, but what Sugar Land touches isn't all that bad and never really has been. The SW side is huge, and not all of it is as notorious as Sharpstown or Fondren. As mentioned, W. Bellfort from Hwy 6 to Dairy Ashford isn't that bad (but it definitely isn't great).

I'd say the closest notorious area is maybe around Bissonnet @ 59 and east where Bissonnet and Braeswood split off. Now that's bad, but it's still an easy 5-10 miles from Sugar Land.

I still say parts of the inner loop east of 288 are a bit worse than the notorious SW side.

Old 01-28-2009, 07:34 AM

8,931 posts, read 11,320,381 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by crbcrbrgv View Post
How is Sugar Land smack up against the worst area in Houston? I was unaware that Missouri City, Meadows Place, Stafford and that little section of Bellfort from Dairy Ashford to Bellfort are considered the worst part of the city.
yeah. last time I checked, most folks considered the worst part of Houston to be the Acres Homes section (NW).

Old 01-29-2009, 01:15 PM

83 posts, read 270,688 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nairobi View Post
yeah. last time I checked, most folks considered the worst part of Houston to be the Acres Homes section (NW).

not to mention that the majority of women in acres homes have a high rate of stds and hiv.

Old 01-29-2009, 02:12 PM

18 posts, read 27,962 times
I'm not sure what your real concern is. Is it crimes in general with the car jacking or is it hate crimes due to ones race. The people you saw car jacking were they black, white, Hispanic, or something else. You also mentioned that you have a black husband and indirectly connected the confederate flag. Are you afraid something may happen to your husband? A lot of this fear seems to be very dated. I am sure there are still racist out there, but in general, society has change it norms about race and this is great. It is also great that we have a black president, but this is not the only criteria I will use to evaluate him on. I'm not going to give him a pass on just because he is black. I know I don't sound very P.C. but coming from Los Angeles and being in a mixed marriage also, one will always find crime and even hate crime in a big city. I don't thing you can start pointing fingers at people who wave a flag. If I may just share a little about my philosophy about people's attitude regarding my mixed marriage, if they don't like it is their problem. I'm not going to be overly concern about how people feel about it. I don't think you have worry about your husband, maybe your husband should be worried about you.

Old 01-30-2009, 09:22 AM

38 posts, read 82,464 times
I am sure my hubby should be worried about me! My concern is more for my kids...want to shield them for life, I guess! Anyhow, more concerned of crime in general. Just want to know we end up with a great school system, low crime, and great neighborhood of people where we feel at home.

Old 01-30-2009, 11:33 AM

5,429 posts, read 12,863,969 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbhawkeye View Post
I am sure my hubby should be worried about me! My concern is more for my kids...want to shield them for life, I guess! Anyhow, more concerned of crime in general. Just want to know we end up with a great school system, low crime, and great neighborhood of people where we feel at home.
I think there are lots of neighborhoods in the Houston metro that would fit your qualifications. But since Houston is so large, first it would help to know what part of town your jobs will be.

Old 01-30-2009, 12:17 PM

2,991 posts, read 4,468,958 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HeyDude View Post
I'm not sure what your real concern is. Is it crimes in general with the car jacking or is it hate crimes due to ones race. The people you saw car jacking were they black, white, Hispanic, or something else. You also mentioned that you have a black husband and indirectly connected the confederate flag. Are you afraid something may happen to your husband? A lot of this fear seems to be very dated. I am sure there are still racist out there, but in general, society has change it norms about race and this is great. It is also great that we have a black president, but this is not the only criteria I will use to evaluate him on. I'm not going to give him a pass on just because he is black. I know I don't sound very P.C. but coming from Los Angeles and being in a mixed marriage also, one will always find crime and even hate crime in a big city. I don't thing you can start pointing fingers at people who wave a flag. If I may just share a little about my philosophy about people's attitude regarding my mixed marriage, if they don't like it is their problem. I'm not going to be overly concern about how people feel about it. I don't think you have worry about your husband, maybe your husband should be worried about you.

Her concern is quite legitimate, and she is wise to express it here. Fact is, there are just certain groups of people around today who - believe it or not - would not exactly welcome her family into their community with open arms. Vandalism and harassment is a real concern in some parts, and yes I would be especially wary of areas dotted with confederate flags. I mean come on, how much more blatant of a symbol of southern (un)hospitality do you need?! There are even reports that hate crimes have gone up considerably since the election, so the only thing really "dated" here IMO would be the way these racist goons are acting.

Old 01-30-2009, 12:30 PM

2,991 posts, read 4,468,958 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbhawkeye View Post
Southwest is a great start, but like another poster said, it is huge (a third of the city is said to reside in the SW). Sugarlard, MoCity, and Katy are all decent starting points. I would then work my way in to Meyerland, Galleria area (steer clear of the Bellaire suburb, esp judging by the way their cops handle resident kids of color, but that's another thread), neighborhoods just north and south along Westheimer (and there are plenty). Stay out of Alief as well, too spotty. Innerloop west is probably your best bet in terms of social climate and crime concerns, but some parts can be pricey. Just remember, with H-town, EAST IS LEAST, WEST IS BEST.

Old 02-01-2009, 07:14 AM

1,663 posts, read 2,054,246 times
You would be welcomed in Sugar Land, Missouri City (Sienna Plantation subdivision), Pearland (Shadow Creek Ranch subdivision is nice). Also, check out Humble (Fall Creek, Eagle Springs subdivisions). Stay away from the East side of Houston, parts of North Houston and parts of Southeast Houston. Cypress is nice, but if you're working in Houston, traffic will be a nightmare. Katy is also nice, but again if you're working in central Houston, traffic will be horrible.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or