U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-01-2009, 08:23 AM

9,274 posts, read 22,791,892 times

Advertisements

I gotta say I took I-10 on Friday afternoon at 4:45, from Downtown to the Beltway. No traffic. I was stunned. I would say Katy Fwy is becoming the easiest commute of all of them.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-01-2009, 05:24 PM

126 posts, read 323,767 times
I agree... I-10 is SO much better now. I regularly commute to downtown and the galleria from BW8 West and have been pleasantly surprised. I left the LifeTime at BW8 one morning last week at 7:35AM and was walking into an office downtown at 8:00. I'm not sure how the traffic flow is between Katy and BW8 though.

Old 02-11-2009, 02:08 PM

38 posts, read 82,499 times
Ok, so I am actively seeking a position within mortgage finance to relocate to Houston. I speak with a potential employer and he asks me where I am looking to live. I mention Sugarland or South Katy. He then proceeds to comment, "You probably want to live in Katy vs. Sugarland. Sugarland is on the border of Missouri City where alot of the "blacks" live and there are a lot more car jackings there." Ok, so I have to say I am very taken back by that comment, as my hubby is black!!! In most cities there are higher crime areas in which generally ends up being in lower income areas, in which there may be black people, BUT I am pretty sure that was not what he meant! Ugh! I sure hope that was isolated. He had nerve to make assumptions of my views by sharing that comment with me!!! That is my worries, since I have two kids. I guess I just really feel sad that there is still a ton of ignorance out there.

Old 02-11-2009, 02:42 PM

488 posts, read 1,260,752 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbhawkeye View Post
Ok, so I am actively seeking a position within mortgage finance to relocate to Houston. I speak with a potential employer and he asks me where I am looking to live. I mention Sugarland or South Katy. He then proceeds to comment, "You probably want to live in Katy vs. Sugarland. Sugarland is on the border of Missouri City where alot of the "blacks" live and there are a lot more car jackings there." Ok, so I have to say I am very taken back by that comment, as my hubby is black!!! In most cities there are higher crime areas in which generally ends up being in lower income areas, in which there may be black people, BUT I am pretty sure that was not what he meant! Ugh! I sure hope that was isolated. He had nerve to make assumptions of my views by sharing that comment with me!!! That is my worries, since I have two kids. I guess I just really feel sad that there is still a ton of ignorance out there.
Wow, the potential employer sounds like an ass! I am shocked he would make a comment like that to a potential employee.

By the way...Sugarland and Katy are both great places to live.

Old 02-11-2009, 02:53 PM

5,429 posts, read 12,875,359 times
Quote:
Strange comments indeed. And rather stupid.
Yes, Missouri City does have a higher black population than many other suburbs. But many of these are affluent blacks; just look up the zip 77459!
And Katy borders near Alief, and north Katy, which I think are much less desirable than Missouri City for sure!
Honestly, I think there is some jealousy from Katy because Sugar Land gets a lot of attention and makes these "best places to live" lists. No offense to anyone in Katy! I just think that's part of it. There have even been a few companies recently that have moved their HQ from Houston to Sugar Land.

Old 02-11-2009, 03:26 PM

7,825 posts, read 5,459,576 times
Default I'm not shocked by that comment.

Quote:
You're not Black so he probably thought it was okay.

Old 02-11-2009, 03:39 PM

That is what is wrong! People are so ignorant they assume the comments aren't racial and they are okay, however if you wouldn't feel comfortable saying this to another race, then you should know it is racial. The assumption is what totally offends me. I wouldn't say I was shocked, as I am not oblivious to people as such, but offended, yes!

Old 02-11-2009, 03:58 PM

488 posts, read 1,260,752 times
Did he offer you a job???

Old 02-11-2009, 04:06 PM

He said to call him when I visit there in a few weeks. However I had not reacted to his comment he made. The end of our conversation was that he needed someone immediately, but to call him when I was in town and we could certainly talk. I did not confront him, as I thought he was probably oblivious that this comment was even racial or perhaps wrong!

Old 02-11-2009, 06:14 PM

Location: where nothin ever grows. no rain or rivers flow, TX
2,028 posts, read 7,338,870 times
maybe you should not think your husband is just 'black'.
personally, i'm not just 'asian', and it doesnt bother me if americans think i eat dogs
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or