U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 01-27-2009, 12:15 PM

38 posts, read 64,798 times

Advertisements

Okay, so I am doing my research, seeking job opportunities, housing info etc. Just talked to a friend who put a little fear into me, but I know there is always info missing in these stories. He had a couple friends visit Houston recently and were car jacked and robbed in the middle of a busy stoplight. I have two kids 6 and 9 and my main concern is living in a great area, low crime, great schools. We are looking into Sugar Land. What can you tell me about the random crime? Is it generally area specific, or spiradic? Here in Minneapolis, you pretty much know the good and bad areas, and they are very specific with a few exceptions of course. The areas usually don't overlap either surprisingly.

Is there a lot of racial tension? My husband is black and I am white. This is very accepted here in Minneapolis. I would think in 2009 it would be everywhere, but even though Obama is President and people claim that it is accepted everywhere, it isn't!! Generally I know bigger cities are more accepting than smaller towns. Any input? Are there a ton of Confederate flags still flying down there, or posted on trucks?

No offense to anyone. Just speaking my mind!!
Quick reply to this message

Old 01-27-2009, 12:25 PM

8,954 posts, read 15,443,694 times
It's the 4th largest city in the country. There're going to be carjackings.
The economy is in a tail spin, there is going to be more crime all over the country.

Sugarland is fine. Middle Class and up. However, it's smack up against the worst area in Houston.

I'm not going to answer your questions on racism because they're about 20 years behind the times. And I've never seen a confederate flag flown in my part of Houston. Mexican flags galore, but no Confederate.

Old 01-27-2009, 12:38 PM

7,725 posts, read 18,232,618 times
There shouldn't be racial issues you are concerned about. It wasn't an issue when I grew up there decades ago. Neither was the gay couple down the street. There were no flags back then either. You'll see Texas flags on big trucks though. And EA is right-- Mexican flags probably outnumber every other flag here, reminding us of where we really live. Make sure your kids are immunized.

You can still find racist homophobes in the ghettos of the inner city, as well as in trailer parks of the outskirts. Being a class thing, it's to be expected. If you stay in middle class and up areas you shouldn't have anything to worry about.

Crime can happen but Sugar Land is safe overall. Take time to get to know SW Houston carefully as it can be pretty rough.

Old 01-27-2009, 01:19 PM

894 posts, read 1,921,815 times
I'm white (actually my Mom's side are Minnesota swedes and I visited every summer growing up) and , conversely to you, my wife is black and we live in "rough" SW Houston just across the Ft Bend border near Sugarland and we've lived here for a long time and never had any racial problems. Had a friend of my nephew break into my house and steal a jug of wine and my playboy collection but he got caught at a bus-stop by Houston Police Dept cops. That's the extent of "roughness". :-)

SW Houston and Ft Bend (SugarLand, Mo City, Richmond, Rosenberg) is extremely diverse and increasingly affluent, although the collapse of oil prices and slow down of the energy industry may stop that nice trend for awhile.

My remembrance of Minneapolis was that there were a lot fewer mixed couples (like NONE!) around than Houston (not uncommon at all, also White-Asian; White-Mexican; Black-Mexican; Black-Asian, am I missing any permutations!).

On the flip side, some of the small towns once you get outside a 50 mile or so perimeter are sort of relict defense redoubts of the last embattled conferderates. Just keep your eyes open if you visit those. Most of these small towns have there black and Hispanic sections for years but places like Vidor are truly scary. Henry Cisneros in the late 80's/early 90's tried to desegregate the all-white (!) housing projects - moved 3 or 4 black families in with federal troops 0 and it only took a few months for the locals to run them off (fortunately not with guns or cross-burnings, just total meanness and dis-respect).

In total though, I think your husband will feel very welcome here. Mo City probably has a near majority of middle-class and wealthy African Americans. I live in a real unusual but very nice neighborhood Lakes of Fondren (within the Houston city limits in the southwest) that is probably 60% black (but of that maybe half African from West Africa), 40% Asian (mostly Indian and Chinese), and only 10% white. Only one hispanic that I know of and she's married to an African-American doctor. My wife (black) is also from up north (Jersey) and loves it here. Another couple down the street is white woman/ Iranian man. I think we mixed-couples may be a majority. You'll fell welcome here!

Old 01-27-2009, 01:35 PM

38 posts, read 64,798 times
Thanks for sharing! Everyone has an opinion and input and it is hard to really narrow down things. My husband grew up in Iowa as the minority amongst 97% white people, so he is used to that. I was just a bit more worried about crime, and my kids fitting in, and outright incidents. Minneapolis is very diverse, and the areas that are not, we never experience any issues, questions or anything. We had been looking at Katy online and ended up seeing some houses on the North end that looked priced very well, come to find out why, as crime rates are up and lots of foreclosures. I am trying to educate myself on everything!!!

Old 01-27-2009, 01:47 PM

2,577 posts, read 5,575,655 times
You would be fine. There are a ton of mixed race couples all over Houston, it is a lot more progressive than people give it credit for. Car jackings can happen in the big city, but I don't think they are common. I drive roads daily that would horrify most self-respecting suburbanites, yet I have lived to tell about it.

As for Confederate flags and such, well, there was one person in my neighborhood that had one, and it was considered such a oddity as to be news worthy.

http://swamplot.com/two-flags-over-g...ey/2008-07-14/

Old 01-27-2009, 03:13 PM

9,606 posts, read 9,563,391 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EasilyAmused View Post
It's the 4th largest city in the country. There're going to be carjackings.
The economy is in a tail spin, there is going to be more crime all over the country.

Sugarland is fine. Middle Class and up. However, it's smack up against the worst area in Houston.

I'm not going to answer your questions on racism because they're about 20 years behind the times. And I've never seen a confederate flag flown in my part of Houston. Mexican flags galore, but no Confederate.
How is Sugar Land smack up against the worst area in Houston? I was unaware that Missouri City, Meadows Place, Stafford and that little section of Bellfort from Dairy Ashford to Bellfort are considered the worst part of the city.

Old 01-27-2009, 04:50 PM

657 posts, read 1,657,031 times
In Houston it's hard to point to bad area, good area. It can almost change block to block. You would probably find north Katy a bit more integrated than Sugar Land. Missouri City is another area you might like. It's kind of mixed racially, with a lot of black middle class living there.

Old 01-27-2009, 07:16 PM

4,085 posts, read 8,503,462 times
I live inside the loop a stone's throw from downtown, in an IR, have a biracial child, and no racial problems, none, not ever. Come on down! You'll be pleasantly surprised. There are a lot of multiracial families here. Houston is considerably more diverse than Minneapolis. This is kind of old, but worth a read. Rice University | News & Media As for crime, just be smart, avoid known problem areas and use common sense. My neighborhood is pretty close-knit and we watch out for each other. Contrary to popular belief, there isn't gang warfare on the streets every day if you live inside the loop.

Last edited by neotextist; 01-27-2009 at 07:27 PM..

Old 01-27-2009, 07:45 PM

6,503 posts, read 9,584,272 times
Pretty much in any state in the South you can see the rare, odd confederate flag -- but when you do see one, it's like a major time warp (and the owner of the flag usually looks like a time warp themselves). The owners typically don't look scary but more backwoodsy and uneducated. On the few occasions I still see one have usually been when I am traveling along interstate 10 in one state or another long its path. Makes sense, as it runs from coast to coast. Of course, you can't limit it to the South - I've seen one outside of Detroit as well.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston