U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 02-02-2009, 09:35 AM
 
Location: where nothin ever grows. no rain or rivers flow, TX
2,028 posts, read 7,334,594 times
Reputation: 442

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by worldlyman View Post
It's "difficult" to find "authentic" ethnic food in Houston? Houston is an international port city that has access to the outside world!

Some 80 to 90 languages are spoken here, it's the 3rd or 4th leading US city in number of foreign consulates and it's "difficult" to find ethnic food here?

Outside of the main corridor of Hillcroft for Indian/Pakistani/Middle Eastern fare in Houston, let us also recognize that there's STILL quite more of it along Bissonnet, Wilcrest (Savoy Restaurant has delicious Pakistani food), Beechnut, Kirkwood, West Bellfort, Westheimer, etc. Isn't that the beauty of a decentralized city like H-town?

Is there a decent quantity beyond the boundaries of Devon? It's been a good while for me but...



Like there isn't a variety of "Greek, Vietnamese, Chinese, Japanese, Mexican (not Tex-Mex), Brazilian, Kosher, etc" here in Houston.

Houston is just about as ethnically diverse as Chicago...but thank goodness we don't really have that closed off neighborhood mentality of Chi-town.

I am a native of NW Indiana and I'd known Chicago's way quite well...

you say a lot of BS about houston. Houston is average. you cant just change that by reciting your poem all the time.
When was the last time you've been in a Thai restaurant and had to quit eating rice because its just too spicy(the rice), even with lots of drinks? Thai restaurants (in NYC) have 5 levels of 'american spicy' and 3 levels of 'thai spicy'. I ALMOST finished 'level 1 thai spicy' one time. (real) Thai people from the kitchen was cheering us for our efforts. It was fun, even with a date LOL

Houston is average. if people here are interested in real ethnic foods, investors will come and serve real great food. but nah, I personally don't think its worth it seeing people actually have time for that gumbo thing. and that 'chicken fried chicken' thing
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 02-02-2009, 09:38 AM
 
Location: Hell's Kitchen, NYC
2,271 posts, read 4,410,431 times
Reputation: 1584
Quote:
Originally Posted by EEstudent View Post
OK let me knock two of those straight off your list buddy, because I AM INDEAN and i can safely say that there arent any good indean/pakistani restaurants in Houston; certainly nothing compared to CHICAGO"S DEVON STREET. I dont know where your getting off on some of those buddy but you obviously have no clue when it comes to south asian cuisine.

however cajun; southern foods are unbeatable here in Houston; except for maybe in Lousiana... not too sure.

the other categories I have no expertise in so I wont comment

Boy you can't even spell Indian! How do you expect me to believe that you are? No, Sugarland probably doesn't have very good Indian food compared to Chicago, but maybe I'm wrong.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-02-2009, 09:39 AM
 
Location: Hell's Kitchen, NYC
2,271 posts, read 4,410,431 times
Reputation: 1584
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wysiwyg View Post
you say a lot of BS about houston. Houston is average. you cant just change that by reciting your poem all the time.
When was the last time you've been in a Thai restaurant and had to quit eating rice because its just too spicy(the rice), even with lots of drinks? Thai restaurants (in NYC) have 5 levels of 'american spicy' and 3 levels of 'thai spicy'. I ALMOST finished 'level 1 thai spicy' one time. (real) Thai people from the kitchen was cheering us for our efforts. It was fun, even with a date LOL
Another sob story from Sleepless in Alief. You know Wiggy, I don't know if you would fit in in the NE any more because here people don't sit around complaining, they just DO what they feel. That's one thing I will admit Northeasterners have over Southerners--they are doers.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-02-2009, 09:47 AM
 
Location: where nothin ever grows. no rain or rivers flow, TX
2,028 posts, read 7,334,594 times
Reputation: 442
Quote:
Originally Posted by theSUBlime View Post
Another sob story from Sleepless in Alief. You know Wiggy, I don't know if you would fit in in the NE any more because here people don't sit around complaining, they just DO what they feel. That's one thing I will admit Northeasterners have over Southerners--they are doers.
well, northeasterners read too. apparently, you dont because I wasn't complaining. you southerner you
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-02-2009, 10:11 AM
 
5 posts, read 44,706 times
Reputation: 11
Follow your heart - you only live once.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-02-2009, 10:33 AM
 
Location: Hell's Kitchen, NYC
2,271 posts, read 4,410,431 times
Reputation: 1584
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wysiwyg View Post
well, northeasterners read too. apparently, you dont because I wasn't complaining. you southerner you
HAH! No, it wasn't in reference to this post in particular. It was in reference to the other BS you post on here all the time smarty pants. Wait a minute, I'm the one in Boston not YOU! Man, I'm on a roll you fAliefer you! You can't win, sorry.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:


Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
View detailed profiles of:
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2018, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top