Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-22-2007, 10:02 PM

4 posts, read 16,046 times

Advertisements

I am a recent divorcee with two children (1 and 8). I want a new start and want to relocate. I have narrowed it down to Orlando and Houston (I know people in both) but leaning more to Houston.

Looking for great schools for my children, job opportunities (I work in education) and an excellent but affordable area to live.

The person I know live in Pearland but she is also new to Texas and can’t give me much advice. Please Share?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-23-2007, 07:43 AM

4,875 posts, read 10,070,126 times
What environment do you want? Do you want an urban or suburban environment?

Houston's a bit different from NYC - As it is a car-oriented area. There are some more pedestrian-oriented areas in Houston, but the areas are becoming increasingly expensive.

Old 02-26-2007, 09:45 AM

Default Relocating From NYC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vicman View Post
What environment do you want? Do you want an urban or suburban environment?

Houston's a bit different from NYC - As it is a car-oriented area. There are some more pedestrian-oriented areas in Houston, but the areas are becoming increasingly expensive.
thank you for responding,

I am looking more suburban, I want the best school dirstrict for my children but still close enough to all.

Old 02-26-2007, 02:45 PM

149 posts, read 567,810 times
We lived in Pearland for 5 years before we moved out to LA. I taught in Pearland ISD for 10 years. I think it's a great place to raise kids and the schools are good. I also loved teaching for the district. There is still a small town feel to Pearland, but plenty of shopping and things to do close by. I don't know much about Orlando, but wouldn't hesitate to move back to Pearland if the opportunity arose. Good luck with your decision.

Old 02-28-2007, 06:20 AM

Thank you,

I will look within the city of pearland. By the way, what do you know about Sienna? Which city is better Seinna or Pearland?

Old 03-02-2007, 03:17 PM

4,875 posts, read 10,070,126 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jella View Post
Thank you,

I will look within the city of pearland. By the way, what do you know about Sienna? Which city is better Seinna or Pearland?
Sienna Plantation is not a city, but an unincorporated section of Fort Bend County located south of Missouri City.

Old 03-07-2007, 03:36 PM

4 posts, read 16,130 times
I am contemplating a move to the Houston area, too. I am also in education and have been offered a job with Aldine ISD. What would be the best area for me to live, considering I'd want to rent an apartment, have a relatively easy drive to work, and be in a safe area? I've yet to even visit Houston or Texas for that matter so I'm really just trying to get an idea of what to expect. Is the Aldine area far enough from the city that it has a suburban feel? Is it a good place for young people (I'm in my early 20's)? Anything else I should look out for? All thoughts are appreciated!!!

Old 03-09-2007, 10:52 AM

257 posts, read 946,074 times
I used to own a home in Sienna Plantation. It is a beautiful family-oriented community, really gorgeous and country-ish. The only drawbacks is it takes 20-30 minutes to get to the nearest major shopping area in Sugarland, depending on traffic. And getting to the freeway during rush-hour and back again during rush-hour can be a bit of a nightmare, given its more remote location. If you were teaching in the area, that could alleviate all these problems, however. It really is a beautiful place, and has the most awesome community pool. My husband regrets us selling that house, but our commute to the downtown area from Sienna was killing us.

Old 03-10-2007, 08:53 PM

12 posts, read 33,159 times
Default KTmichigan info

Quote:
Originally Posted by KTmichigan View Post
I am contemplating a move to the Houston area, too. I am also in education and have been offered a job with Aldine ISD. What would be the best area for me to live, considering I'd want to rent an apartment, have a relatively easy drive to work, and be in a safe area? I've yet to even visit Houston or Texas for that matter so I'm really just trying to get an idea of what to expect. Is the Aldine area far enough from the city that it has a suburban feel? Is it a good place for young people (I'm in my early 20's)? Anything else I should look out for? All thoughts are appreciated!!!

Moving to Texas I think you will find that things are indeed bigger here. Aldine ISD covers a large area, it will make a difference where the school is actually located.

I don't live that far out of town but you would have the option of living closer to downtown with a reverse commute, or living farther out and possibly hitting some traffic issues. Your choices for apartments will be almost unlimited depending on your budget.

Come on down here for a long weekend+ to explore.

Old 03-12-2007, 02:42 PM

5 posts, read 21,433 times
Hey Jella, as a native of Pearland I can tell you it is probably the best suburb to live in around the Houston area. It is 15 minutes from the med center and galleria, and about 10 to reliant stadium. Hop on the sam Houston tollway over to 45 south and you are about 30 minutes from Galveston. There is plenty of shopping and places to eat, as well as parks, water parks, trails, biking areas and lakes. Pearland is the future home of a major technology park, the worlds largest bass pro shop, Nordstrom, Macy's, Dillards, Barnes and noble, and much much more. Two college campuses are planned as well, including University of Houston and University of Texas. A hospital was just completed and more medical buildings are on the way (one other has been completed). Pearland is set in 3 different counties, and has two school districts. They are AISD (Alvin) and PISD (Pearland). Both have received high marks. Despite the massive growth here in the past 5 years especially, crime really has not been an issue. Pearland was always a small safe town growing up, and they managed to keep it safe at least anyways lol. Some neighborhoods to check out would be Silvercreek, Silverlake, Shadow Creek Ranch, Sunrise Lake (located on the west side) and Lakes of Highland Glen (on Pearland parkway), Green Tee and Woodcreek. There are tons of other neighborhoods, but the ones I am suggesting are not very far from major highways offering easier access to Houston and other areas. As far as Sienna Plantation, it is nice but it is in the middle of nowhere. There is absolutely nothing around it on the highway 6 portion of it. When Pearlands town center, Shadow Creek Ranch town center, and the Promenade Shops at the Spectrum are completed )all 3 are seperate projects located within a mile or so of eachother), then Sienna Plantation dwellers will have a closer retail option. I am not sure how the crime is there, but Fort Bend county (where s. Plantation is located) seems to have a huge crime issue. One other nice area is just south of Pearland on 288. It is called Rodeo Palms. Very nice place and very close to Pearland and its ammenities, but it will add about another 5-10 mins on commute time depending on traffic. Hope this helps,feel free to ask any questions if you have them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston