U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-28-2009, 05:13 PM

9,274 posts, read 22,824,639 times

Advertisements

It's more opportunity crime around the better neighborhoods. And it's mostly focused on cars parked in the street. Seldom are there random break-ins when people are home.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-29-2009, 07:11 AM

Location: from houstoner to bostoner to new yorker to new jerseyite ;)
4,085 posts, read 11,241,485 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by skyegirl View Post
Hey everyone...I have been lurking for some time now and I had a couple questions! Houston is on our list for possible relocation when I finish Nursing school, however we are not interested in living in the burbs. We have 2 kids, (they will be ages 13 and 15 when we do move) and we are interested in the Montrose/Museum/Heights areas. We would most likely send the kids to private schools, so schools wouldn't be an issue. Would anyone or has anyone lived in these areas with children? Is crime going to be a major issue? We live in the burbs now and prefer to be in a more urban area where we can walk to stores, restaurants, etc. Any advice or thoughts on the subject would be very appreciated!!!
No, crime isn't a major issue. And the Heights isn't the glorified barrio. It is a pretty close-knit community that is rich with history and they're very proud of that fact, especially the Heights proper and areas to the east of it (Norhill and Woodland Heights). It's like living in a small town. The Heights has its own events like First Saturday and Lights in the Heights. There are many families living there, along with many Hispanics, gays, artists, college students, homeowners, and renters, so it's a colorful neighborhood. If you want homogeneity, I would advise you to look outside the loop for it. Same goes for parts of the Montrose and Museum District. The Museum District used to be part of Third Ward so it has more blacks. The Montrose is the most racially mixed of the three. That said, anyone would be welcome in any of these neighborhoods. All neighborhoods have folks of varying socio-economic backgrounds, from low-income to upper middle class. I'm very familiar with and have friends with kids living in all these areas. If you have anymore questions, DM me.

Old 01-29-2009, 08:13 AM

8,160 posts, read 26,483,908 times
Homogeneity can easily be found inside at least half of the loop. It is the half that is usually not mentioned in these boards (bad PR). Also look in the exclusive spots in the "trendy" half for homogeneity. But that is off topic...

I still stand by my opinion about The Heights, but only because of the experiences I've had. YMMV. The only parts of town I've had someone ask me for directions in Spanish are The Heights and the SE side. I seem to be a target for this for some reason. But being bi-lingual would be a major asset there. And the Heights is the only part of town in which I've personally seen a store name (Mexican art) with the word "Barrio" in its title. Perhaps it's not the only case in town, though. It's definitely not the only place in town where Mexican flags and written Spanish are commonplace.

The Heights is definitely not "barrio" like the Hobby Airport area, and it's nothing like where half of my family moved away from (RGV), but I still stand by my opinions. Though I have to wonder, because that map says crime #s in the Heights rivals that of the Hobby Airport area, and its ratios of robberies, rapes and assaults to overall crimes aren't all that much better.

Eh, numbers--- what do they mean anyway?

Old 01-29-2009, 08:23 AM

You can stand by your opinion, but living there is very different from visiting it or just passing through. You don't need to know Spanish to live there anymore than many other places in Houston, which is to say it would be helpful anywhere, but definitely not required. Nearly all the Spanish-speakers there who are homeowners also speak English, especially the younger generations.

Anyway, here's another link for the OP. http://www.houstonheights.org/index.htm

Old 01-29-2009, 08:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by houstoner View Post
You don't need to know Spanish to live there anymore than many other places in Houston, which is to say it would be helpful anywhere, but definitely not required. Nearly all the Spanish-speakers there who are homeowners also speak English.

True. It helps when you need to give directions to wandering people, or read beer billboards, but it is not required if you ignore all that. To be fair, the only instance I absolutely needed it was at a Taqueria near Hobby. There, it was 100% Spanish.

Living-in and visiting an area are two different things, but IMO both combined helps prospective residents get a bigger picture of what's really going on. If I didn't know the area well as a regular visitor for the past several years, I wouldn't have written anything. (Kinda like how I steer clear of any info on the north sides.)

Old 01-29-2009, 10:28 AM

382 posts, read 1,094,337 times
Heights really is what you make it. You can be in the artist crowd, the politcal crowd, the parent crowd, or in the low end crowd. Sheesh, isn't it everywhere? Back in the 70's the Heights was not a "cool place" to be. That has definitely changed!
We live in the Oak Forest area ( kinda near Heights outside loop) -but my daughter goes to school in the Heights, has dance class in the Heights, my family lives in the Heights. We have several friends in our area with children in 7th grade that go to Hamilton -and they are very happy ( kids are in Vangaurd). I agree with parentign makes a difference in child's behavior.
PM me if you want more information!

Old 01-29-2009, 08:56 PM

488 posts, read 1,262,156 times
Montrose is a really hip and urban area with history, restaurants, museums, antiques, resale shops, etc...but also alot of bars. I just do not think Montrose is the most "family friendly" area. I think the Heights or closer to Rice Village, or even other areas of the inner loop would be better for a family.

Just my opinion. I have lived in the area for about 6 years.

Has no one else heard of the "Montrose Kids"...the street kids that hang out around Westheimer and Montrose.?

Old 01-29-2009, 09:43 PM

2,582 posts, read 7,691,052 times
I really think the description of the Heights as a glorified barrio is a bit off. A lot of people consider areas "the Heights" that in reality are not. Some of the fringe areas like Brooke-Smith and to a lesser degree Sunset Heights have more of a "barrio" feel than true Heights proper. That may be more of what you are thinking about.

Now as far as having to order tacos in Spanish near Hobby, maybe so, but I bet they were good.

Old 01-30-2009, 07:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by modster View Post
I really think the description of the Heights as a glorified barrio is a bit off. A lot of people consider areas "the Heights" that in reality are not. Some of the fringe areas like Brooke-Smith and to a lesser degree Sunset Heights have more of a "barrio" feel than true Heights proper. That may be more of what you are thinking about.

It could be. If you're simply driving around you'll notice the scenery there drastically changes, and pretty fast. Some of the surrounding area I don't consider The Heights is very junky. Don't get me wrong though - regardless of everything else, I've said the Heights is a pretty neat & interesting area.

Moderator cut: off-topic

The OP is just going to have to pay a visit and see if it feels right within her budget. As with anything, more money = better accomodations.

Moderator cut: off-topic

Last edited by houstoner; 02-01-2009 at 09:19 AM.. Reason: off-topic

Old 02-01-2009, 09:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Josci View Post
Montrose is a really hip and urban area with history, restaurants, museums, antiques, resale shops, etc...but also alot of bars. I just do not think Montrose is the most "family friendly" area. I think the Heights or closer to Rice Village, or even other areas of the inner loop would be better for a family.

Just my opinion. I have lived in the area for about 6 years.

Has no one else heard of the "Montrose Kids"...the street kids that hang out around Westheimer and Montrose.?
The Montrose area covers a lot of land. There are some pockets that are much quieter and more family-friendly than others. I have friends with kids in the area off Dunlavy before you get to the bridge going over 59, others near Wilson Elementary, still others live in Audubon Place. There are quiet spots all over the area. Besides, a family that's looking for a family-friendly urban area probably isn't looking for the same things as a family looking for a family-friendly suburban area. One of the huge benefits of living in that area is that kids have cultural attractions like the Museum District and Hermann Park in their backyard. Those Montrose kids mainly hang out there because Covenant House is nearby. There used to be a lot more hanging out there a decade ago, A LOT more. There are homeless people in every city. Another benefit for Inner Loop teens in particular is that they can get around the city fairly easily on foot and via public transit so they don't have to stay at home and be bored if they don't have a car or aren't old enough to drive yet.

Last edited by houstoner; 02-01-2009 at 10:42 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston