U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-28-2009, 03:05 PM

5 posts, read 12,811 times

Advertisements

I live in Dallas but plan to move to Houston this summer. I would appreciate any feedback on Humble or Kingwood areas. I've read and heard mixed reviews....on crime and schools. I am looking for an apartment in a safe neighborhood (single-parent) and a private school for my five year old.

Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-28-2009, 05:43 PM

4,516 posts, read 11,311,550 times
Kingwood and Humble are both safe areas. Kingwood is a little pricier than Humble for apartments.

Old 01-29-2009, 12:30 PM

1,539 posts, read 2,755,125 times
The "Preserve" at Kingwood apartments are very nice. They are gated. My cousin rented a one bedroom there recently that had a w/d and was nicely sized for only $650/mo (meanwhile I'm stuck in OC and was paying $1400 for a 1bed, imagine how jealous I was!). Anyway, you can also rent garages there and they have carports too ( helpful if hail comes thru or high winds ). The pool area is very nice too. Kingwood is a very nice area.

Old 02-04-2009, 09:29 PM

94 posts, read 211,164 times
The Preserve is very nice and management is easy to deal with. My sister started there while in transition to finding a home and it was great for her.

Old 05-18-2009, 10:38 PM

5 posts, read 12,858 times
Most of the areas in Kingwood are beautiful, but the really cheap ones tend to get a lot of crime. Like any really low income area I suppose. Kingwood is known for having a lot of rich people in it, so in low income apartments you find them with money and nothing to do with it execpt lots of drugs, but Kingwood overall stays really quiet and really nice.

Old 05-19-2009, 08:03 AM

1,042 posts, read 2,790,670 times
St. Mary Magdalene is the only private school that I know of in that area but I could be very wrong. It is in Humble so there very well maybe one in Kingwood somewhere.They start at preschool and go through high school I do believe. Can I ask why private school??? It seems to me you could find a very good public school? Eagle Springs has a great Elementary School as well as Fall Creek from what I hear and Maplebrook over by Walden. I believe they are all recognized. Now that is not Exemplorary but those ratings change from year to year and I am sure you can find several threads discussing those scores.
The Kingwood area is very nice and for the most part upscale. They even have a new shopping center right on the lake which does not seem to have very many shops but some nice places to eat. I do believe that may be where the apartments are that people have mentioned in earlier posts. It has been a while since we have been there so I do not know for sure. Though it is upscale you always have your areas of rifraf where ever you live and of course that all depends on your personal definition of rifraf.
Humble is a great area and is growing by leaps and bounds. There are again some neighborhoods that people will advice you against but I will not point those out because again it all is personal preference. I have seen some areas that people have called the hood in threads and have wondered why and others that I completely agree with.
We are actually getting ready to move back to Eagle Springs so our children can attend school there. We are finishing up two years in Baton Rouge and well Private School is pretty much a must here so we can not wait get back home!
Good luck with your move!

Old 05-19-2009, 09:12 AM

4,516 posts, read 11,311,550 times
Kingwood has many private schools. Googling Kingwood Private School will bring up 10+.

Old 05-20-2009, 04:08 AM

7 posts, read 20,130 times
Check Atascocita, the community is really growing a lot. Maplebrook school is one of the best in this area.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
View detailed profiles of:
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or