Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-30-2009, 09:40 AM

1,765 posts, read 4,347,074 times

Advertisements

ARGGGGH.....

So this is the third phone call I've had this week from a Houston debt-collection agency. (I just Googled them, they're on Westheimer.)
It is the third time I have told the callers that I am not Debtor They Are Seeking, that I have had this phone number for 9 months, and each time the caller has said "we'll take you off our list." Liars.

I did not appreciate the interruption (jumped out of shower, but I have mom newly in nursing home and wanted to see who was calling) so I was especially testy.

HOW DO I STOP THESE CALLS???????????? Clearly they don't believe me; I'm sure debtors tell them all the time that they have the wrong number.
But they should KNOW that the name and phone # don't match!

By the way, this is not the first collection call I've gotten, with two other names -- I must have one of those "troubled" phone numbers.

Advice please?? Call their office, write their office, call the police, attorney general, local media, who???????????? I'm generally a nice and helpful person but I am beyond annoyed at this point.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-30-2009, 10:33 AM

6,884 posts, read 20,399,779 times
I would ask for a name and address of the company. Then compose a cease & desist letter and mail it to them. You can find examples online.

We had this problem with AT&T. We finally had to fax a copy of Matt's drivers' license, much to our chagrin, to the collection agency so they saw he was the wrong one. Before we did that they were calling us twice a day. If we didn't answer, they called multiple times and left automated messages. It got really, really annoying, and they didn't believe that we were not the right McDonald family until we sent over the DL.

Old 01-30-2009, 10:45 AM

10,090 posts, read 42,405,672 times
I've had my current cell phone # now for 5 years. In the beginning I was getting maybe 10-15 calls a week for a certain person. It has dwindled to a mere 1 or 2 a week now...but after 5 years!!!!!!!!!!! This person is still giving out the same #....Blockbuster called last week to say she has 30+ videos out and overdue! She drives a Jeep that has payments due...her utilities are /or about to be shut off....I sure 1/2 the people that I tell I am not this woman, don't believe me. Short of the inconveince of changing phone #'s not much more I can do. I have spoken to the phone co...they just say change your #.

Old 01-30-2009, 10:46 AM

Sorry to hear you went thru this too, Mom2. Oddly enough I was thinking about calling AT&T (my phone carrier)...but I'm guessing they won't be of any use. (I was thinking that they could tell the collection agency that this number does not belong to that person.) But AT&T has just laid off a lot of people and they weren't helpful before whenever I called them.

What irks me about your situation though is that you had to give them more personal information -- like the driver's license. That has his address and birthdate...I shouldn't have to share all that to get them off my back!

I wish I had a lawyer in the family...sometimes legal letterhead gets their attention.

Old 01-30-2009, 11:28 AM

2,489 posts, read 7,210,338 times
I have the same problem too. They are looking for 3 different people at my phone number. After two years we are still having the same calls every week. Medical bills, churchs, some place that has an office in Beaumont. Ugh!!!!! My husband was so fed up he told them he was going to drive to their offices and personally explain to them that so and so doesn't live here/have this phone # anymore. That companies calls finally stopped.

Old 01-30-2009, 11:35 AM

But I keep thinking there must be a government agency or some "oversight" authority that can tell these people to stop?????????

Obviously I don't have it anywhere near as bad -- yet -- as some of your stories...but I can see the local TV "consumer reporters" doing a segment on this stuff.

Old 01-30-2009, 11:55 AM

3,702 posts, read 18,208,805 times
Get the company's info and contact person name, then inform the caller that under the Fair Debt Collection Practices Act you are informing them not to contact your number anymore that you are not the person that they are looking for and that any future calls will be recorded/documented and that you will sue them pursuant to the above act. Tell them you will follow up this conversation with a written letter sent CRRR. BTW you are not required to prove who you are according to the act. I would not give them any additional info, it is none of their business.

See: http://www.ftc.gov/bcp/edu/pubs/cons...edit/cre27.pdf

To report abusive debt collectors contact the State Attorney General's Office
or
Federal Trade Commission
One Bowling Green Ste. 318
New York, NY 10004
1-877-382-4357 (877-FTC-HELP)

Old 01-30-2009, 12:00 PM

809 posts, read 3,568,565 times
I have this problem too and I've had the same phone number for 4 years. Lately, it's a recorded message and when I pick up the message says "this is a message for the person at this number that has contractional agreement with X student loan company. If you are not this person, please hang up in 3...2....1."
What the heck!? I get these messages on my answering machine too. SO ANNOYING!

Old 01-30-2009, 12:07 PM

2,489 posts, read 7,210,338 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlexTx View Post
I have this problem too and I've had the same phone number for 4 years. Lately, it's a recorded message and when I pick up the message says "this is a message for the person at this number that has contractional agreement with X student loan company. If you are not this person, please hang up in 3...2....1."
What the heck!? I get these messages on my answering machine too. SO ANNOYING!
Oh I love the automated ones that ask you to push two if you aren't who they are calling for. When you push 2 they say they won't call again. HA, next day same stupid automated ones calling again.

Old 01-30-2009, 12:14 PM

187 posts, read 714,231 times
Ugh, I feel your pain. And while changing numbers might seem like a solution, there's always the chance you'll end up with another set of issues.

We've had this number for about 5 months and get tons of FAX calls, and a handful of debt collector calls (automated). The fax calls are the most aggravating b/c there's no live person to speak to to let them know the number is incorrect....and when their fax doesn't go thru, sometimes they try over and over. ARRRGGHH!! I've tracked the number back to a mortgage company and contacted them to update their info, but it still persists.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston