U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-27-2012, 04:26 PM

1,666 posts, read 2,863,073 times

Advertisements

No offense, but I hope you are not a product of UH.

It should be "their"

Love Always,
The Grammar Police
Quick reply to this message

Old 02-27-2012, 04:33 PM

2,698 posts, read 3,782,538 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Houston321 View Post
No offense, but I hope you are not a product of UH.

It should be "their"

Love Always,
The Grammar Police
Are you a happy Grammar Nazi now?
As long as it's not ridiculous text speak or just plain effed up to the max and like wingdings...it's a message board. Chill.

And nope, I did better but nothing wrong with UH.

Old 02-27-2012, 06:51 PM

255 posts, read 386,824 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DejaBlue View Post
People think an easy acceptance is an easy school but not really. UH is hard to get out of but not so hard to get into.

Their grad schools are no joke though. Their business schools and law schools are really hard. Especially the law school. Probably like half the students at South Texas wanted UH because UH will get you around TX while South Texas will keep you in Houston for sure.

People look down on UH because there's the "oh so and so got in and I know they're not smart, they let everyone in" kind of true but it's harder than it's acceptance rates say.
I remember as a kid in Boston when among my friends, we looked at BC ( Boston College ) the same way.

What ?? No Tufts ? Harvard ? MIT turned you down ? An man...where you going ? *SIGH*........BC. Then we all grew up and realized it was a pretty good school. But as middle schoolers we had this perception of BC. It was considered the easiest school to get into in Boston. Thus....they must let anybody in.

Old 02-27-2012, 10:59 PM

7 posts, read 22,313 times
I had to comment because BCEagles01 post reminded me so much about my situation. Growing up in Sugar Land, there was this huge worshipping of UT/hate for UH among asian students and their parents at my high school. I suppose it was an ease of acceptance thing, but there seemed to be this belief that only screwups and slackers went to UH and, if you didn't make it into an Ivy League, NYU, or some school in California, then UT was the pinnacle of in-state education. As a recent (employed) UH grad, I can assure you that the academic rigor is definitely there if you look for it. If you signed up for all the easy classes so you can skate through school then it's gonna show through during the interview... The thing I learned about UH is that due to the easy acceptance, there's going to be a lot of BS classes. However, if you find the right professor(s) then your education is going to go a long, long way.

The thing that always astounded me the most is that the false rumors about UH are so arrogantly vocalized by people who don't even attend the school. You'll get robbed if you stay on campus after dark, the professors can't teach, etc. I've even had UTSA students mouth off about how classes at UH are garbage and the professors can't teach. What the heck???? Also, going to UTSA does not make you a longhorn by association. Sorry buddy... but you're just a roadrunner so you can go ahead and take that burnt orange shirt off now.

Anyways... I kind of went off topic but this is an issue that's been stewing for awhile. To address the original topic... Yes. The program is quite easy (understatement) to get into but there are a lot of resources available to help get you where you need to go. If you just show up to class and pick up a few things here and there then you'll be just as competitive as anyone else; especially in the Houston job market.

Old 02-27-2012, 11:23 PM

868 posts, read 1,356,489 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kimkimidk View Post
How easy is it To get into University of Houston Main campus?
I got into UofH downtown but they have a 100% acceptance rate.
I have a friend that just recently got into the Masters Program there and his GPA is "okay" lol. But he scored pretty well on his GRE test and he also applied early. I've been told by other peers that its not hard to get in.

Old 02-28-2012, 07:19 AM

19 posts, read 33,344 times
I think all you need to get in UH is to possess a heartbeat of some kind.

Old 02-28-2012, 07:23 AM

3,267 posts, read 6,279,717 times
I guess the former US Secretary of Education just had a pulse.

Old 02-28-2012, 07:31 AM

19 posts, read 33,344 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DanielWayne View Post
I guess the former US Secretary of Education just had a pulse.
What's your point? I don't remember anyone saying that no UH graduate has ever gone on to achieve success.

What we are saying is that unless your a corpse and you are wheeled into the admissions office by your caretaker, you will very likely be admitted to UH. Your comment did absolutely nothing to dissuade that notion.

Old 02-28-2012, 07:40 AM

3,333 posts, read 7,792,768 times
I, for one, don't give a rat's ### where folks go, as long as they go. Some of the most arrogant, worthless, entitlement babies I've ever interviewed were pedigreed, spoiled college bigots from snobbish universities. Give me the kid that bootstrapped himself to higher education. What university he/she attended, is secondary to whether they can walk, chew gum and comport themselves well.

Just sayin'...

Ronnie

Old 02-28-2012, 10:51 AM

3,267 posts, read 6,279,717 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ngmcd View Post
What's your point? I don't remember anyone saying that no UH graduate has ever gone on to achieve success.

What we are saying is that unless your a corpse and you are wheeled into the admissions office by your caretaker, you will very likely be admitted to UH. Your comment did absolutely nothing to dissuade that notion.
Your post implied UH has open admissions, which is far from true. And with Renu's leadership the gap between your assumption and the truth is growing wider.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or