U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 02-28-2012, 11:12 AM
 
Location: Charleston Sc and Western NC
9,274 posts, read 22,786,095 times
Reputation: 4684

Advertisements

[quote=DanielWayne;23178771]Your post implied UH has open admissions, which is far from true. /QUOTE]

True. It's "open your wallet and you can attend" admissions.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 02-28-2012, 11:54 AM
 
Location: League City
3,268 posts, read 6,287,376 times
Reputation: 3752
[quote=EasilyAmused;23179125]
Quote:
Originally Posted by DanielWayne View Post
Your post implied UH has open admissions, which is far from true. /QUOTE]

True. It's "open your wallet and you can attend" admissions.
It's not UT or ATM stringency by a long shot, but still far from open admissions. Besides there is a big disparity in funding between the top 2 public schools in Texas and everyone else.

I still don't get why some people are still hell bent on trashing one of the biggest economic engines for the city of Houston.

Todays chronicle:
UH creates fund to attract STEM faculty - Houston Chronicle
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-28-2012, 12:59 PM
 
561 posts, read 819,853 times
Reputation: 468
[quote=DanielWayne;23179866]
Quote:
Originally Posted by EasilyAmused View Post

It's not UT or ATM stringency by a long shot, but still far from open admissions. Besides there is a big disparity in funding between the top 2 public schools in Texas and everyone else.

I still don't get why some people are still hell bent on trashing one of the biggest economic engines for the city of Houston.

Todays chronicle:
UH creates fund to attract STEM faculty - Houston Chronicle
Because its easy.. and true..

UH been "easy" to get in but "hard" to get out. Could be due to the fact that alot of students get in who aren't quite prepared for the rigor's of college coursework.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-28-2012, 01:05 PM
 
Location: Charleston Sc and Western NC
9,274 posts, read 22,786,095 times
Reputation: 4684
Quotes function has apparently gone all screwy......
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-28-2012, 03:00 PM
 
Location: American Expat
2,189 posts, read 4,551,567 times
Reputation: 1872
UH is just as good as UT or A&M. Just not as prestigious. 99% of the people in here didn't even attend UH,UT or A&M. So it's pointless to listen to people who think they know something when they are clueless. That just dosen't help anybody.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ngmcd View Post
What's your point? I don't remember anyone saying that no UH graduate has ever gone on to achieve success.

What we are saying is that unless your a corpse and you are wheeled into the admissions office by your caretaker, you will very likely be admitted to UH. Your comment did absolutely nothing to dissuade that notion.
Your comment is a comment a High School drop out would make. I don't see why someone would say anything to that. His comment was factually correct. Yours was, literally, just some brainless comment.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-28-2012, 03:20 PM
 
Location: Houston, Tx
8,260 posts, read 9,219,596 times
Reputation: 8198
[quote=OducksFTW!;23181004]
Quote:
Originally Posted by DanielWayne View Post

Because its easy.. and true..

UH been "easy" to get in but "hard" to get out. Could be due to the fact that alot of students get in who aren't quite prepared for the rigor's of college coursework.
That could be said about a lot of schools. There was a report about how a lot of incoming freshman have to take remedial courses, because they're not prepared for college leval work.

Scores show students aren't ready for college - Washington Times
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-28-2012, 03:49 PM
 
1,594 posts, read 2,855,977 times
Reputation: 2160
This fact sheet gives some information on the freshman class. Average SAT is 1115. I would expect that to keep creeping up in the coming years as admission gets tougher.

http://www.uh.edu/admissions/apply/a...shman_2011.pdf
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-28-2012, 06:32 PM
 
2,706 posts, read 3,789,669 times
Reputation: 3051
[quote=14Bricks;23183399]
Quote:
Originally Posted by OducksFTW! View Post

That could be said about a lot of schools. There was a report about how a lot of incoming freshman have to take remedial courses, because they're not prepared for college leval work.

Scores show students aren't ready for college - Washington Times

No Child Left Behind is really on the ball isn't it?

3 out of 4 aren't prepared and need remedial courses? Good Lord!
I wonder what the numbers are for Texas. Probably making us look like a 3rd world country. TAKS and the rest are horrible. Kids are being prepared to pass a test and after than it's ??????? huh?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-28-2012, 08:04 PM
 
Location: Houston, TX
2,240 posts, read 2,669,012 times
Reputation: 1172
I know for the Business program you will need a 3.0 GPA and that's for transfers.
Good luck.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-28-2012, 08:09 PM
JL
 
7,312 posts, read 11,486,288 times
Reputation: 7168
Quote:
Originally Posted by dcoolbro View Post
How is their MBA program? It worries me that it's so "easy" to get in. That's a bad sign. I know they're not top tier, but if everybody and their momma can get in....
I graduated with an MBA there back in 95'. At the time, the program had an average GMAT score of 560 ....not sure what it is now. I enjoyed their program. They had a MBA/JD program too. I heard Rice Univ. has a very good MBA program also, so you might want to look at that. The graduate schools are not quite that easy to get in. I know the Pharmacy and Law school are pretty tough to get into.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:


Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2018, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top