Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-04-2009, 04:51 PM

2,271 posts, read 5,145,420 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mommy/Artist/Lawyer View Post
As I said I don't have the statistical data to back up my statement only my years of experience meeting professionals of all ages who have been to my dismay over whelmingly conservative. Not that I am ashamed of being an educated liberal, I just don't like the argument that we are better educated because it smacks of the snooty kind of elitism that the RNC has accused us of.
Well, it's true. You should be happy. It's not changing anytime soon either. It's a rather staunch political trend. We are better educated because we are. Professionals do not make up the entire work force in any case, (they make up a small part) so that goes hand in hand with what I said either way.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-04-2009, 06:03 PM

4,760 posts, read 13,822,318 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EasilyAmused View Post
What's shameful? Seriously. People are MORE comfortable amongst their own. DUH. There're huge studies on it. Why fight it? Why is it wrong to live around those that share your history, values, religion, and life experiences??? I'm so frigging sick of bleeding hearts saying its wrong and bad to have self-segregated neighborhoods.

Tolerance should be the issue . And really, tolerance amongst most Americans is pretty high already. Let them go home at the end of the day and let them live amongst "their own" already.
I know "tolerance" is thought of as a favorable thing, but it has connotations like you are putting up with something not so great. If you are "tolerating" something, that really isn't so positive.

I didn't say self-segregation is "wrong and bad," I just don't like going to a school event and all the cultural groups keep to themselves in tight little clusters of parents. I don't want my interactions to be limited to those parents who look just like I do.

Quote:
Originally Posted by EasilyAmused View Post
Liberal and educated? That's an oxymoron a majority of the time.
What counts as educated? I have a masters degree and a Ph.D. and I have liberal views on a bunch of things, conservative views on others.

Old 02-04-2009, 09:50 PM

247 posts, read 737,323 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by theSUBlime View Post
Well, it's true. You should be happy. It's not changing anytime soon either. It's a rather staunch political trend. We are better educated because we are. Professionals do not make up the entire work force in any case, (they make up a small part) so that goes hand in hand with what I said either way.
Well Sublime, generally educated folk work in a professional capacity of some sort so if we are debating who has the most education professionals would be the most obvious study group. It is not quite a Venn diagram but if most educated people are professionals and a significant portion of professionals are conservative then your argument that most educated people are liberals falls short. In any case your tone makes you sound not unlike a liberal version of a Palin conservative. Why is it so important to you to assert educational superiority? Why can't we just agree that liberals and conservatives think differently about things?

Old 02-05-2009, 12:00 AM

Quote:
Well Sublime, generally educated folk work in a professional capacity of some sort so if we are debating who has the most education professionals would be the most obvious study group. It is not quite a Venn diagram but if most educated people are professionals and a significant portion of professionals are conservative then your argument that most educated people are liberals falls short. In any case your tone makes you sound not unlike a liberal version of a Palin conservative. Why is it so important to you to assert educational superiority? Why can't we just agree that liberals and conservatives think differently about things?
There is no study group! Everyone is educated (or not educated) to some extent and we're looking at the big picture, which includes EVERYONE. So what you're saying is if you're not a professional you're not educated? I don't think that could be any farther from the truth. Just because you're not a doctor or a lawyer doesn't make you uneducated. (I mean that's just laughable. You might need to be up here studying with me. ) I actually believe it's the other way around. Most educated people aren't professional. Most people who have degrees don't fit into that category. I'm around way too many professors to say they aren't some of the smartest people I've ever met. I mean, just where do those "professionals" learn to do what they do?

Please don't call me a Palin conservative. I avoid that woman's name like the plague and there is definitely no need for name calling. In any case, I'm just stating the facts. Why is it so important to you to deny the facts? (Perhaps because it jars you that I completely tanked your argument with a simple basic fact I learned from a HS in HISD. Hmm?) It's cliche, but if ya got it, flaunt it. I never said they don't think differently about things, because obviously in this case they do, even when they know they're wrong. Read. Revise. Resubmit.

Last edited by theSUBlime; 02-05-2009 at 12:24 AM..

Old 02-05-2009, 06:47 AM

9,273 posts, read 26,486,142 times
My use of the word Tolerance was meant to be in it's purest form, tolerating the difference of others, interest in and concern for ideas, opinions, practices different from your own, or undogmatic..Accepting and allowing differnce not enforcing sameness. Not the merely "putting up with them."

My libertarian views are very much live and let live and for the government to stay out of my life. And I pretty much don't care how educated a person claims to be, but more about what they return into society if not by monetary contribution then with time.

As to this education/educrat conversation... I must say it's providing some very big giggles for me. Thank You. I have elitest educrat friends (believe it or not) in their 30's working on a 3rd or 4th master, and living close to poverty. They are so wonderfully educated on the ideal society, yet do nothing to physcially change it. I can judge them freely on a message board and it's quite cathartic.

Don't get me wrong, my MBA was helpful in some ways, like I got to live off Mom and Dad a little longer, but it's basically worthless. I learned more from other professionals and life/job experience. Getting out of the safety bubble of educrat society, and learning you can be and are wrong more than half the time is very liberating.

Old 02-05-2009, 07:03 AM

Location: from houstoner to bostoner to new yorker to new jerseyite ;)
4,084 posts, read 12,679,286 times
Mmmkay, people, it was fun while it lasted. Let's get back on-topic and help the OP, okay?

Quote:
Originally Posted by sojedu View Post
Hi, All!

I'm relocating to Houston, TX from Los Angeles, CA this year . I visited Houston in 2003 and I fell in love with the place and have been wanting to move ever since. I have a good friend who is also a recent transplant and she loves it. We've been trying to gather information, but she being thre less than 1 year is still learning about the place. She doesn't have any of the issues that I have (she's single, no kids and doesn't want to own a house). I would just like a more realistic view of Houston, not the general view that most realtor sites give.

Some background:
-I will be transferring my position with the Government, making about $60k per year. My expenses are negotible, with the exception of housing, I'm paying $1375 for a 2 bedroom/1 bath apartment in LA, not including utilities/phone. I would like to keep that about the same.
-I have 1 minor child at home and a 19 year on her own & in college.
-I can and will work from home 3-4 days per week, commuting would only be about 1-2 days per week to visit the main office during the week.
-I'm aware of the traffic, plentiful housing, diverse population, weather, and I still want to move here. I've lived in LA and other cities in California, but I would like a blend of city/small town- without the outrageous price tag! Shopping and entertainment are important, so I would like to be in an area that offers good selection.

If someone could give me some details on the following, I would really appreciate it:

-Commute. I'm interested in several areas near and around the Downtown area. I want to know what the commute would be like from either Sugar Land, Humble, Springs, or Katy to Downtown? Being from Los Angeles traffic isn't really a concern, I'm just looking for the best route or possible issues that I'm obviously not aware of. I have spent up to 1 hour in LA traffic just going 20 miles away from home, so I'm not worried about a 45 min ride anywhere!

-Housing/Taxes (I have already looked at HAR.com and realtor.com )
What are some of the issues when purchasing a home in Houston or surrounding areas? Who are the builders/communities to avoid? Do I need to/ have to go through the builder to get into a community or subdivision? I'm currently renting in LA, but I don't want to pay more than $3000-$4000 per year in property taxes on top of the Principal and Interest for a home. What is a Patio home?

-Schools/Colleges (Do I look for the middle school first or the community?)
My 19 year old daughter is currently in college for Nursing, so I think Houston would be prefect for her to continue her education. If anyone has any suggestions for good Nursing programs, schools, or colleges, I would appreciate it.

-Recreation (sports teams for kids, pools, amusement parks, etc)
I would like a family-oriented area with activities for my 10 year old daughter.

-Weather (i.e., Hurricanes and flooding issues). Are some areas more prone to flooding than others after a storm? I was in Missouri City, near the Galleria Mall in 2003 during a quick summer thunderstorm and didn't notice a great deal of flooding, but of course, I would like to hear from those in Sugar Land, Humble, Spring and Katy.

Because I have been researching this site for some time, I know that most of you are excellent in your assessments of Houston/Surrounding areas. Sorry it's so long, but "Thanks" to those that reply!

P.S. If you have any great links, please send those as well!

Old 02-05-2009, 08:28 AM

247 posts, read 737,323 times
Moderator cut: off-topic

SOJEDU: I have been looking throughout the Houston area for a house for the last 9 months and by far the most beautiful, affordable, family friendly area I have found is Sienna Plantation in Missouri City right next door to Sugar Land. It is naturally wooded, has a country club with a golf course and restaurant, an out door amphitheater where they have concerts and show movies during the summer, an equestrian center, a sports complex with organized team sports and a fitness center. They are building a resort style pool that will open this summer, and there are hiking and biking trails and parks throughout. The development sits 5 minutes from the Fort Bend County Toll Road and using it you can be in downtown Houston in 15 minutes.

Last edited by houstoner; 02-05-2009 at 07:01 PM.. Reason: off-topic

Old 02-05-2009, 11:56 AM

Moderator cut: off-topic

I think if the OP is looking for a suburb, Sugarland would fit well.

Last edited by houstoner; 02-05-2009 at 07:02 PM.. Reason: off-topic

Old 02-05-2009, 05:57 PM

4,760 posts, read 13,822,318 times
Quote:

SOJEDU: I have been looking throughout the Houston area for a house for the last 9 months and by far the most beautiful, affordable, family friendly area I have found is Sienna Plantation in Missouri City right next door to Sugar Land. It is naturally wooded, has a country club with a golf course and restaurant, an out door amphitheater where they have concerts and show movies during the summer, an equestrian center, a sports complex with organized team sports and a fitness center. They are building a resort style pool that will open this summer, and there are hiking and biking trails and parks throughout. The development sits 5 minutes from the Fort Bend County Toll Road and using it you can be in downtown Houston in 15 minutes.
OK, now I'm confused. I mapped Sienna Plantation to UH Downtown (the one on Main St. - I was just picking an address I know) and Google Maps says it is 30 miles, 47-60 minutes.

Old 02-05-2009, 07:58 PM

8,376 posts, read 30,691,505 times
Sounds like more of that 'fuzzy math' for commute times.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston