U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 02-05-2009, 07:14 AM

1 posts, read 3,007 times

Advertisements

I moved to Katy and learned( the hard way) that there is a difference between North Katy and South Katy. I did love my neighbors and house, but the subdivisions backing to mine were not so good. We were very blessed to be able to sale the house, we are now planning our next move. After months of searching, we like Westheimer Lakes North. We want North, since it is Katy ISD. I wanted to get some feedback on the area and subdivsion. It is a Canyon Gate Community- so I'm thinking it's okay. I did see a post from someone that made it a point to say NOT North!! I drove both areas, but liked the North better and The south is Lamar-ISD? Any feedback is greatly appreciated
Quick reply to this message

Old 02-17-2009, 04:49 PM

433 posts, read 985,706 times
I am also looking to build in Westheimer Lakes North, from looking for resale homes or build homes in Cinco, Seven Meadows, Firethrone, Westheimer Lakes North, etc....we liked the options in WLN the best for price, lot size, sq/ft, etc....WLN is a bit further out than CR and SM, but we can not get the same home in CR for the price. We decided on Westin Homes, even though you have to upgrade everything, in the end, it still comes out ahead and the price per sq/ft is hard to beat. We'll see how the process goes as we move along. We chose North for the Katy ISD as well, also Westin does not build in WLS, and we liked thier series 5 floor plans.

Old 02-17-2009, 05:04 PM

1,286 posts, read 3,334,487 times
WLN is a pretty nice community, although a little MORE cookie cutter-ish than CR or SM in my opinion. I'm not too familiar with the different builders or models there, just have one friend that lives there. She likes it, but she has big empty lots on two sides of her...something i wouldn't like. But then that's why I didn't build brand new. I would definitely stick with WL North, because of it being Katy ISD.

Old 02-17-2009, 05:58 PM

354 posts, read 1,766,312 times
We are building in WLN. We chose Meritage...the Hayden plan and got $25k in upgrades (mistake on salesperson's end...was only supposed to be $7500) and a nice lot. We chose WLN too because of Katy ISD. Thankfully the street we chose doesn't have any vacant lots other than ours. Westin is offering good deals as well...they WERE doing 20% off of base price and $12k in upgrades...don't know if this is still being offered. We spoke with our "future neighbors" and another family we know that live in WLN and they love it!

Old 02-17-2009, 07:02 PM

2,820 posts, read 4,339,537 times
WLN is no more cookie cutter than Cinco and Firethorne. They are all good neighborhoods that's still growing. As far as KatyISD, I think it's a great school dist. but that doesn't mean it will guarantee success for your kids. Take your time and find what's best for you, don't buy into the hype, hype is what got most of these people into homes they can't keep up or sell for a profit. Houston is a very transitional city, 20 years from now when Katy is built out, it wont make a different what subdivision you bought into ie: take a look at Alief, Mission Bend and Spring Branch LOL years ago they used to be "up and coming" areas with good school dist.

BTW Sugarland has withstood the test of time so far due to stricter zoning

Last edited by usc619; 02-17-2009 at 07:34 PM..

Old 02-17-2009, 07:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rubynicholson77056 View Post
We are building in WLN. We chose Meritage...the Hayden plan and got $25k in upgrades (mistake on salesperson's end...was only supposed to be $7500) and a nice lot. We chose WLN too because of Katy ISD. Thankfully the street we chose doesn't have any vacant lots other than ours. Westin is offering good deals as well...they WERE doing 20% off of base price and $12k in upgrades...don't know if this is still being offered. We spoke with our "future neighbors" and another family we know that live in WLN and they love it!
I never saw them offer 20% off....but they were offering $20k in incentives.

Old 02-17-2009, 07:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lane_change View Post
I never saw them offer 20% off....but they were offering $20k in incentives.
When I went around the beginning of January they WERE (notice I said were) offerring 20% off of base price on inventory and new builds....plus $12k in upgrades....most of the homes were around $220k and they dropped them to around $180k. Can't recall the salesperson's name but he was really nice.

Old 02-18-2009, 03:22 PM

2 posts, read 7,490 times
ANymore comments on Westin Homes? I still haven't found much info. BBB doesn't really say much since they are not listed with them. 7 complaints total 2 unresolved. Perry and others have 25 or more complaints and are also not with the BBB. Looked on the other sites about Homeowners and builders but didn't find any information on them. I was looking into buying a home in Richmond, TX in a small community where Westin was building. Not sure of quality but the build on the Castlebrook is awesome with the staircase and all. Price per squar foot is about $65.

Anymore feedback from Westin Home Buyers??

Old 02-18-2009, 07:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rubynicholson77056 View Post
When I went around the beginning of January they WERE (notice I said were) offerring 20% off of base price on inventory and new builds....plus $12k in upgrades....most of the homes were around $220k and they dropped them to around $180k. Can't recall the salesperson's name but he was really nice.
We went there in the end of January and obviously missed that oppurtunity....did anyone else receive 20% off plus $12k incentives or know someone that actually received that offer? I will most definately not pay full price with $20k off when I could have received $64k off the price of the home 30 days ago. No one in their right mind is going to buy into a neighberhood for $44k more than someone else did a month ago. I will wait until next December/January if that is the case.

I will talk with Greg about this, because I understand it is slower in the winter and all that, but $64k extra off of a $259k base price home is an amazing deal, how could anyone say no to that? 3700 sq/ft for $195k. That is like $50 per sq/ft w/o upgrades...with $40k in upgrades you would still only be at $60 sq/ft. Again, if that's the case, Westin will be short a sale until next December when I can receive the offer that others received weeks before me.

Thanks for the info.

Old 02-18-2009, 07:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lane_change View Post
We went there in the end of January and obviously missed that oppurtunity....did anyone else receive 20% off plus $12k incentives or know someone that actually received that offer? I will most definately not pay full price with $20k off when I could have received $64k off the price of the home 30 days ago. No one in their right mind is going to buy into a neighberhood for $44k more than someone else did a month ago. I will wait until next December/January if that is the case.

I will talk with Greg about this, because I understand it is slower in the winter and all that, but $64k extra off of a $259k base price home is an amazing deal, how could anyone say no to that? 3700 sq/ft for $195k. That is like $50 per sq/ft w/o upgrades...with $40k in upgrades you would still only be at $60 sq/ft. Again, if that's the case, Westin will be short a sale until next December when I can receive the offer that others received weeks before me.

Thanks for the info.
Were you interested in any of the inventory homes? All of the ones he showed us were completely upgraded and they were all 20% off! They were really nice...you know the whole "WOW" factor and all. We saw the Malibu, the Sundance, the Sonoma and the Montana. Really liked the Sundance!!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston