Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-28-2011, 10:33 AM

8,895 posts, read 19,997,888 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nairobi View Post
As do Georgia, Florida, the Carolinas, etc.

Well, the most popular food here is arguably Tex-Mex, which does have its southern influences.

The day that southern food isn't a big deal in Houston is the day that hell freezes over...or I guess all those BBQ ribs, fried chicken, chicken fried steak, Cajun etc. places are just misleading.
I'm a native and have no noticeable accent - not all Texans do. People constantly ask me where I am from because they can't get any accent from any state or region. I don't know why that is. You mentioned Georgia, Florida, Carolinas have accents from all over - pretty much every state does now. The states are blending.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-28-2011, 11:45 AM

20,515 posts, read 33,540,106 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by texas7 View Post
I'm a native and have no noticeable accent - not all Texans do. People constantly ask me where I am from because they can't get any accent from any state or region. I don't know why that is. You mentioned Georgia, Florida, Carolinas have accents from all over - pretty much every state does now. The states are blending.
Yeah. I've said it many times. But accents are on a dying bed at least in major cities. In the next few decades, you will see accents to start sounding the same.

Old 12-28-2011, 01:07 PM

8,227 posts, read 11,145,484 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by texas7 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spade View Post
Yeah. I've said it many times. But accents are on a dying bed at least in major cities. In the next few decades, you will see accents to start sounding the same.
I was born and raised in Houston, and I don't have a accent either. I think that has to do with schools. Its not like back in the day when schools were segragated and everybody looked like you. Now most kids learn english in schools that have people from all across the country and all across the globe attending them. So any southern accent gets lost in the suffle. If you go to the rural area you still hear it.

Old 12-28-2011, 02:50 PM

8,928 posts, read 14,338,208 times
You don't have to go to rural areas. As long as I've lived here, it's seemed like it's mostly those natives who grew up upper-middle class, on the outskirts of town or transplant filled neighborhoods that lacked a southern accent.

I'm black and from a working class background, but I attended school with several Asians, Hispanics, etc., and my southern accent is definitely noticeable. I'm rather articulate, but if I went up north or out west, there would be no question about where I was from.

Old 12-28-2011, 11:47 PM

171 posts, read 218,743 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthernBoy205 View Post
I don't why I thought you were African.

lol. It is a throwed ass name though

Old 12-28-2011, 11:54 PM

192 posts, read 292,985 times
without doubt houston is the SOUTH

]I've lived on the East Coast, the West Coast and 7 years in Houston. Houston is the South.

Old 12-29-2011, 12:00 AM

12,735 posts, read 21,777,154 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Macaframalama View Post
lol. It is a throwed ass name though
Well, he fooled me.

Old 12-29-2011, 12:47 AM

2,239 posts, read 3,229,779 times
I agree with lots of folks. Texas is almost as if it were it's own country still! Not "Southern" as in Alabama or Mississippi. Certainly not Western like Arizona. Houston is Texan. Texas has a unique culture and history that the states to the east and west of Texas don't have. Geographically and technically speaking, Houston is close to Southern states. Texas is surrounded by Southern, Central and Southwestern states. But don't even try to pigeon hole Texas under any of those labels. Texan will do just fine. And this New Yorker loves that about Texas! And Houston is not "the South". Biloxi is the South. Mobile is the South. Pensacola is the South. Jackson is the South...not Houston. Houston is Texan.

Old 12-29-2011, 12:53 AM

12,735 posts, read 21,777,154 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYer75 View Post
I agree with lots of folks. Texas is almost as if it were it's own country still! Not "Southern" as in Alabama or Mississippi. Certainly not Western like Arizona. Houston is Texan. Texas has a unique culture and history that the states to the east and west of Texas don't have. Geographically and technically speaking, Houston is close to Southern states. Texas is surrounded by Southern, Central and Southwestern states. But don't even try to pigeon hole Texas under any of those labels. Texan will do just fine. And this New Yorker loves that about Texas! And Houston is not "the South". Biloxi is the South. Mobile is the South. Pensacola is the South. Jackson is the South...not Houston. Houston is Texan.
I thought you had agreed that Houston is Southern?????

Old 12-29-2011, 12:56 AM

2,239 posts, read 3,229,779 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthernBoy205 View Post
I thought you had agreed that Houston is Southern?????
The more I though about it...the term "Southern" is too broad for Texas and Houston. Yes, natives have a "twang", but that twang is Texan too. So, I stick with this post!
This issue can be complex. I think in the end, it's all a matter of opinion, and no official textbook is out on the subject.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston