U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 02-14-2009, 02:58 PM

2 posts, read 10,367 times
Unhappy Boat Title Issues

Hi everyone,

I am new to this forum and I have an especially troubling problem. This will sound like it is out of some worst case novel but (sadly) it is true.
I just recently purchased a boat that has a Florida title and was issued to a dealer in Houston, TX. The boat was purchased by an associate of the dealer at an auction (with the dealers blessing) with intentions to fix it up to keep. The associate never fixed the boat and so never transferred the title. He then sold the boat to me. He never misrepresented it in anyway and told me he would have to get the title transferred.The dealer no longer has a valid wholesale license and has had a falling out with the associate.
This is a legitimate boat. I have a copy of the bill of sale to the dealer from the auction, a copy of the title(from the insurance company to the dealer) and a copy of the auction removal documentation when the boat was picked up. I have spoken to the dealer and to a title transfer company in Houston. The dealer says he can't help me because his license is no longer valid and the title company says they can't do anything without the dealer. The person that I have purchased the boat from has tried to help but to no avail.
Now for the twist- The boat and I are now in Indiana. Can anyone point me in the right direction. I really don't want to take legal action against the seller because I truly believe he was sincere in trying to transfer the title to himself and then to me.
I like the boat and want to keep it but I seem to have hit a stumbling block.
I am not in a big hurry, because the boat will take some time to fix but I need to get this resolved.

Thanks,

Alan
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-14-2009, 04:08 PM

1,150 posts, read 1,876,696 times
Sounds like you're going to need a lawyer.

Based on the above facts, the dealer legally owns the boat. Don't be surprised if someone shows up now to repossess the boat, if you told him where you are.

Did he simply close his business or file bankruptcy? If the latter, then the boat will be listed as assets with the bankruptcy court and you would probably need to file some kind of legal claim with the court to prove that you bought the boat and obtain title. If the dealer simply stopped doing business, then what did he do with all the other boats he had? Property doesn't cease to exist simply because a license expires. Seems like he could still transfer title but it would be as an individual private transaction not as a dealer transaction.

Who did you pay? How do you know the "associate" ever paid the dealer for his boat? Perhaps the associate was selling the dealer's boats and pocketing the money and that is the reason for the "falling out"? If you can't prove the dealer was paid, your only claim may be against the associate.

Old 02-16-2009, 08:24 PM

3 posts, read 6,838 times
Default I can help

AR3456,

I think I can help you get your title for less than a lawyer. I work with titles and boats and have helped many people transfer title. I may need to know a bit more about your situation, email me at lisa.barfield@gmail.com if you like for more info.

Lisa

Old 02-15-2010, 07:32 PM

1 posts, read 2,936 times
Default Reply to your boat issue!

I am going through a very similiar situation with a boat and two motors. I am dealing with a Bonded Title person with Parks and Wildlife right now and she has done wonders! Her name is Illeen Mesh with Texas Parks and Wildlife and should be able to send you in the right direction. Have all of your ducks in a row before you call! I have had to jump through hoops with my situation with multiple owners of the boat and motors and these people never actually transferred them into their name! I do not understand why someone would purchase something and not want to legally own it. Crazy! If anyone can help you she can! My mess is all coming together with her help. Let me know how you do.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AR3456 View Post
Hi everyone,

I am new to this forum and I have an especially troubling problem. This will sound like it is out of some worst case novel but (sadly) it is true.
I just recently purchased a boat that has a Florida title and was issued to a dealer in Houston, TX. The boat was purchased by an associate of the dealer at an auction (with the dealers blessing) with intentions to fix it up to keep. The associate never fixed the boat and so never transferred the title. He then sold the boat to me. He never misrepresented it in anyway and told me he would have to get the title transferred.The dealer no longer has a valid wholesale license and has had a falling out with the associate.
This is a legitimate boat. I have a copy of the bill of sale to the dealer from the auction, a copy of the title(from the insurance company to the dealer) and a copy of the auction removal documentation when the boat was picked up. I have spoken to the dealer and to a title transfer company in Houston. The dealer says he can't help me because his license is no longer valid and the title company says they can't do anything without the dealer. The person that I have purchased the boat from has tried to help but to no avail.
Now for the twist- The boat and I are now in Indiana. Can anyone point me in the right direction. I really don't want to take legal action against the seller because I truly believe he was sincere in trying to transfer the title to himself and then to me.
I like the boat and want to keep it but I seem to have hit a stumbling block.
I am not in a big hurry, because the boat will take some time to fix but I need to get this resolved.

Thanks,

Alan
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston