U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
 
 
Old 05-14-2009, 08:31 PM
 
Location: south by midwest
11,419 posts, read 17,671,492 times
Reputation: 5376

Advertisements



I miss Chicken n' Egg Roll.
Quick reply to this message

 
Old 05-14-2009, 08:36 PM
 
Location: Bayou City Megaplex
2,979 posts, read 3,023,795 times
Reputation: 2413
Hmmm...Trader Joe's. Grilling some apple-flavored sausage with basmati rice and artichokes with my kitchen window open to the California breeze. Those were the days.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-14-2009, 08:45 PM
 
Location: Houston
1,145 posts, read 890,704 times
Reputation: 785
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrSykes View Post
Hmmm...Trader Joe's. Grilling some apple-flavored sausage with basmati rice and artichokes with my kitchen window open to the California breeze. Those were the days.
Ah geez now I'm hungry again.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-15-2009, 11:00 AM
 
72 posts, read 169,519 times
Reputation: 46
In Los Angeles I shopped mostly at Trader's and supplemented with WF. You can get good seafood and organic meats at Trader's for a fraction of WF's cost. Even when they have the same products, like the Dr. Bronner's Peppermint Soap I hold so dear, the price difference can be drastic. At Trader's, it's about 9 bucks, at WF, it's 15.

It's so ridiculous to talk about natives vs non-natives here in America, in any state. Even if you were born in TX, don't you think your parents or their parents or their parents came here from somewhere? They were transplants too. Your argument might hold water if you're Native American, and even they traveled here at some point.

Last edited by barackbff; 05-15-2009 at 11:14 AM..
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-15-2009, 09:37 PM
 
Location: Houston
52 posts, read 105,701 times
Reputation: 23
Wow...here I am the original poster in Sunny Southern California on vacation. Been here a week and you know what....I have visited In N Out, Trader Joes, been to Ralphs and Vons, went to Knotts Berry Farm, visited Hollywood and Thai town, went to more Sushi bars than I can count and you know what!!!?????

I am ready to come back to HOUSTON folks!!!

It has been 1 and a half years since we have lived here in SoCal and my wife and I have agreed....they can have it!!!..Were coming back to H-town!!

OK,OK SoCal does have it's plusses....but just in the week I have been here, my wife was approached by some seedy men at a popular mall and told to move....only because they wanted her parking spot. I personally witnessed a beating and pulling of guns close to where I used to work (and not that bad of an area). I almost got run over by some drunks while riding my uncle's motorcycle....I have had enough!!

Folks here in Houston we have Characture, courtesy, kindness, Southern hospitality, and we are down right good all around folks.

I feel at home in Houston. I don't have to be a Texan trying to fit in the OC where I used to live.

The only area in Cali I felt good in was in San Clemente where we used to live.

Tomorrow I am pointing my Jaguar with Texas plates east and see YA'LL soon!!!
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-15-2009, 09:44 PM
 
Location: Houston
52 posts, read 105,701 times
Reputation: 23
Oh.... BTW...the double double with animal fries is still the best at In n Out..... Houston still needs a Pick Up STIX, I will be munching on plenty of pirates booty and I stocked up on a ton of 21 Seasonings and 2 buck chuck from Trader Joes.... Liquor is still cheaper here since you can get it at CVS, Rite-aid or at the grocery store.... Traffic still sucks and the smog is still there!!!

Oh......WEATHER is still perfect!!!
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-15-2009, 09:49 PM
 
Location: Houston
52 posts, read 105,701 times
Reputation: 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by D-Towner View Post
If you came from a place that had Trader Joe's and feel that it is that important to you, then maybe you should leave Texas and go where there are Trader Joe's. It is threads like this that get on the nerves of natives from Texas.

I am a 38 year native of Texas. I was born here!! I simply started the thread because TJ's is a cool place. I miss shopping there. It is ignorant for you to say to move there because of a store. If you were pulled out of Texas you might miss certain things we have here....BBQ, Tex-Mex, Southern Hospitality....etc.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-15-2009, 09:54 PM
 
Location: Washington D.C. By way of Texas
13,475 posts, read 14,969,563 times
Reputation: 5076
Quote:
Originally Posted by jfre81 View Post
I don't see why it should always be like that. If you ever leave Texas and go somewhere else you will probably be missing something or another. I've been there before.

TJ would probably take off well here, and if the economy gets better I could see them coming in. For now I don't see them invading the home turf of Whole Paycheck and HEB/Central Market. WF would like to shut them out so they can keep being expensive.
As I said before. Patience. The only reason why TJ's is not in Houston because it's parent company Aldi does not have a distribution center in the region. That will change in 2010 when the new distribution center opens in Denton. After that opens, new Aldi stores. Usually when Aldi opens, TJ's will follow. No doubt TJ's will work in Texas.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-15-2009, 10:38 PM
 
Location: DFW
1,971 posts, read 1,669,110 times
Reputation: 962
Quote:
Originally Posted by 80's old school View Post
I am a 38 year native of Texas. I was born here!! I simply started the thread because TJ's is a cool place. I miss shopping there. It is ignorant for you to say to move there because of a store. If you were pulled out of Texas you might miss certain things we have here....BBQ, Tex-Mex, Southern Hospitality....etc.
Many people in Texas are not happy with transplants coming here and complaining about the state. I wasn't trying to insult anyone, it just gets annoying when you see posts about the things that should be here.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-15-2009, 11:53 PM
 
Location: Washington D.C. By way of Texas
13,475 posts, read 14,969,563 times
Reputation: 5076
Quote:
Originally Posted by D-Towner View Post
Many people in Texas are not happy with transplants coming here and complaining about the state. I wasn't trying to insult anyone, it just gets annoying when you see posts about the things that should be here.
I don't think Houstonians are objecting to this when you visit Houstonarchitecture. Those are born and raised Houstonians and they want Trader Joe's as well. But anyway, it's natural for people to want what they miss. I'm in DC now and I wish they had an HEB. I wish they had sonic up here too because I love the drinks. It's harmless just to wish.
Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


 
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
Similar Threads

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2014, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25 - Top