Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-24-2010, 05:17 AM

739 posts, read 2,136,053 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Topaz View Post
Are you seriously equating a prison with HOME?
You're missing the point. I'm focusing on the government (City of Sugarland / Federal government) taking over land not belonging to them under the umbrella of being good for the community.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-24-2010, 09:17 AM

4,760 posts, read 13,827,101 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pdouglas View Post
You're missing the point. I'm focusing on the government (City of Sugarland / Federal government) taking over land not belonging to them under the umbrella of being good for the community.
No, I'm not missing your point. I just don't have a problem with a prison moving, whether the government is behind the decision or not.

Old 10-24-2010, 12:36 PM

5,429 posts, read 14,842,829 times
Quote:
The city is not going to just "take it" if you read the background. They're going to buy it from the state. Just like developers have bought land from the state. They do it because they think the land development is going to be profitable. The state sells the land because the land is now more valuable than as a use for something like a prison or farming.

Old 10-25-2010, 07:56 AM

1,765 posts, read 4,349,044 times
Not to hijack this thread...but as someone did mention that the new minor league ballpark will be near the current prison location...perhaps someone can answer this for me.

When I first read about the ballpark, the prospective site -- or at least one of them -- was around UH/Sugar Land near 59. Plenty of open space there and that seemed to me like the perfect setting.

Then, all of a sudden (or so it seemed) the much ballyhooed choice was the northeast corner of 90A and 6! Literally across the street from the airport and practically on top of the railroad tracks and the NALCO industrial site. Not to mention a huge swamp to empty and relocation of all those gators <G>. To me, the traffic scenario (especially regarding the RR tracks) will be much more of a headache at this corner.

This site seems far less appropriate than the 59/New Territory one.
Anyone know what tilted the decision?

Old 10-25-2010, 08:14 AM

377 posts, read 1,346,165 times
I was thinking about the same too... The intersection of 90/Hwy 6 is going to be a traffic nightmare...With the Stadium / Wall-mart Samsclub / Proposed HEB and the rail tracks..and also, telfair has set aside land for their new High school (if it happens eventually ? ) somewhere near to that area..

It seems everyone want that location now

Quote:
Originally Posted by catfancier View Post
Not to hijack this thread...but as someone did mention that the new minor league ballpark will be near the current prison location...perhaps someone can answer this for me.

When I first read about the ballpark, the prospective site -- or at least one of them -- was around UH/Sugar Land near 59. Plenty of open space there and that seemed to me like the perfect setting.

Then, all of a sudden (or so it seemed) the much ballyhooed choice was the northeast corner of 90A and 6! Literally across the street from the airport and practically on top of the railroad tracks and the NALCO industrial site. Not to mention a huge swamp to empty and relocation of all those gators <G>. To me, the traffic scenario (especially regarding the RR tracks) will be much more of a headache at this corner.

Old 10-25-2010, 08:52 AM

4,760 posts, read 13,827,101 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by catfancier View Post

There was some sort of conflict with UH about the land availability at 59/New Territory. So Sugar Land ended up with a far worse location. It is going to be a traffic mess, most likely.

The Mobility Advisory Committee is talking about being able to walk from the Museum to the Ball Park...in August, that would be fun...NOT!

I like their trolley idea, though...

Old 10-25-2010, 08:52 AM

125 posts, read 312,320 times
Quote:
Um, wouldn't this be a City government, Sugar Land, buying land from the State government, owner of the prison? Hardly a property rights issue.

Old 10-25-2010, 05:33 PM

141 posts, read 293,090 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Topaz View Post
There was some sort of conflict with UH about the land availability at 59/New Territory. So Sugar Land ended up with a far worse location. It is going to be a traffic mess, most likely.

The Mobility Advisory Committee is talking about being able to walk from the Museum to the Ball Park...in August, that would be fun...NOT!

I like their trolley idea, though...
Trolleys!?

Oh no, that'll bring in the crime!

just kidding.

Fabulous idea. I love that Sugar Land has a lot to do, but it's unfortunate that it isn't more walkable- if they implemented some kind of transport system like a trolley, that would be AWESOME.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston