Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-13-2010, 10:08 PM

739 posts, read 2,125,361 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maybe So View Post
[SIZE=2]This is not true. Many schools are still testing new applicants. March 10th seems to be when most of the private schools send out acceptance letters to new students for the following year. But if the school has space in a particular grade than they will take them until all the spots are filled. [/SIZE]
[SIZE=2] [/SIZE]
[SIZE=2] [/SIZE]
[SIZE=2][/SIZE]
My daughter was one of the 26 to get into SJS. Kids applying in October, 2009 are on the wait list to get in if one of the 26 decides not to attend SJS. There were approx 40 students admitted to SJS for grades 9-12.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-09-2010, 12:52 PM

1 posts, read 17,412 times
Hello Everyone, I hope you can help me to find a private school at Houston TX that my daughter can go this year (2010) I don't know if will be harder to get into a school in this time, but you know I really want this, thanks very much!!

Old 07-09-2010, 01:01 PM

9,273 posts, read 26,371,842 times
Part of town and budget would be helpful. And yes, it's very late to try to get in most schools. Applications usually go in in Nov., slots filled by March.

Old 07-09-2010, 01:16 PM

8,891 posts, read 19,873,797 times
Realize she is only 12 but it's never too early to check out high schools and start that acceptance process once you are here. Episcopal H.S. http://www.ehshouston.org/ehs/Default.asp

Old 07-09-2010, 04:51 PM

687 posts, read 2,118,915 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EasilyAmused View Post
Those schools you listed are all very good... I'll add in Strake,St. Agnus, Duchene, St. Francis,Regis, Awty.
We love Strake Jesuit, but I would not recommend applying there for your daughter, as her chances of getting in is nil (boys only). Perhaps the school next door, St. Agnes

Come visit the schools, including some of the public ones. You might be pleasantly surprised. Awty has a good foreign language program. However, I don't think anyone can beat Bellaire HS (a public school), which offers Russian, Chinese, Spanish, French, German, Hebrew, Arabic, Italian, Hindi and Japanese.

At 12, she's probably in middle school, so a little early for HS, but it doesn't hurt to check what's available.

Old 10-30-2010, 07:28 PM

1 posts, read 17,093 times
I disagree with the comment about Kinkaid being only for rich kids and behind academically than St. Johns. True, Kinkaid is the oldest school and is frequently funded by alumni, wealth has nothing to do with getting into Kinkaid. This alumni money means Kinkaid can easily afford to renovate buildings, pay their teachers more (therefore getting better teachers), and have your child enjoying going to school there each day. St. Johns does,on average, have higher SAT scores, but this can be a negative for college admissions. Colleges look at class rank and the median grade for all upper school students is a 90. So, if your child has a 90 as their average grade, by colleges this is looked at as being average,from their school at least. UT only looks at class rank. St. Johns, out of all the private schools, has the highest suicide rate, because they pressure all their students so much. At Kinkaid , a child can take the courses of his or her abilities, and allows your child to be involved in more extracurricular activities. I go to school at Kinkaid and have many friends at St. Johns, I can honestly say that if your child wants to be challenged at Kinkaid, you could have the same academic experience, but get into a better college, and enjoy your high school years more than you would at St. Johns. Every home football game (and sometimes field hockey game) we have a dress up day, the facilities are state of the art, and their is plenty of freedom (there isn't even a dress code in Upper School!). Kinkaid is like going to mini-college, and everyone I know loves it!

Old 02-02-2011, 08:44 PM

1 posts, read 16,787 times
Default Kinkaid vs. St. John's

[quote=elizclark;16464718]I disagree with the comment about Kinkaid being only for rich kids and behind academically than St. Johns. True, Kinkaid is the oldest school and is frequently funded by alumni, wealth has nothing to do with getting into Kinkaid. This alumni money means Kinkaid can easily afford to renovate buildings, pay their teachers more (therefore getting better teachers), and have your child enjoying going to school there each day. St. Johns does,on average, have higher SAT scores, but this can be a negative for college admissions. Colleges look at class rank and the median grade for all upper school students is a 90. So, if your child has a 90 as their average grade, by colleges this is looked at as being average,from their school at least. UT only looks at class rank. St. Johns, out of all the private schools, has the highest suicide rate, because they pressure all their students so much. At Kinkaid , a child can take the courses of his or her abilities, and allows your child to be involved in more extracurricular activities. I go to school at Kinkaid and have many friends at St. Johns, I can honestly say that if your child wants to be challenged at Kinkaid, you could have the same academic experience, but get into a better college, and enjoy your high school years more than you would at St. Johns. Every home football game (and sometimes field hockey game) we have a dress up day, the facilities are state of the art, and their is plenty of freedom (there isn't even a dress code in Upper School!). Kinkaid is like going to mini-college, and everyone I know loves it![/quote

It is absolutely true that Kinkaid is an alternative for kids who come from wealthy families and want to go to a good private school, but who cannot get in to St. John's. It is more difficult academically and it is much harder to get in. Wealth has everything to do with getting in Kinkaid, although it is true, on occasion, that families get in who are not wealthy, it is a known fact that if a really wealthy family can't pay their way into SJS, they can turn to Kinkaid and pay their way in every time. For the most part, it is a social and material competition at all times over at Kinkaid. Kinkaid is noveau riche, while St. John's is old money. And you can tell....all of the moms at St. John's are decked out to the point that you think they are always coming from a luncheon or on their way to a style show...in the MORNING even. It's who has the biggest house, most expensive car, the trendiest clothes. St. John's is much more intellectually snobby and not at all concerned with the material. Both schools can afford and have great teachers, Kinkaid does not have better ones. Both schools are state of the art. The suicide rate is a total myth. In the last five years? One suicide at SJS that was due to a chemical imbalance and one suicide at Kinkaid...also due to a chemical imbalance. Yet, this is what Kinkaid likes to point to because it has long been known that St. John's is just a superior education. It is NOT the same academic experience, not even close. Many parents have pulled their kids from SJS and sent them to the much easier Kinkaid, which is still a great school, but not comparable. It is really irresponsible for someone to say that it was St. John's fault that that boy killed himself. I am a close friend of the family and that couldn't be further from the truth. St. John's is and always will be the number 1 school in Houston, with Kinkaid running second. Lastly, an SJS student would never say "their is plenty of freedom". Would they? Isn't is spelled t h e r e?

Old 02-04-2011, 08:00 PM

10 posts, read 61,350 times
[quote=laineyg;17699902]
Quote:
Originally Posted by elizclark View Post
I disagree with the comment about Kinkaid being only for rich kids and behind academically than St. Johns. True, Kinkaid is the oldest school and is frequently funded by alumni, wealth has nothing to do with getting into Kinkaid. This alumni money means Kinkaid can easily afford to renovate buildings, pay their teachers more (therefore getting better teachers), and have your child enjoying going to school there each day. St. Johns does,on average, have higher SAT scores, but this can be a negative for college admissions. Colleges look at class rank and the median grade for all upper school students is a 90. So, if your child has a 90 as their average grade, by colleges this is looked at as being average,from their school at least. UT only looks at class rank. St. Johns, out of all the private schools, has the highest suicide rate, because they pressure all their students so much. At Kinkaid , a child can take the courses of his or her abilities, and allows your child to be involved in more extracurricular activities. I go to school at Kinkaid and have many friends at St. Johns, I can honestly say that if your child wants to be challenged at Kinkaid, you could have the same academic experience, but get into a better college, and enjoy your high school years more than you would at St. Johns. Every home football game
(and sometimes field hockey game) we have a dress up day, the facilities are state of the art, and their is plenty of freedom (there isn't even a dress code in Upper School!). Kinkaid is like going to mini-college, and everyone I know loves it![/quote

It is absolutely true that Kinkaid is an alternative for kids who come from wealthy families and want to go to a good private school, but who cannot get in to St. John's. It is more difficult academically and it is much harder to get in. Wealth has everything to do with getting in Kinkaid, although it is true, on occasion, that families get in who are not wealthy, it is a known fact that if a really wealthy family can't pay their way into SJS, they can turn to Kinkaid and pay their way in every time. For the most part, it is a social and material competition at all times over at Kinkaid. Kinkaid is noveau riche, while St. John's is old money. And you can tell....all of the moms at St. John's are decked out to the point that you think they are always coming from a luncheon or on their way to a style show...in the MORNING even. It's who has the biggest house, most expensive car, the trendiest clothes. St. John's is much more intellectually snobby and not at all concerned with the material. Both schools can afford and have great teachers, Kinkaid does not have better ones. Both schools are state of the art. The suicide rate is a total myth. In the last five years? One suicide at SJS that was due to a chemical imbalance and one suicide at Kinkaid...also due to a chemical imbalance. Yet, this is what Kinkaid likes to point to because it has long been known that St. John's is just a superior education. It is NOT the same academic experience, not even close. Many parents have pulled their kids from SJS and sent them to the much easier Kinkaid, which is still a great school, but not comparable. It is really irresponsible for someone to say that it was St. John's fault that that boy killed himself. I am a close friend of the family and that couldn't be further from the truth. St. John's is and always will be the number 1 school in Houston, with Kinkaid running second. Lastly, an SJS student would never say "their is plenty of freedom". Would they? Isn't is spelled t h e r e?
This post is petty and immature. In fact both of the previous posts are written with an agenda and each represents nothing but mere characatures of the other school. Both Kinkaid and St. John's are outstanding institutions. Both provide top students top educations. Both are feeders to the Ivy League, Duke and Stanford. The best way to decide is to tour both, apply to each, and gratefully accept if you are fortunate enough to receive an offer from either.

Old 02-04-2011, 09:21 PM

1 posts, read 16,708 times
Default Private Schools in Houston

First I must state that I go to Kinkaid as well so some of this might sound biased, but I will try not to be. St. Johns is better academically, but is also very stressfull (I know several people who go there, and they say it is cut throat to be in the top 10 percent). On the other hand I know some people who love it, it must be noted that there recorded IQ's are all above 150. Kinkaid is a great school, maybe not as strong academically but it would be 2nd or 3rd overall in Houston, especially the honors track. All the teachers and students make you feel welcome as soon as school starts. If you are looking for a good all girls school, St. Agnes is great especially for some of the honors classes, I have heard that at Duchesne quite a few of the girls are snobby.There is also Incarnet Word Academy which I have heard is a strange school to go to, and I personally know little about it. There are many other private schools in Houston, but I personally believe that for a girl Kinkaid, St. Johns, and St. Agnes would have to be the best schools academically and overall.

Old 11-20-2011, 03:19 PM

1 posts, read 15,463 times
I know this is really late and also probably pointless to post now, but I want the address the Kinkaid vs. St. John's debate. Both schools are academically challenging and very nice. As for the suicide rate, I'm not sure that's true. Although there have been suicides, I don't think it's more than other schools. St. John's purposely does not have a class rank or top 10 percent to stop the cutthroat nature of students, which forces colleges not to look at other aspects of a students application. And there are plenty of other good school as people have mentioned, St. Agnes, Duschene, Episcopal, etc.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
View detailed profiles of: