Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-03-2009, 11:47 AM

8,376 posts, read 30,694,805 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wysiwyg View Post
those look pretty tall to me

That is tall grass. It reminds me of the stuff found in the Chicago burbs, but taller. Most HOA's wouldn't stand for this in the front yard, but the back yard is likely fair game.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-03-2009, 12:45 PM

Location: where nothin ever grows. no rain or rivers flow, TX
2,028 posts, read 8,119,865 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tstone View Post
That is tall grass. It reminds me of the stuff found in the Chicago burbs, but taller. Most HOA's wouldn't stand for this in the front yard, but the back yard is likely fair game.
betcha this grass cant take being submerged in water that collects on the lawn thanks to clay soil. and I bet the lawmmower will flatten them and not cut it because they dont look stiff enough - no mow alright. just by experience I threw in some rye seed on my lawn and they sprouted fast but only to bow eventually and ducks my lawnmower blades

Old 06-26-2009, 06:14 AM

37 posts, read 106,871 times
Hummm, I did some more research and there are dozens of no mowing grasses on the market. Most of them are fescues (which I would think are available most garden places) and only one is a bent grass (which is the one I bought and LOVE!). They said it is the naturally shortest grass available.

I think if you are going "native" then you want the fescues. If you want a short grass, then the nomowgrass.com website is what you are looking for.

I called each company and none of the no mowing grasses are GMO though there was an article about some GMO grasses they are trying to shove on the market - ask before you buy if the site doesn't say not a GMO.

I live in Austin and the thing to remember is to plant it over the fall/winter and keep it moist for the first month or so.

Old 06-26-2009, 06:46 AM

5,976 posts, read 15,266,413 times
Default Zoysia

I used to have a zoysia lawn at my previous residence; only had to mow about every 4 to 6 weeks. It grows very slow, so I had to put the lawn in by sod, so it was a little expensive to install, about $1200 for about 3K sq ft several years ago.

Old 06-26-2009, 06:48 AM

9,273 posts, read 26,489,277 times
My catepillar grass I don't have to mow at all October through May. Then it's about every 6 weeks. Of course, I haven't been up there for the past 4 weeks, and it's probably all dead due to lack of rain.

Old 06-26-2009, 06:55 AM

1,416 posts, read 4,437,748 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HookTheBrotherUp View Post
I used to have a zoysia lawn at my previous residence; only had to mow about every 4 to 6 weeks. It grows very slow, so I had to put the lawn in by sod, so it was a little expensive to install, about $1200 for about 3K sq ft several years ago.
My next door neighbor has zoysia and it is really attractive and soft to walk on. The one thing I don't like is that even though it is slow-growing, it (1) isn't consistent in its growth (some parts grow faster than other parts), and (2) you still need to weedeat pretty often (which they don't).

Old 02-23-2016, 10:14 PM

1 posts, read 819 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TFW46 View Post
Thanks, mirjaja. Its good to know the downside. I dont care that I may have to re-seed every 2-3 years; seeding every so often is easier on my poor ole body than mowing every week. I ordered enough to double- or triple-seed my yard (to overtake the grass that's been there since the house was built in the 1960's). I promise to report back on how well it takes and how much maintenance-upkeep it requires.
Hi TFW46! Can you tell us what you decided on your grass back then and how it held up? Thanks

Old 02-26-2016, 02:38 PM

15,632 posts, read 24,422,547 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by twinkiesmommy2009 View Post
Hi TFW46! Can you tell us what you decided on your grass back then and how it held up? Thanks

Sorry that I didnt report back at the time. Unfortunately, my HOA doesnt allow this kind of grass (and dont get me started on HOA rules). So I donated it to a Habitat-for-Humanity-like group.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
View detailed profiles of: