Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-17-2009, 07:30 AM

448 posts, read 1,588,079 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJboutit View Post
250k to 350k your not gonna get much in Meyerland check out Willowbend or Westbury you can get alot more house for your money in these two neighborhoods they are really nice & only 1 mile from Meyerland
350k will get you a big house in Willowbend or Willow Meadows. Parts of Willow Meadows are zoned to Bellaire HS.

It is my understanding that if your zoned to Johnston MS (which I am, with a child on the way) you can apply to regular school at both Pershing and Pin Oak, which both feed into Bellaire. However, like someone pointed out most of the neighborhood (Willowbend, Westbury, Willowbrook, etc.) is zoned to Westbury which has not been that great of school in over 15 years. With that being said, if your child is determined to suceed then they will, the valedictorian at Westbury, recieved a full scholarship to Columbia University.

Meyerland is a great neighborhood, I dont know much about Sugarland but Clements is top notch as well.

Being a sports officials I been to both schools, Bellaire is more diverse than Clements.

Good luck!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-17-2009, 07:39 AM

9,273 posts, read 26,493,997 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by prettyinpink52 View Post
[SIZE=3]Royal Oaks Country Club. As in homes starting 600k+. [/SIZE][SIZE=3]There [/SIZE]
I know exactly what and where Royal Oaks is. And I don't think anyone living in that area should be casting stones at another area.

Meyerland doesn't need walls. Royal Oaks does.

Old 03-17-2009, 02:48 PM

21 posts, read 58,462 times
Access DENIED I do need someone for yard though, interested. Access Granted
Quote:
Originally Posted by EasilyAmused View Post
I know exactly what and where Royal Oaks is. And I don't think anyone living in that area should be casting stones at another area.

Meyerland doesn't need walls. Royal Oaks does.

Old 05-02-2010, 12:33 PM

7 posts, read 20,916 times
Meyerland is surrounded by some areas I would consider "sketchy." Obviously not Bellaire, but the area around Meyer Park is not the nicest area... Also, continue a little farther West in to Fondren SW and you will find a tough area of the city.

Old 05-02-2010, 12:57 PM

2,783 posts, read 6,675,792 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by houstontx27 View Post
Meyerland is surrounded by some areas I would consider "sketchy." Obviously not Bellaire, but the area around Meyer Park is not the nicest area... Also, continue a little farther West in to Fondren SW and you will find a tough area of the city.
Avoiding Meyerland because of Fondren SW is silly.

Old 05-02-2010, 01:27 PM

9,053 posts, read 17,197,318 times
Meyerland will appreciate more. The third biggest difference (other than commute and house size for the money) is the feel of each area. You really need to look at both to make up your mind. Meyerland = older homes with huge trees. Sugar Land = newer homes with not-so-big trees. It's a different atmosphere - only you can decide which you like best.

Old 05-02-2010, 03:00 PM

9,598 posts, read 16,565,019 times
Quote:
Every nice neighborhood in Houston is down the road from sketchy.

Old 05-02-2010, 04:23 PM

7 posts, read 20,916 times
Quote:
To characterize Meyerland as "a couple of nice streets..." is so inaccurate as to not make sense. It is a well maintained, very popular neighborhood with a strong HOA. A couple of streets? Roughly it stretches from the 610 loop to, in some sections, out as far as Hillcroft, and from the city of Bellaire to just north of Willowbend Blvd. It is a huge, very nice subdivision. Not "a couple of nice streets."

As for the other part of that statement, "...and then it gets sketchy." Really? Where? It borders the city of Bellaire to the north, one of the Houston area's more expensive neighborhoods. It borders 610 on the east with the nice and expensive neighborhoods of inner loop Braeswood on the other side of the freeway. Parkwest and Westbury sections 1 & 2 to the south and Maplewood for much of the west. All nice middle class areas. Anything but "sketchy."

I'm sorry but your statement may be your opinion, but it is not an opinion based on fact.
I was referencing this on my statement about Meyer Park area and Fondren SW bordering Meyerland. I agree that this shouldn't be a reason to not live in Meyerland, but to say that all areas surrounding Meyerland are "anything but sketchy"" is also misleading.

Old 05-02-2010, 07:24 PM

2,628 posts, read 8,832,525 times
Quote:
I was referencing this on my statement about Meyer Park area and Fondren SW bordering Meyerland. I agree that this shouldn't be a reason to not live in Meyerland, but to say that all areas surrounding Meyerland are "anything but sketchy"" is also misleading.
Meyer Park? Isn't that surrounded by Willow Meadows and Willow Bend?

There are no sketchy areas adjoining Meyerland. Fondren SW does not border Meyerland. Clearly you are not familiar with the area.

Old 05-02-2010, 11:56 PM

687 posts, read 2,128,457 times
I have relatives in both Meyerland and Sugar Land (First Colony, gated community), and visit them often. Love the Sugar Land amenities -- tennis courts, gorgeous biking/walking trails, lots of good restaurants. Their child attends Walker Station, a very highly ranked school. We've met a lot of singularly hyper-competitive parents in this neighborhood, in athletics (soccer, baseball, swimming) and academics.

As for Meyerland, I love the beautiful trees, the bike/running trail along the bayou, proximity to downtown and all those amenities, and VERY nice neighbors. I haven't met as many singularly competitive parents in Meyerland. The diversity of areas of competitiveness is what distinguishes Meyerland. I've met very dedicated Meyerland kids in the arts (music, painting, dance, theater, etc...), academics (languages such as Russian, Japanese -- offered at Bellaire HS, math, physics, chemistry, etc...), and sports (soccer, baseball, swimming, rock climbing, etc...). The Texas Medical Center attracts a very diverse and highly educated work force, and the residents in the surrounding area reflect that.

You can compare the neighborhood demographics here:
Meyerland - http://www.city-data.com/zips/77096.html
Sugar Land - http://www.city-data.com/zips/77479.html

Note that there are several zip codes in Sugar Land. I selected the zip code of First Colony, but it also includes these neighborhoods:

The Meyerland zip code also includes

Some differences I noticed:
Sugar Land is a little bit younger (median age, family size), higher proportion of Asians, foreign born residents more likely to be from India (Meyerland's are more likely to be from Mexico), 11% of kids attend private school (compared to 27% of kids in Meyerland zip)... Meyerland kids are also more likely to attend private colleges (21% vs. 16% in Sugar Land).

It just depends on your family's personal preferences. They're both fantastic neighborhoods. Good luck with your decision!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston