Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-08-2009, 09:53 AM

163 posts, read 669,412 times

Advertisements

Well I am glad you got a job, its good news and its nice to hear from time to time.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-09-2009, 03:10 PM

2 posts, read 4,920 times
Thanks so much for all the advice. We have definitely considered living on the island, we just really haven't seen anything we LOVE yet...
Hopefully we'll know more after our visit next week!

Old 03-10-2009, 06:56 AM

18 posts, read 55,973 times
Dickinson is growing with lots of new builds and neighborhood amenities, stores, etc.

I'd prefer that to the Island proper.

Welcome to Texas!

~Francis

Old 03-13-2009, 04:40 PM

596 posts, read 2,875,761 times
Carrie04, congrats. I would live there in a heartbeat. It may be a mess right now but it is a beautiful place, with really nice "downhome" people and a very relaxed atmosphere. I would live IN Galveston if you like that way of life. Its like being on vacation every day there, if your idea of a vacation is laid back. Best two schools on the island are known to be Parker and Oppe-Weiss. There are so many fun things to do there: The Strand, beaches, cheap cruises right out of the port there, horseback riding, camping (west end), "Dickens on the Strand", Mardi Gras is big there, etc etc. You should consider living on the island to see how you like it. Near the hospital there are streets that have gorgeous big old victorian homes that have been through hurricanes and stand strong. They are stunningly beautiful. I would never drive off the island elsewhere to go home each day, but driving down Seawall Boulevard, either to or from work, is bound to put a smile on your face.

Old 04-26-2010, 05:09 PM

1 posts, read 1,071 times
Default driving distance to Kemah?

I lived in G-town for 8 years, have been away, and am moving back now. My husband will work at Ellington Field, so unfortunately I'll be living off the Island and commuting. Do any of you know how the afternoon traffic is between Galveston and Kemah? I'm trying to decide whether it's better to live close to 45 or 146. Appreciate any suggestions.

Old 04-26-2010, 05:37 PM

10,447 posts, read 49,643,906 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hsample View Post
I lived in G-town for 8 years, have been away, and am moving back now. My husband will work at Ellington Field, so unfortunately I'll be living off the Island and commuting. Do any of you know how the afternoon traffic is between Galveston and Kemah? I'm trying to decide whether it's better to live close to 45 or 146. Appreciate any suggestions.
It's a nice easy drive from Galveston to Kemah. You DO NOT want to have to use 45 from anywhere. 146 only slows down in Kemah and crawls in Seabrook so your hubby will only have to worry about that but it's a short distance anyway.

Kemah is a great place to live! I really love it.

Old 04-26-2010, 06:00 PM

15,216 posts, read 30,545,629 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tstone View Post
Texas City ('toxicity')
There's another popular epithet for my hometown that gets bleeped around here....

If you were to go to Santa Fe, beware because you'll drive through Hitchcock which is a noted speed trap. I used to do a Galveston commute from Alvin which is nine miles or so other side of Santa Fe. Took me about 30-40 minutes, sometimes more if there was construction on the causeway. Wasn't very fun, but I don't much like long commutes in general. You also hit a couple school zones on Highway 6.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston