U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-08-2009, 07:24 PM

1 posts, read 7,354 times

Advertisements

We have just purchased a home (built in 1977). The Den (Living Room) has this beautiful, but outdated, real wood paneling.

Pictures are attached.

My wife would love to paint this paneling or pull it down and go with drywall. I personally believe this paneling has GOT to be expensive and there should be some salvage value to it. It is in perfect condition, along with the trim.

Are there any companies (or private parties) that would be interested in this paneling?
Should we find a way to paint it but can be stripped without ruining the wood?
Is this look so dated and has no chance of returning to style that I should just write it off and update the room?
Attached Thumbnails
Any salvage value to these real wood panels?-100_7015.jpg   Any salvage value to these real wood panels?-100_7017.jpg   Any salvage value to these real wood panels?-100_7042.jpg  
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-08-2009, 07:52 PM

8,979 posts, read 15,648,545 times
Personally, I'd strip it, sand it and stain it a French Gris. Or sand it and do a distressed paint on it.
I did that to my 1960s Memorial study and it looks incredible.
Block Paneling never goes out of style if it doesn't have the 80's stain. Just get rid of the mirrors, doors and shelves in the "wet bar."

Old 03-08-2009, 08:32 PM

1,154 posts, read 1,717,012 times
Photo, EA? Sounds nice.

Old 03-09-2009, 07:03 AM

3,700 posts, read 11,395,317 times
I agree with what EA said...but if you must get rid of it, there is a company in the Heights (sorry, can't recall the name) that salvages these types of materials. Beautiful wood and installation, just dated finishes.

Old 03-09-2009, 07:54 AM

8,979 posts, read 15,648,545 times
I'll see if I can't get to it later in the week. I also have to remember my photobucket account.

Old 03-09-2009, 07:56 AM

6,868 posts, read 12,968,539 times
I definitely agree with EA! Block paneling is really so wonderful when it's not so glossy and blinding LOL! You could paint them a taupe or ivory, or refinish them with a matte stain, I bet that would be lovely. I like EA's idea too, distress them. I wouldn't get rid of them though.

Old 03-09-2009, 08:21 AM

2,238 posts, read 4,791,258 times
This is very similiar to what our '68 house looked like when we bought it. We decided to paint it in the den and remove it from the kitchen. We plan on replacing the banister with wrought iron but havent gotten around to that yet. I would also like to see EA's den.

Old 03-09-2009, 09:17 AM

10,427 posts, read 29,987,000 times
I read your post before I looked at the pics. I was about to scream at you enough curse words to get be banned. Painting beautiful wood might even be more dumb then painting red brick exteriors or even as dumb as painting cabinets.

Then I looked closely at the pics. The wood appears to be maple which is more expensive then ol common run of the mill oak but there is not enough detail to have any value. It's just maple plywood with 1X homemade pillars giving it style. All basic inexpensive wood stock found in any lumber yard. If there were any scrolled, carved or any other type of WOW factor detail then it might have salvage value to a salvage yard. For whatever it is, it does look to be designed and installed by a professional that cares. But it is dated.

To strip and refinish it would be a life straining event and not worth it as it can be replaced all new for well under $500. So as much as I love wood and been dealing in wood for 3 decades I say lose it. Go with drywall and paint. If you like some wood I would also love to see some nice wainscoating or just a simple chair rail separating color from top and bottom.

Old 03-09-2009, 10:00 AM

382 posts, read 824,301 times
We had the same sort of walls in our last house. We painted over it and looks great. We had an issue with finding art work to fit into the "squares of paneling" though. I probably did not look hard enough!

Old 03-09-2009, 10:02 AM

8,310 posts, read 21,754,443 times
Nate, you are about 6' 3"?

One thing to consider about removing the paneling is that it will be a different thickness than the drywall you replace it with. Measure the doorjambs. If they are anything other than 4.5", you will need to (i) trim the doorframes to the proper thickness, (ii) replace the doorframes, or (iii) case the door with MDF or plywood before replacing/installing the finish door casing. The same probably applies to any windows in paneled rooms.

I like EA's suggestion. That could give you a great look that would support a lot of fur-mounted deerheads, but I don't really associate "distressed paneling" with "affordable."

Desertsun probably has the most practical solution and exposing the studs means that you could update and/or tweak the wiring with ease, identify any structural problems, insulate/pest treat anything that needs it, etc. etc. Several birds with one stone.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
View detailed profiles of: