Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-14-2009, 08:29 PM

12 posts, read 60,979 times

Advertisements

I have a 3' by 1' by 8" high fire ant mound in my back yard. How should I get rid of it? When I know I will not be outside, I walk by and "rough it up" with my foot then retreat inside. By father-in-law said dump cornmeal on it. I think that is why the mound is larger now. They ate and enjoyed it! I am considering attacking it with a shovel and trash can but it may take a few minutes as it is like concrete. I have two young kids who gravitate towards the mound everytime they go outside.

Any suggestions?

p.s. just moved to Texas from California six months ago. I never had to deal with any bugs or insects.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-14-2009, 08:38 PM

187 posts, read 714,231 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TJ Texas View Post
I am considering attacking it with a shovel and trash can but it may take a few minutes as it is like concrete.
May sound like a good idea in theory, but in reality...not a good plan. Fire ants are aggressive and FAST. They swarm like mad and will be up the handle of that shovel and/or your shoes in mere moments. In this face-off, my money would be on the ants.

Even if you do manage to scrape off the top of the mound, fire ants nest far below the surface....beyond the scope of a shovel. I don't know anything about how to contain/kill them, so hopefully others will chime in with methods or services to take care of that.

Old 03-14-2009, 08:56 PM

36 posts, read 110,271 times
Don't kick the mound, that just spreads them to other parts of your yard. You can pour boiling water on the mound, which is especially effective after rain like today. You have to get the queen, and sometimes boiling water doesn't get her.

If the boiling water doesn't work, go to Home Depot or Lowe's and buy some ant bait like Amdro, that stuff works in a couple of days.

Old 03-14-2009, 09:18 PM

6,884 posts, read 20,399,779 times
Didn't we just have this discussion on a thread within the past 24 hours? Or am I losing my mind?

Old 03-14-2009, 09:22 PM

668 posts, read 2,186,102 times
I would go to your local hardware store and see if they sell Diazanon. This stuff is concentrated, (comes in a green bottle and is abou a half gallon), and it makes 60 gallons! So, get that and mix it up and pour that puppy down the ol hole and keep pouring it until those ants start coming out and run like the wind if they do!

Personally, I would get a 2 litre pop bottle and put it in, then stick it in the hole and run... Let it drain in on the ants and it will kill them, (this stuff will even kill termites and everything living, so, wear rubber gloves when you are mixing it, and keep pets away from it, or it will poison them!).

I would keep doing this until all of the ants are dead, because you know that your not going to kill all of them the first time, as the stuff will soak into the ground, and anything that goes over it, will eventually die after exposure. (Yea, I used it to kill lots of water bugs and termites and it worked for me!).

May the LORD Bless each of you.

I wish you well...

Jesse

Old 03-14-2009, 09:32 PM

3,748 posts, read 12,400,319 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TJ Texas View Post
I have a 3' by 1' by 8" high fire ant mound in my back yard. How should I get rid of it? When I know I will not be outside, I walk by and "rough it up" with my foot then retreat inside. By father-in-law said dump cornmeal on it. I think that is why the mound is larger now. They ate and enjoyed it! I am considering attacking it with a shovel and trash can but it may take a few minutes as it is like concrete. I have two young kids who gravitate towards the mound everytime they go outside.

Any suggestions?

p.s. just moved to Texas from California six months ago. I never had to deal with any bugs or insects.
Welcome to Texas! Yes we have lots of fire ants here. I suggest a 2-pronged approach. Go to Home depot & buy some Amdro. Follow the package directions which is to sprinkle it around the mound and the ants will be dead in a couple of days. Also buy the broadcast grandular stuff that lasts 6 months. It will inhibit any new fire ant mounds from starting. You may see one from time to time but it will be a single one and easily controlled. Once you get the hang of it you can keep them mostly out of your yard & beds.

Old 03-14-2009, 10:09 PM

Location: where nothin ever grows. no rain or rivers flow, TX
2,028 posts, read 8,119,214 times
my neighbor had one of those (huge guy, just lazy) and I volunteered to treat it for him (for me). a shovel and the stinky otho brand ant killer thinger. I made sure i made a circle around the mound first with the ant killer. I emptied the whole container because it had huge fire ant soldiers. i came back after an hour and was glad to see the whole mound red with dead ants. it did take me another round the weekend after that to finish them off

Old 03-15-2009, 01:23 PM

4,900 posts, read 13,730,475 times
Buy Orthene, kick mound, dump Orthene on ants, problem solved.

Old 03-15-2009, 03:49 PM

Thank you everyone for your posts. I was really considering to challenge Plaidfrogg...her bet on the ants...but will now consider alternative methods. I do like the boiling water idea just for fun this evening. I will follow up with a visit to Home Depot later this week.

Thanks again!

Old 03-15-2009, 03:51 PM

Pets are an issue so I will consult a HD rep for suggestions.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston