U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 03-21-2009, 11:29 AM

9 posts, read 13,108 times

Advertisements

I am hoping everyone that sees this post will give me some feedback good or bad.

I live in Fort Lauderdale on the beach. I am going through a restructuring with my job and have been offered a promotion to go to Houston. I'm really excited about the job; but not so excited about leaving south florida and giving up the beach.

I've tried to google everything I can find about houston and galveston. I wish I could say I feel better but I don't. I've only been to houson once and this was about 10 years ago. I use to live in Baton Rouge and didn't like it.

I'm 39 but have a lifestyle of 25. I'm going to American Top Team for martial arts. Mountain bike, and am very active.

The other thing is acording to alot of sites; houstong is cheaper to live; but when I look at apartments; they seem like they're the same price (for something nice)

Any thoughts on Houston? Anyone move there and love or hate it?

Thanks
D
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-21-2009, 08:59 PM

2 posts, read 5,118 times
I lived in Houston for a year about 8 years ago and hated it, just recently moved back to Houston about 5 months ago and hate it even more. My wife is from Houston. I'm an outdoors person and there is nothing to really do unless you have a boat to go fishing (the bay sucks and the lakes are alright from what I have heard). The traffic is a nightmare! There are lot of good gyms to workout at but nothing really to do outdoors. I'm wanting to eventually move to Florida for quality of life which is non exsistent in Houston unless you like more indoor activities or partying downtown. There might be more to do but I haven't found it....I have been searching online and there seems to be some great clubs for active people but it seems like the majority of the activities they do are not in the Houston area.Good Luck!

Old 03-21-2009, 10:44 PM

809 posts, read 2,230,883 times
As far as prices for apartments, it really depends on where in Houston. What part of Houston would your job be in? Downtown? What prices are you used to?
Galveston is about an hour from downtown and the beaches are not nearly as nice as Florida's. There are places to bike.
Check out SportsMonkey.com for club sports.

Old 03-22-2009, 01:13 AM

819 posts, read 1,182,272 times
Depends on what you're looking for. The Houston area does have Gulf Coast opportunities but not as "pure" as in Florida. I did enjoy Indian Rocks Beach and Dunedin Beach.

However...

The diversity, the buzz, the variety of urban entertainment though are quite superior in Houston. I moved back to Houston from Tampa Bay and LOVE H-town. I would only go back to Florida just to take over my deceased grandparents' house if that's what the family would want. But lifestyle and opportunities and entertainment choices aside from the touristy stuff...you can't really beat Houston.

Old 03-22-2009, 08:56 PM

4,153 posts, read 5,999,320 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by reeve99 View Post
I am hoping everyone that sees this post will give me some feedback good or bad.

I live in Fort Lauderdale on the beach. I am going through a restructuring with my job and have been offered a promotion to go to Houston. I'm really excited about the job; but not so excited about leaving south florida and giving up the beach.

I've tried to google everything I can find about houston and galveston. I wish I could say I feel better but I don't. I've only been to houson once and this was about 10 years ago. I use to live in Baton Rouge and didn't like it.

I'm 39 but have a lifestyle of 25. I'm going to American Top Team for martial arts. Mountain bike, and am very active.

The other thing is acording to alot of sites; houstong is cheaper to live; but when I look at apartments; they seem like they're the same price (for something nice)

Thanks
D
You looking for a date on here?

PS, Galveston beach will make you foget about the other beach you left.

Old 03-23-2009, 01:58 AM

199 posts, read 413,548 times
Since you mentioned not liking Baton Rouge...there is NO comparison between Houston and Baton Rouge. Houston is a major U.S. city. If you ever get "restructured" from your job again, you are MUCH better off in a major city (lots of companies are based here) than in a smaller city like Baton Rouge or even in FL. Houston has lots of active folks - Terry Hershey Park is popular with cyclists. Memorial Park is also popular. If you do road biking, there are tons of folks from Houston that participates in the MS-150 (Houston to Austin race) bike event every April.

If you really miss Ft Lauderdale, you should be able to find easy and inexpensive non-stop flights on Southwest Airlines as long as it is booked in advance. Easy to fly out of Houston, whether non-stop on Continental Airlines or Southwest Airlines to major destinations in both the east and west coasts.

Old 03-23-2009, 10:13 AM

6,868 posts, read 12,968,539 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by reeve99 View Post

Thanks
D
There's lots of things to do, and the climate is very similar, so our humidity won't be a surprise. However, living in Plantation before, I can assure you that there just isn't anything aesthetically similar. You WILL miss Florida for those reasons; but you will love Texas for others.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston