Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-27-2009, 11:50 AM

9,189 posts, read 7,600,003 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jfre81 View Post
Thing is though this happens everywhere and has forever. Only difference now is there are cell phone cameras and YouTube.
Yeah, I know. It reminds me of when I was in school. Although no one picked on me. I was very tall for my age so they wouldn't try anything with me except call me a giraffe. And no, I wasn't doing the bullying. I was too shy for that.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-27-2009, 12:01 PM

1,806 posts, read 4,312,458 times
Wow youtube thats great, hell I have I a post from me at work on this site. Nothing to see hear move along :~

Old 03-27-2009, 01:35 PM

2,639 posts, read 8,289,147 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jfre81 View Post
Thing is though this happens everywhere and has forever. Only difference now is there are cell phone cameras and YouTube.
I grew up in Pearland and this behaviour never would have been tolerated. Why are they allowed to block the luch line and make so much noise? If I ever saw someone picking on a special needs child I would step in and stop it. This is not kids being kids, it is worthless kids being worthless!

Old 03-27-2009, 01:56 PM

Location: where nothin ever grows. no rain or rivers flow, TX
2,028 posts, read 8,121,369 times
tstone and jfre talks like theyre black parents but hey this 'tolerance' is basically the cause of all this bullcrap. to think some kid cant be expelled by carving a 'star' on his head and was thought to be gang sign, then they should use all they can to get rid of these wanna be thugs or atleast get their mamas on their behinds. we.dont.care.about.these.kids.getting.left behind. they can work at the junk yard in the future but its really irresponsible to let this or any type of bullying at school because the interest and safety of other kids is at risk.
man, i'm so glad I didnt grow up with black people like these, or even hispanic or white thugs 'having fun' that you have to find a way around them to get some food. thats the whole point of these videos - to prove they scare people. if theyre not official gang members yet they would be recruited thanks to youtube. it does not need to be a real chapter, they would do the same crimes and oppressive behavior once they think theyre 'legit' gang members.

Old 03-27-2009, 02:01 PM

9,273 posts, read 26,496,019 times
When they used to beat kids in school, this stuff still happened. But it happened once, just once.

Old 03-27-2009, 05:40 PM

874 posts, read 2,894,008 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by westres1 View Post
This broke my heart seeing the downs boy having to walk past those thugs. I dont care if it something other people did as stupid kids. It is wrong to make fun of and intimidate people who are different. Where are the teachers? What type of education are these kids getting? It certainly isnt civics!
If I were the parents of the boy with Downs I would be livid!
The teachers -- who are there to teach classes, not provide crowd control -- are probably in their classrooms teaching (or eating lunch during the lunch video). I'm sure you were really wondering about the whereabouts of the administrators and staff members who should be the ones responsible for things like lunch duty and patrolling hallways. I would be hard-pressed trying to place the blame on teachers rather than parents when kids act out or to say that whatever they are teaching "isnt [sic] civics" because the kids are choosing to behave this way.

I definitely agree re: behavior towards the special needs student. The parent(s) should have taught these students from a young age that they should respect and celebrate differences rather than mock them. Parents can easily model more appropriate behavior in this regard when out in public places.

Old 03-27-2009, 06:43 PM

5,976 posts, read 15,271,663 times
Default Effect of PC...

This is a result of political correctness run amok. Teachers cannot punish these kids for goofing around, and more absurd, parents cannot punish their teenagers because they can be reported for 'child abuse'.

Granted, the use of corporal punishment has limits, but it is often translated, applied, and defined differently be people that even just a good old fashioned hand spank on one's bottom could get a parent arrested, and children taken away.

It is very normal to act out in high school; trying to fit in, peer pressure, harmones. It causes teenagers to do weird things. However, what can teachers do? As EasilyAmused noted, all through elementary school, and through my sophomore year (law was changed), the paddle was the enforcer. I recieved a few in my years. What is funny now is that I never told my parents, else I would have gotten in even more trouble.

So, you can say these are bad kids, and that it's the teachers fault, and the parents should raise better kids, I agree with all that. But when it comes to the schools, what are the teachers to do if their parents don't do anything? Their hands are figuratively tied.

Old 03-27-2009, 07:00 PM

Location: from houstoner to bostoner to new yorker to new jerseyite ;)
4,084 posts, read 12,683,905 times
Thread closed for mod review.

Old 03-29-2009, 06:37 AM

Location: from houstoner to bostoner to new yorker to new jerseyite ;)
4,084 posts, read 12,683,905 times
Thread reopened. Carry on.

Old 03-29-2009, 12:32 PM

8,376 posts, read 30,702,433 times
I'm not trying to act like a black parent. This exact thing was going on in the highly acclaimed Fort Bend ISD schools some 15 years ago. All kids sat or stood around in clusters wherever they landed. The retarded kid walked by and screamed and they had a cheap, 10 second laugh. (A flashing or mooning was worth a 1 minute laugh. ) And these guys weren't necessarily blocking any lines. Many of these schools have 3000-4000 kids (with 1400-1500 fresh fish) and the hallways between classes flow packed to the walls. During lunch every day, there was standing-room only all 4 years of my HS days.

Wysiwyg, you never dealt with blacks like these because you didn't grow up in the Southern US. The rest of the country thinks TX and the rest of the south is chock full of morons due to the antics displayed this video.

Anyway, I say let them have their fun while they still can. Because many of these idiots who carry on with this past age 18 will find their future lies in traveling to the worst parts of the country, breaking their backs as construction laborers. Or they'll open car stereo stores out of their trunks, drug stores out of their 1-room apartments, and work at the local Quicky-Lube.

Last edited by tstone; 03-29-2009 at 12:41 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston