U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 03-24-2009, 11:24 AM

1,205 posts, read 1,619,952 times
Default Explain "Finger Furniture Gives Up Ashley Franchise" to me

Late last year, all the Finger Furniture stores became Ashley Furniture. Finger's actually became an Ashley franchise; they renamed their stores Ashley. That I understood.

Now I see where Finger's has lost (sold?) their Ashley franchise to Hill Country Partners. So HCP (whoever they are) will run the stores, still as Ashley Furniture.

My question is...what the heck happens to Finger's in all of this? Does this mean they are out of business as a company? No stores with their name, no franchise stores--no more Finger family in the furniture business? Did they screw up somehow and forget to mail the franchise renewal check? Or were they forced out by Ashley? Or was this all part of a plan for the Finger family to gracefully walk away (and cash out) of the biz after patriarch Bobby Finger died?

This all seems so odd. And there has been little to no info in the papers. Just curious . . .
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-24-2009, 11:55 AM

2,077 posts, read 2,396,755 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by astrohip View Post
Late last year, all the Finger Furniture stores became Ashley Furniture. Finger's actually became an Ashley franchise; they renamed their stores Ashley. That I understood.

Now I see where Finger's has lost (sold?) their Ashley franchise to Hill Country Partners. So HCP (whoever they are) will run the stores, still as Ashley Furniture.

My question is...what the heck happens to Finger's in all of this? Does this mean they are out of business as a company? No stores with their name, no franchise stores--no more Finger family in the furniture business? Did they screw up somehow and forget to mail the franchise renewal check? Or were they forced out by Ashley? Or was this all part of a plan for the Finger family to gracefully walk away (and cash out) of the biz after patriarch Bobby Finger died?

This all seems so odd. And there has been little to no info in the papers. Just curious . . .
They are out of the furniture business as of now. Looks like nobody is coming forward to say what really happened, but I assume it is one of two things you already mentioned:

A. Rodney Finger sold out... an opportunity presented itself for him to get out and he jumped at it.

B. Ashley used Finger to capture a major share of the Houston market and then forced Finger out.

Maybe it's a little of both.

Old 03-24-2009, 11:57 AM

962 posts, read 2,364,481 times
This is pure speculation on my part, but I think that the Finger organization had every intention of converting their Finger's stores to Ashley. However, they probably had a bit too much debt, and when the economy turned, they found themselves with big bills to pay and not much in the way of cash flow. So as they were closing the stores, they would selectively decide not to reopen. At some point, HCP probably went to Ashley with a better deal, and Finger had little choice but to take it.

At this point, I believe they are out of the furniture business. I don't know why the Chron hasn't covered it in more depth, except that perhaps because it is a private enterprise, there is only so much info they can get without resorting to sheer speculation or gossip.

Old 03-24-2009, 01:00 PM

6,866 posts, read 12,367,328 times
I agree with travelguy. I also think Rodney wanted NOTHING to do with the furniture industry his father built here in Houston.

Gosh, I remember when Fingers was nice, back in the 70's.

Old 03-24-2009, 03:18 PM

10,221 posts, read 5,949,355 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mom2Feebs View Post
I agree with travelguy. I also think Rodney wanted NOTHING to do with the furniture industry his father built here in Houston.

Gosh, I remember when Fingers was nice, back in the 70's.
Then you might enjoy this-

YouTube - 1969 Fingers Furniture Commercial Ch 39

Old 03-24-2009, 06:44 PM

6,866 posts, read 12,367,328 times
Awesome! Rep points for you Jezer! I remember that Ch. 39 logo too...they stayed with that well into the 70's.

Old 03-27-2009, 10:46 AM

1,290 posts, read 3,356,255 times
I thought the guy that owned Fingers died.

Old 03-27-2009, 10:45 PM

1,205 posts, read 1,619,952 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Supermac34 View Post
I thought the guy that owned Fingers died.
Bobby Finger, the (at the time) patriarch of the family, passed away last year. He was the pres of Finger's, but it was owned by him & other family members. His son Rodney took over. Within a few short weeks, they announced they were changing the name to Ashley Furniture. And so it goes...

Old 07-19-2009, 06:00 AM

1 posts, read 5,277 times
Yes Bobby died in 2007 right? and Rodney took over and in 2 years the whole company is gone? Very strange indeed. I worked at Fingers in the 90's for 3 years. I worked with Rodney, his dad made him work everywhere in the company to learn it and get a feel for it. Guess he didn't have MUCH of a feel for it. The Finger family has much cash i believe. They own apt's, lots of property, and one of the brothers or family members just headed a stockholder lawsuit against Bank of America - think they owned 2-5% or something - course that's in the 50-100 million range.....

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston